Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good restaurant?

Options
  • 11-12-2012 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, so I got a good friend coming next week to Ireland, she will be here for a week. So it's me and two girls we are looking for some good restaurant in Dublin city center, I live in city center but I never really went to restaurants. We plan to go to restaurant some evening, not looking for any kind of specific culture food, in fact we don't want any cultural food (Asian, Hindu or any other) just plain typical food which is made by restaurant and not just some nations standart if you know what I mean. Some food like in Eddie Rockets. We would go to Eddie Rockets but we don't want kind of quick place where doors open and close every second (people walking in and out every second) may as well go to McDonalds in that case. We want like a formal/classy/relaxed restaurant. Must be somewhere in city center, working late nights, sell alcohol like wine and not be too expensive. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

How about The Counter in Suffolk Street? They do custom built burgers - you get an order form when you go in and you choose everything from the type of bun to the salad, toppings, type of cheese and actual burger. They do beers and other drinks too. I have only been once but it was nice food and something different.

http://www.thecounterburger.com/dublin_suffolk_street/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

The counter is still a burger joint though. I'd recommend jc peaches Nassau st, le bon crubeen talbot st, the bridge near grand canal and the kitchen off grafton st.
    arleitiss wrote: »
    Hey, so I got a good friend coming next week to Ireland, she will be here for a week. So it's me and two girls we are looking for some good restaurant in Dublin city center, I live in city center but I never really went to restaurants. We plan to go to restaurant some evening, not looking for any kind of specific culture food, in fact we don't want any cultural food (Asian, Hindu or any other) just plain typical food which is made by restaurant and not just some nations standart if you know what I mean. Some food like in Eddie Rockets. We would go to Eddie Rockets but we don't want kind of quick place where doors open and close every second (people walking in and out every second) may as well go to McDonalds in that case. We want like a formal/classy/relaxed restaurant. Must be somewhere in city center, working late nights, sell alcohol like wine and not be too expensive. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

Try Dux and Co on Wellington Quay, the food is delicious and the atmosphere is very friendly and relaxed, plus it's ByoB, so you can bring along a bottle of wine or beers yourself and they will charge you a small amount for corkage.

3 of us had 3 courses and were absolutely stuffed for 75euro

http://www.duxandco.eu/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

sweetie wrote: »
    The counter is still a burger joint though. I'd recommend jc peaches Nassau st, le bon crubeen talbot st, the bridge near grand canal and the kitchen off grafton st.

I was trying to think of somewhere similar to Eddie Rockets but not quite Eddie Rockets :D

The Kitchen is quite nice alright! I haven't been to the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Ely Brasserie in IFSC does looooovely burgers :) Classy place as well!

Boxty House in Temple Bar also nice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Thanks for the help. Yeah I been walking past Ely yesterday just opposite to IFSC near the lights. Seems like a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

I'd say Captain America's on Grafton St or TGI Friday's on Stephen's Green!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Both of them fall down on the doors opening/closing busy-ness factor though. Usually both wedged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Alfies on Sth William Street. Nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ajjmk wrote: »
    I'd say Captain America's on Grafton St or TGI Friday's on Stephen's Green!

The OP wants somewhere classy. Captain America's is far short of that description.

Try Fire on Dawson St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Actually, Nando's wouldn't be a bad bet. It'll be busy but I rate it anyway. Certainly a notch up from Captain America's.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Thanks for the help. Yeah I been walking past Ely yesterday just opposite to IFSC near the lights. Seems like a nice place.

There are 3 elys in city centre. IFSC, Grand canal docks and Merrion square/ pembroke st. Skinflint and crackbird would be good shouts, also Matt the Thresher.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

AnonoBoy wrote: »

The OP wants somewhere classy. Captain America's is far short of that description.

Try Fire on Dawson St.
    Yeah but they mentioned Eddie rockets lol

The Farm on Dawson street

Yeah but they mentioned Eddie rockets lol

The Farm on Dawson street

By referencing Eddie Rockets I meant that it has a pretty nice food (honestly, one of the best foods I ate in Dublin) but I still feel like it's kind of like McDonalds quick and simple.

Okay in other words:
    Place that's not huge and doesn't have 50 branches across country :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Winding Stair - traditional, well cooked Irish food.

http://winding-stair.com/a-la-carte-menu/

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Le bon crubeen on talbot street is really lovely and reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

If you want a great burger and nice atmosphere, I’d definitely recommend either Dax Café Bar or any of the Ely Winebars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Bobo's have opened on dame street - have beer on tap and plenty of wine.

http://www.bobos.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Green 19 is highly recommended.

http://www.green19.ie/

Jamies Italian in Dundrum is also very good. Fifteen minutes from St Stephens Green on the Luas. Requires booking though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Asador on Haddington Rd. Only recently opened, but they do fantastic burgers cooked on a proper barbecue. Strongly recommend!

• Advertisement

I don't mean quite burgers, I don't like them, by typical food I meant things like starts, mains. Different kinds of meat, spaghetti or potatoes or something. But thanks I will check out all the links and names, as I still got a time to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Asador on Haddington Rd. Only recently opened, but they do fantastic burgers cooked on a proper barbecue. Strongly recommend!
    Oh, that's on my to-go list! Hearing very good things about it.
    I don't mean quite burgers, I don't like them, by typical food I meant things like starts, mains. Different kinds of meat, spaghetti or potatoes or something. But thanks I will check out all the links and names, as I still got a time to think.
    With respect, OP, if you use Eddie Rocket's as your example, you are going to get burger recommendations. Starters and mains doesn't really help with restaurant suggestions, apart from ruling out winebars and tapas :confused:
    Might be worth checking out Brasserie 66, they do a lot of roasts. Bear in mind that if you're going before Christmas, a lot of places have set menus for Christmas party season.

Advertisement