Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job search toronto ?

• 11-12-2012 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!
    So I've been reading through all these forums and was just wondering If u guys know much about job search if you aren't a male who has a trade??lol
    I'm female and I'd be interested in workin in banking or admin as that's where most if my experience is!! I'm a trained beautician and working in it now but I know there isn't much money in it really!!!
    Just thought I'd open up the floor for information in this area as it seems to be predominantly trade talk here lately!!!
    Thanks in advance guys!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MartyLK

flynnser19 wrote: »
    Hey guys!
    So I've been reading through all these forums and was just wondering If u guys know much about job search if you aren't a male who has a trade??lol
    I'm female and I'd be interested in workin in banking or admin as that's where most if my experience is!! I'm a trained beautician and working in it now but I know there isn't much money in it really!!!
    Just thought I'd open up the floor for information in this area as it seems to be predominantly trade talk here lately!!!
    Thanks in advance guys!!!!

Hi, I'm in the same boat, except I am male! But I don't have a trade.

I've been looking around for what I can expect to be paid in jobs I really would like and then the jobs that I might have to make do with.
    I've mainly been looking on workopolis.com, service canada job bank, monster.ca and kijiji also has a jobs section. You might want to have a look at those anyway.

Hope it all works out,

Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

Aww thank you I've been doing the same but didn't look at these websites I've been looking at craigslist and it seems like banking and admin is a nice wee wage and good hours so hopefully get something quickly when I get over but ill do bar work until I get sorted anyway!!!u going to toronto too???

Aww thank you I've been doing the same but didn't look at these websites I've been looking at craigslist and it seems like banking and admin is a nice wee wage and good hours so hopefully get something quickly when I get over but ill do bar work until I get sorted anyway!!!u going to toronto too???

Yeah it would be my first choice. I'm used to the busier city life from time in USA but am looking at other options too just in case.
    I'm thinking goin over and not expecting a whole lot to start with is best and anything else that comes is a bonus. Like you I'll be happy to take an initial job that's not my first choice just to get settled and bit of Canadian experience for the CV. Pay the rent and an odd night out for the first few months will have to do!!

Would imagine hostel for a week(ish) and get looking for a place when I'm there. Been lookin at best areas, expected rent etc too. Loads of good advice on these boards and another member pointed me towards the 'Irish & new in Toronto' facebook page too and people seem to advertise apartments and rooms there too.
    We'll not be stuck!:pac:

Marty

Oh I'll have to go find those on facebook!!
    Yea my cousins friend over there said the place everyone wants to vice is younger and Eglington but that is a right rip so best to just move a bit further out from downtown and near a subway line!!
    Yea I'm doing the hostel thing definitely for the first few weeks cause I wanna meet people to share with and grab a drink with and that so just gotta figure out which hostel is best!!!i won't have an awful lot of money with me so gotta take the first job that's offered initially!!im not working full time so I'd be lucky if I had 2000 euro with me!!!

Oh I'll have to go find those on facebook!!
    Yea my cousins friend over there said the place everyone wants to vice is younger and Eglington but that is a right rip so best to just move a bit further out from downtown and near a subway line!!
    Yea I'm doing the hostel thing definitely for the first few weeks cause I wanna meet people to share with and grab a drink with and that so just gotta figure out which hostel is best!!!i won't have an awful lot of money with me so gotta take the first job that's offered initially!!im not working full time so I'd be lucky if I had 2000 euro with me!!!

Yeah anywhere north of city near a subway line seems to be a good idea. Unemployed myself so wont be too flush either but 2500 dollars will be fine if you're wise about it I would think!

• Advertisement

I'm hoping some family members will give me some extra cash if I have a bit if a going away shindig lol that's terrible I know!!!
    Yea I moved to Edinburgh with 200euro in my pocket and was there for two years so here's hoping I can hustle like I did then lol
    We will be fine!!!when u thinking of heading away???

I'm hoping some family members will give me some extra cash if I have a bit if a going away shindig lol that's terrible I know!!!
    Yea I moved to Edinburgh with 200euro in my pocket and was there for two years so here's hoping I can hustle like I did then lol
    We will be fine!!!when u thinking of heading away???

Ha, I'd say most people are thinkin the same way right enough!:D

Ideally would want to be out for the whole Summer but not likely to have saved enough by then so sometime in August I would think, You??

I'm thinking may or June time so I can enjoy my first few months I don't wanna arrive in winter and be miserable I want some time to get used to living there before it gets dark and snowy hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

I'm thinking may or June time so I can enjoy my first few months I don't wanna arrive in winter and be miserable I want some time to get used to living there before it gets dark and snowy hahaha
    If you go in May, you'll be competing with students for coming out of college for jobs (and summer jobs) so it'll be tough to get any temp work in admin or banking.

My advice would be go in April or late August. A lot more jobs on offer (I'm talking from experience living in TO).

Oh thank you!!!id go in April as long as my visa is through by then!!!heres hoping they're quick this year lol thanks again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

looder wrote: »
    If you go in May, you'll be competing with students for coming out of college for jobs (and summer jobs) so it'll be tough to get any temp work in admin or banking.

My advice would be go in April or late August. A lot more jobs on offer (I'm talking from experience living in TO).

How are you enjoying TO looder? Has it met your expectations?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

My advice would be to look at smaller cities rather than jumping straight into toronto.Toronto can be expensive to live in especially when starting up.Yes it might have more big job opportunities,but for the first few months you'll expect to get a small job without much pay which will leave you with little wiggle room when it comes to paying bills.With smaller cities when you're starting out (st.cathrines,hamilton,london,kitchener etc etc.),you'll have lower rent with the same wage you'd expect from a job in toronto which means you'll be more stable starting out.

Also note that a lot of accommodation isn't furnished,something to look out for.

Oh an when i say small cities,they're still fairly massive.

Well I've friends in toronto and family there so I'd not wanna be anywhere else to be honest but thanks for the advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Accrual Intentions

Flynnser, no interest in Calgary!? Not wanna be near the family? ;)

Ok clearly one of Neil's friends!!!which one??

Oh wait I've figured it out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Only Advice I have is be prepared to wait a while for a job, took me nearly 3 months to get my first position and that was just a temporary administrative job for 2 months. Once you get your first job though things start to happen and having a Canadian reference helps a lot!

Oh, and live downtown for gods sake!

Thanks so much for the heads up lol

Advertisement