Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stadium bans

• 11-12-2012 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭

Following on from the coin throwing incident at Rio Ferdinand by Man City fans last sunday where they identified the culprit and have said he will be banned, Im just wondering how do clubs actually enforce these bans?

Anytime I've been to a match I just show my ticket at the turnstile and go in. If I was to wear a hat and turn up my collar I doubt I'd be recognised. So how do the clubs do it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Every time there is a home game on they lock them in a cage at a secure location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

They have a poster of the guy behind the desk and a caption that says "do not admit" under it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

In the case of any police enforced ban, the person in question has to report at a police station I think. Not sure exactly how it works though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

This is a question that im really interested to know the answer to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

In America a lot of the times a lifetime ban simply makes it easier to prosecute a repeat offender. The team wouldn't have to prove that the person started a fight etc as his mere presence in the stadium would constitute trespassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Haven't a clue myself but I can only imagine that they are barely enforced. Sure wasn't there an incident of crowd trouble a few months back (don't remember the specifics but it made the news and there was a thread started on the topic here) and yer man at the centre of it previously had a lifetime ban, and it was his third time being caught in a stadium doing something else that warranted a lifetime ban.
    I think the only real consequences it has is not being able to purchase a season ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Used to go to United games home and away from 88 to 91/92, One year, think it was around 88/89 we drew City in the 3rd round of the cup at OT, my mate was arrested outside for shoving a pie in a city fans face, he was banned for life from OT!!! That was when they were really clamping down.

He started supporting Millwall and was eventually banned from there for life too :rolleyes::rolleyes:

He goes to Old Trafford now and nothing happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

THFC wrote: »
    Haven't a clue myself but I can only imagine that they are barely enforced. Sure wasn't there an incident of crowd trouble a few months back (don't remember the specifics but it made the news and there was a thread started on the topic here) and yer man at the centre of it previously had a lifetime ban, and it was his third time being caught in a stadium doing something else that warranted a lifetime ban.
    I think the only real consequences it has is not being able to purchase a season ticket.

Think that was the fella who push/nched Chris Kirkland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

League of Ireland the stewards just remember your face! :(

PR excercise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

CSF wrote: »
    In the case of any police enforced ban, the person in question has to report at a police station I think. Not sure exactly how it works though.

pretty much this. I was having a pint with one of my new associates over here when the conversation randomly diverted to the fact that his 3 year stadium ban ended at the start of his season - I couldn't believe it; nice, quiet 33 yr old man from what I initially thought but they're all west ham fans around here so he would have been exposed to a fair bit of trouble before matches when growing up and it just kinda became the thing to do (his words, not mine).

Anyway, he had to report to police station when a match was on. He also had to surrender his passport when england or west ham were playing outside of the country. On top of that he also mentioned something about having to go through the police when booking holidays so they could make sure there was no chance he was going to a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Following on from the coin throwing incident at Rio Ferdinand by Man City fans last sunday where they identified the culprit and have said he will be banned, Im just wondering how do clubs actually enforce these bans?

Anytime I've been to a match I just show my ticket at the turnstile and go in. If I was to wear a hat and turn up my collar I doubt I'd be recognised. So how do the clubs do it?

The ban is enforced by the police, not the club. It is in essence a restraining order from the ground. His name is placed on a blocked list for ticket sales, and his face is made known to Stewards, and ticket office. If he does show up and is identified, the police are immediatley notified and he is arrested. I think the minimum sentenance is 3 months if the person is caught, which usually is extended to 6 months.

In the event that he gets a ticket via different streams, as is common, the owner or named buyer of the ticket also faces reprucussions which may result in them recieving a ban also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

baz2009 wrote: »
    Think that was the fella who push/nched Chris Kirkland
    That's the boy! Either his third time doing something stupid in a stadium or his third time being caught after his ban. As rarnes said, it's a PR exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

League of Ireland the stewards just remember your face! :(

I suppose, I have to be careful when I go to Tolka? ;)

Anyway, someone on a stadium ban, hasn't he to release his passport on matchdays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

You will be ok in Tolka, it only applies to stadiums !:D

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nothing happens.

They send you a letter saying you're banned and you just get a family member or friend to get your season ticket or match day tickets so your name doesn't appear on the computer.

As long as you're not notorious and also move to a different part of the ground you won't even have to throw a hat on or anything as the stewards there won't recognise you.

For international games it's more complex. You have to hand in your passport before tournaments and away games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Paully D wrote: »
    Nothing happens.

They send you a letter saying you're banned and you just get a family member or friend to get your season ticket or match day tickets so your name doesn't appear on the computer.

As long as you're not notorious and also move to a different part of the ground you won't even have to throw a hat on or anything as the stewards there won't recognise you.

For international games it's more complex. You have to hand in your passport before tournaments and away games.

Yeah, but whoever bought the ticket is open to punishment also, which aims to deter supporting banned members.

International away games don't all require you to hand in your passport. Was at the qualifiers in Bari and Lancara and picked up a ticket for the away end for 13 euro at the ticket office. I could have gone the FAI official route and pay 70 euro and hand in my passport but why would I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

At 12:18, this banned Rangers fan says he has to sign in to the cop station at the first half of each of their matches.

Advertisement