Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom router - setup as an access point - help

• 11-12-2012 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Really need help here, getting very frustrated with this device.
    Sounds simple but not having much luck following general guidance on setting up device as a access point.

Device: P-660HW-T1 v3

Anyone got any help, tried setting same SSID & security and disabling DHCP, etc, etc but to no avail. My main router is a similar device and it cuts out and needs rebooted allot when I am configuring the second one?
    Not sure what is going on, very close to throwing in the towel and paying 50euro for an actual access point but my pride is preventing me...!! :-(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Really need help here, getting very frustrated with this device.
    Sounds simple but not having much luck following general guidance on setting up device as a access point.

Device: P-660HW-T1 v3

Anyone got any help, tried setting same SSID & security and disabling DHCP, etc, etc but to no avail. My main router is a similar device and it cuts out and needs rebooted allot when I am configuring the second one?
    Not sure what is going on, very close to throwing in the towel and paying 50euro for an actual access point but my pride is preventing me...!! :-(

Here is the method I would go through.

1) connect pc / laptop to main router and take note of routers network settings I.e. IP address Etc and also the dhcp start and end address. And the security settings. Ssid and Wep / wpa.

2) disconnect the router and connect to your secondary router to the pc / laptop

3) set the ip address of the router this needs to be on the same subnet as the other router so if the main one is 192.168.1.1 the second one needs to be 192.168.1.X where x is a number between 2 and 254 usually the main one will end in either 1 or 254 if its 1 set the second as 2 if its 254 set the second router as 253. The subnet mask should be the same as the main router and the default gateway should be the address if the main router and turn off dhcp

4) connect the main router to the pc / laptop again and change the dhcp pool if the address of the second router is within the address range

5) connect the 2 routers using a LAN cable and connect the 2nd router to the desktop / laptop. Check the IP address of the pc and make sure you can ping both devices.

6) now you can login to the second router and match the wireless settings the only difference is select a channel with a bit of distance between the channel of the primary so if the primary was 11 select 7. Make sure not to leave them on auto.

7) test the wireless connection on the new router.

Hope all of that makes sense and I it's actually a wireless repeater you need I saw a thread earlier saying there is one in aldi : lidl for 30 euro.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

That's basically it, there is one other issue, make sure that DHCP is OFF on the second router, and don't connect anything to the ADSL connection port on the second router, the network link between the 2 has to be on one of the normal ethernet ports at each end.

Don't use the same SSID on both units, have router-1 and router-1A or something like that, the passkey can be the same though.

Make sure that you've saved all the settings on both routers, and not left it changed but not saved.

That should work, there are some issues with these routers losing their connect every so often, it's to do with the way they allocate the IP leases, but that's short term, even if it is annoying.

You should power cycle both routers after making the changes to force them to reload the correct settings, the most important factor is that the IP addess must be different, if they are not, then there will be serious confusion between the devices, and neither of them will work correctly.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭brendan_donegal

tried above and this doesn't work cannot route from pc to router 1 via router 2

So I can get router 2 setup and working but there is no communication between the 2 routers? Although I get a dhcp IP address from router 1 I cannot ping it or get out to the internet, I am really confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

tried above and this doesn't work cannot route from pc to router 1 via router 2

So I can get router 2 setup and working but there is no communication between the 2 routers? Although I get a dhcp IP address from router 1 I cannot ping it or get out to the internet, I am really confused.

Is the firewall turned on on router 2.

What is the ip address of router 1 and what is up of router 2.

Are all other devices disconnected from router 1.

Also if you are connected to router 1 with router 2 also connected to router 1 can you ping router 2.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

There's a thought, I have a vague recollection of having huge hassles getting an IP camera to route through an Eircom because the firewall level at default was too aggressive, and was blocking things. Have a look at the firewall level and set it one level below the default recommended.

The second router needs to be on a fixed IP address and NOT getting allocated by the DHCP system of the first router. That also needs to be set so that it knows it's fixed. It has to be outside of the DHCP range that the first router uses, as an example, my main router is 192.168.0.1, the second router is 192.169.0.3, and the DHCP range is then set to 192.168.0.10-100, and to complicate things further, I have a network printer set at address 192.168.0.240, not allocated by DHCP, so that the allocations in the PC's are not upset, the printer is fixed. That works fine, even for visitors that are not normally on the nework, as long as they have the drivers loaded on their machines.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭brendan_donegal

Well I purchased a wireless extender on ebay for €25, problem solved.

Advertisement