Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foreign players to get cultural lessons

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Neil3030 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20672812

:rolleyes:

Someone remind me, what part of "foreign" did John Terry come from?

This is the main point you should be highlighting.
    Separate to this, the FA is considering introducing a fixed ban for racist offences to avoid the discrepancy which occurred with the length of bans handed out to Suarez and Terry

It should be a fixed penalty across the board, 8 games seems harsh and 4 games isnt enough, 6 maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

City have started this already. Here's English language and etiquette expert Carl Tevez teaching an Italian one of the great Christmas traditions -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

GavRedKing wrote: »
    This is the main point you should be highlighting.

It should be a fixed penalty across the board, 8 games seems harsh and 4 games isnt enough, 6 maybe?

No, I'm pretty sure I've highlighted the main point, i.e., that the notion that racism in football exists because of a failed assimilation of "foreigners" into the "British cultural environment" is extremely insulting.

Those bloody foreigners..

No, I'm pretty sure I've highlighted the main point, i.e., that the notion that racism in football exists because of a failed assimilation of "foreigners" into the "British cultural environment" is extremely insulting.

2 out of 3 high profile cases have involved foreginers so you can see where the FA are coming with this.

It does seems like an over reaction to a very small problem within the game, sitting down foregine players to walk them through the Do's and Don'ts of British culture is a bit mad.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Those bloody foreigners..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLIgXLo7JuAx5j738grgzP2b2UzPg52PPtfuS13OpXoZjP-ywhGg

2 out of 3 high profile cases have involved foreginers so you can see where the FA are coming with this.

It does seems like an over reaction to a very small problem within the game, sitting down foregine players to walk them through the Do's and Don'ts of British culture is a bit mad.

True but at the same time, for every high profile case, there are there are countless incidents of equal disgrace, which get less or often no attention.

But even taking the ones from the last week or so, which we know about - it wasn't foreign West Ham fans chanting anti-Semitic towards Spurs fans, and a foreigner probably wasn't arrested for racially abusing Bassong, and a foreigner probably wasn't charged with racially aggravated public disorder following the Manchester derby.

Look, the British game has cleaned itself up a LOT in recent years, particularly relative to other European countries (including the one in which I live), but imo, this directive is a complete smoke-screen to the profound racial problems that are deeply rooted in British culture.

True but at the same time, for every high profile case, there are there are countless incidents of equal disgrace, which get less or often no attention.

But even taking the ones from the last week or so, which we know about - it wasn't foreign West Ham fans chanting anti-Semitic towards Spurs fans, and a foreigner probably wasn't arrested for racially abusing Bassong, and a foreigner probably wasn't charged with racially aggravated public disorder following the Manchester derby.

Look, the British game has cleaned itself up a LOT in recent years, particularly relative to other European countries (including the one in which I live), but imo, this directive is a complete smoke-screen to the profound racial problems that are deeply rooted in British culture.

I'd agree with ya, fans often get away with stupid chants across the country as its " a bit of banter " or its just accepted by and large by the authorities.

I dont think its all British culture but its certainly deep rooted in the football community and its easy for a small miniority of fans to influence the whole ground too.

I dont think we'll ever see a complete eradication of racism or its roots from the game in Britain but this proposal by the FA, I'd agree with ya, is a joke really.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Does this include Irish players I wonder

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I'd agree with ya, fans often get away with stupid chants across the country as its " a bit of banter " or its just accepted by and large by the authorities.

I dont think its all British culture but its certainly deep rooted in the football community and its easy for a small miniority of fans to influence the whole ground too.

I dont think we'll ever see a complete eradication of racism or its roots from the game in Britain but this proposal by the FA, I'd agree with ya, is a joke really.

Completely agree on all points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Spurs fans considered foreign for the purposes of this initiative?

I'm pretty sure British fans have been calling them Yids for decades so they obviously didn't assimilate themselves into the culture properly from the start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Xavi6 wrote: »
    City have started this already. Here's English language and etiquette expert Carl Tevez teaching an Italian one of the great Christmas traditions -

They are both speaking a mixture of Italian and Spanish... weird...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bloody foreigners invented racism. If they don't like it they can just go back where they came from! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

They could do with making that open entry for fans aswell..

At what point in modern society are we going to recognise tribalism in football grounds isn't cool any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20672812

:rolleyes:

Someone remind me, what part of "foreign" did John Terry come from?
    "Suarez admitted calling Evra a negrito" :rolleyes: Why is this word still being reported when it was clearly fabricated to try and defend Suarez?
    Didn't he himself say it was negro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It'd be nice to see more foreign players joining in with the traditional feed of drinks after training each day, afternoon trips to the bookmakers and making a contribution to the after match roasting sessions down the local niteclub.

So many of them seem to waste their time in England with boring stuff like doing extra training sessions, studying for their UEFA coaching badges, and limiting their alcohol intake to a glass of wine with their family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

cambo2008 wrote: »
    "Suarez admitted calling Evra a negrito" :rolleyes: Why is this word still being reported when it was clearly fabricated to try and defend Suarez?
    Didn't he himself say it was negro?

Let it go.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeaKfmSaGroLHis9ua5C0-bsZRZPjWkP9QhI5ea60Y0rpFSvBn

If this starts a Suarez/Liverpool v Evra/Utd thread I'm closing it up.

SaulGoode9 wrote: »

Let it go.
    Honestly don't want to get into that, just pointing out the lazy uninformed journalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Honestly don't want to get into that, just pointing out the lazy uninformed journalism.

The article has been changed since you posted that - it now correctly says Suarez admitted to calling Evra "Negro".

• Advertisement

The article has been changed since you posted that - it now correctly says Suarez admitted to calling Evra "Negro".
    Well at least someone takes notice of my authority on these matters :pac:

Advertisement