Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6month in hospital

Options
  • 11-12-2012 6:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

Our 6 month old boy has been in hospital since last thurs . We took him for his 6 month jab and nurse said you want to get that cough checked out so she rang doctor from down stairs to give him a once over. So glad she did, he was admitted into hospital with pneumonia.

He was in great form the day we admitted him but has gone hill since. This morn his stats has fallen, I'm gutted to be honest and just to give us another kick in the teeth our 3 year old daughter was coughing loads last night.

Our 3 year old was in hospital twice last year with pneumonia and the 2 nd time over Xmas . We're at our wits end with it all.

Thing is the hospital is jammed packed with babies with it.

Any body know of any natural remedies that can help kick these things into touch. I'm not looking for medical advice . Just some over the counter remedies to help people keep their kids safe this winter
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I'm sorry to hear about your kids - I hope your boy is home soon, and your girl turns out to be fine.

Pneumonia is an inflammation of the lung tissue, and it can have a variety of underlying causes. Infection with some virus or bacterium is the usual cause - and it can be a variety of different viruses or bacteria that are responsible - but it could be, e.g. a fungal infection that is the underlying cause.

Without knowing what is causing this problem for your kids, it's hard to say what you can do to reduce the likelihood of further attacks. For a baby up to six months, exclusive breastfeeding is associated with a reduced risk of pneumonia, but you're past that with your girl and just about past it with your boy. If you can, make sure nobody in the house smokes, and everyone observes propery hygiene, particularly with regard to washing of hands.

After that, you want to do what you can to boost your kids' immune systems (and your own). There is some evidence that a diet rich in essential fatty acids is associated with a healthy immune system, so make sure the girl's diet includes fish, soya or canola oil, seeds, leafy vegetables. If you're breastfeeding the boy, continue to do so at least until the winter is over. Possibly fish-oil capsules for the girl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That's awful.. You poor things. There is a vaccine available for some pneumonias. Ask the doctors in the hospital. It is expensive, but might be worth it if they keep picking it up.

I would take a look at where you live for possible causes too. Pets, or any damp areas with mould. Old airconditioners, air heaters or water filters. Contact with other people with it.

Keep them well fed, vitamin D is good this time of year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

pwurple wrote: »
    That's awful.. You poor things. There is a vaccine available for some pneumonias. Ask the doctors in the hospital. It is expensive, but might be worth it if they keep picking it up.

I have been getting this vaccine (Prevenar 13) for my daughter and she is due her 4th dose tomorrow. It only protects against 13 strains of the virus. Here in Spain it costs just under 70€ per dose, but I think it is worth it particularly as she is in creche and picking up all sorts of things.

Advertisement