Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to travel to China for Summer and work.

Options
  • 11-12-2012 5:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi guys, so basically I'm in 1st year studying Chinese and Commerce and I want to travel to China next Summer to improve my Chinese and also live there and work for the Summer.
    2 of my friends are moving there too for the few months and we'd be living together, so we're wondering what would be the best job to get that would pay well?
    Seeing as we don't have a college degree YET, is teaching completely out of the question?
    How much do you think we'd need to live off per month, and what do you think is the best paying job that we could go for with our qualifications (just leaving cert and work experience really)?
    We really want to teach, is this possible without any experience or degree?
    I'd reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally appreciate if someone could answer as I really want to know as soon as possible as it will take a while to organise. Thanks so much. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Hi guys, so basically I'm in 1st year studying Chinese and Commerce and I want to travel to China next Summer to improve my Chinese and also live there and work for the Summer.
    2 of my friends are moving there too for the few months and we'd be living together, so we're wondering what would be the best job to get that would pay well?
    Seeing as we don't have a college degree YET, is teaching completely out of the question?
    How much do you think we'd need to live off per month, and what do you think is the best paying job that we could go for with our qualifications (just leaving cert and work experience really)?
    We really want to teach, is this possible without any experience or degree?
    I'd reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally appreciate if someone could answer as I really want to know as soon as possible as it will take a while to organise. Thanks so much. :D
    Hey I'm first year doing Chinese in Ucd :D also hoping to go to china in the summer and the hanban agency runs a free course for foreign students to go to in the summer! Our lecturers said that you get everything paid for apart from your flight and its quite easy to get (and supposed to be really good)! I suggest that you talk to someone in the Chinese department in your university ! I'm not sure if this is what your looking for but I hope that I was some help !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 seandooleyking

haro124 wrote: »
    Hey I'm first year doing Chinese in Ucd :D also hoping to go to china in the summer and the hanban agency runs a free course for foreign students to go to in the summer! Our lecturers said that you get everything paid for apart from your flight and its quite easy to get (and supposed to be really good)! I suggest that you talk to someone in the Chinese department in your university ! I'm not sure if this is what your looking for but I hope that I was some help !

Thanks so much this seems really helpful. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 zjmajm

First, to answer your question about teaching without degree, NOT A CHANCE.

Second, about living cost, Its very much depend on which city you live in (of course cheaper than Dublin). get on youtube, there are quite a lot good clips about living in china.

If you come here for money, im telling you not a good place (It pays sh%t in here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

zjmajm wrote: »

Second, about living cost, Its very much depend on which city you live in (of course cheaper than Dublin). get on youtube, there are quite a lot good clips about living in china.

If you come here for money, im telling you not a good place (It pays sh%t in here).

Sorry but you are incorrect here it may be harder to get a teaching job without a degree but it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

You basturd OP! for one sweet moment I thought you were offering me a summer in China. I should of known with the lack of a question mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Draper666

If you are a student best plan is to Go to Omeida in Yangshuo. http://www.omeida.com.cn/ Yangshuo has great bars, rock climbinging cycling etc. How you do it is you get a 3 month holiday visa and go to Omeida. They will give you food and Accommodation for free in exchange for a few hours a week chatting with students then you just go into town and get a job. Very Easy you can teach English in one of the many schools or just be a freelance teacher. If you try you can be an outdoor guide or work in a Hotel . The hardest part is just saying fudge it and taking the plunge

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Surly you should be learning mandran as oppose to chinese

Oh and you can live for less than 400 euro a month so if you bring 1000 you can get by on just odd jobs

Mandarin is Chinese .

• Registered Users Posts: 26 leahwechat

I think degree is not very import for a foreignal teacher in Training institutions.You know taht english learing is very popular in China today,if you can speak english fluently,then you can be a foreignal teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

First, to answer your question about teaching without degree, NOT A CHANCE. ..

First salvo of garbage.
    Second, about living cost, Its very much depend on which city you live in (of course cheaper than Dublin)....

And the second. Cities like Shanghai (where I am), Hong Kong, and Beijing can and often are more expensive than Dublin, for a number of different things.

And the last one. What with the job I have and the current exchange rate between the yuan and the euro, I am pulling down some serious money.

He's not here for the money; he just said what was the best-paying job he could do with his qualifications. I'm sure he's thinking 'what will give me a decent standard of living' as opposed to 'what will allow me to cream it in over here'.

Not true. There are plenty of chain schools that will happily fake a degree for you just to get a foreign teacher here. Most cities have a shortage of foreigners willing to teach so there is massive demand. China is quite flexible about certain laws...

I have lived here for almost five years now. There are teaching jobs out there that will pay good money to those with some experience and the proper work attitude. The problem is that most foreigners come here with a playboy attitude and therefore get handed the lower end pay grades.

Due to the lower cost of living, I'm easily saving as much as I would in Ireland, whilst having a much higher standard of living. I work at a university in Xian and also part time in a language school.

Also you can get work in chinese businesses as the token foreigner and if you speak reasonable chinese, you can earn quite a packet. Horribly annoying work but probably more than you'll get in Ireland nowadays.

Lastly, you really should do some research (better yet get some real experience) before throwing out advice.

Advertisement