Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone 6--Coming July 2013

• 11-12-2012 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's a bit early especially for those who just bought the iP5 ;)

Apparently Apple are going back to a 6 month cycle release for their products to compete with Android manufacturers etc..

According to one Wall Street observer, the new iPhone will include a “super HD” camera and screen, stronger battery and NFC.

What’s more, the iPhone 5S will arrive in a rainbow of colors, or at least 6-8 different colors, according to Jefferies analyst Peter Misek. Also on tap: the iPad 5 with an IGZO screen and more colors…

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/12/10/iphone-5s-june-2013/

So what do you want to see in the iphone 6?

Personally I'd like a 4.3 inch screen roughly equivalent to the SamsungS2.
    Quad-core with LTE , NFC, 2gb ram.
    I'd like SBsettings or something similar widget included as it's badly needed in ios.
    Maybe one or two widgets locked down as the last thing you want to see if a flood of widgets being released that are a pile of crap and just drain your battery etc..

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

S3 sized screen will mean i will move away from any new iPhones.
    i dont know what i would like to see in the next one tbh, NFC is a bit meh at the moment, i agree its the next big thing but at present i have used my NFC bank card a sum total of O times!

LTE, not an issue here in Ireland at present, sure doesnt the 5 have LTE?

I would like to see bluetooth/wifi on/off in the notification pull down bar though.
    Stronger battery is always good, no matter how well your battery currently performs.

Various colours : i cant believe apple havent done this already tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

same story different date was run this time last year.

it's a slow news day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I believe it when I see it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Various colours stinks of desperation to me. The iPhone has been Apple's flagship consumer media device for the last five years. For some reason when I think of various colours, I think "iPod" and so offering the phone in these same colours seems like a demotion of the product to just one of the iPod range, a desperate attempt to boost sales by whatever means.

Just a gut feeling, I could be wrong.

Larger screen, no way. That would definitely be desperation, too much of a change. A significantly sharper screen, better camera (the Nokia Lumia is annihilating everyone else on that), 128GB storage. Anything else groundbreaking will come as an iOS update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What is this? The Onion? :confused:

• Advertisement

July 2012 OP? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This isn't a rumour. It's just so-called analysts pulling predictions out of their arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

kceire wrote: »
    S3 sized screen will mean i will move away from any new iPhones.
    i dont know what i would like to see in the next one tbh, NFC is a bit meh at the moment, i agree its the next big thing but at present i have used my NFC bank card a sum total of O times!

LTE, not an issue here in Ireland at present, sure doesnt the 5 have LTE?

I would like to see bluetooth/wifi on/off in the notification pull down bar though.
    Stronger battery is always good, no matter how well your battery currently performs.

Various colours : i cant believe apple havent done this already tbh.

NFC in your phone has far more uses than just paying for things. can be used for changing settings etc. I have one on computer in work and one swipe changes all the settings for work, ie silent wifi off etc

Regarding the screen I think this will always be a contentious issue with iphones as with effectively only one model they are trying to cater to too wide a market with a wide range of preference.

Wonder if they go for a six month cycle again could they effectively have a 1 year cycle? ie the iphone 5 has one set of design ideolgies regarding screen size and performance etc and the iphone 5s has a bigger screen? then if you want the smaller screen stay on the whole numbers and the bigger stay on the s series?

This would work in my mind as people don't upgrade every 6 months, and the previous phones are on sale from apple for a good few iterations.

PS I believe the title should be 2013... ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This thread is based on a nonsense article.

Is there anyone here who really thinks Apple isn't going to release a 5S next Autumn with a faster processer, better camera, and some other underwhelming update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Dades wrote: »

Is there anyone here who really thinks Apple isn't going to release a 5S next Autumn with a faster processer, better camera, and some other underwhelming update?

It's not that..it's that Apple will release it in June returning to a 6 monthly cycle.
    That's really the big news here...although I do like the suggestion one chap had above..with alternating cycles for the products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Blazer wrote: »
    It's not that..it's that Apple will release it in June returning to a 6 monthly cycle.
    That's really the big news here...although I do like the suggestion one chap had above..with alternating cycles for the products.

Surely if it was returning to a 6 month cycle the phone would release in April?

Surely if it was returning to a 6 month cycle the phone would release in April?

You'd think or maybe it'll be
    June-Dec ? That way in time for summer and xmas rushes, but you're right..June-Dec would be putting it too close to xmas to fully meet demand..unless they do the radical changes like chassis shape etc in the June runs and incremental speed increases to cpu/gpu etc for the dec runs thus ensuring supply is still plentiful.
    I have a 4s and can upgrade to the 5 at three but I'm nearly out of contract and since they removed tethering since last Jan I'm not inclined to sign a new contract. Will hope off and see what else comes out over the next few months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple have never released anything on a 6 month cycle. I don't think this story is claiming that they will either, just that they may be going back to releasing the iPhone mid-year, rather than in September/October. Which is certainly a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Me. Not that I think the iPhone 5 was an underwhelming update either, what with everything changing.

I think they will go to a 6 month cycle. This colored iPhone could be the cheaper model - in fact maybe it is the iPod touch, with a sim ( and a separate product to the main one).

In any case its interesting that attempts by Apple to follow the industry - if that is what is happening with larger screens - is desperation, while with everybody else it is just business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You'd think or maybe it'll be
    June-Dec ? That way in time for summer and xmas rushes, but you're right..June-Dec would be putting it too close to xmas to fully meet demand..unless they do the radical changes like chassis shape etc in the June runs and incremental speed increases to cpu/gpu etc for the dec runs thus ensuring supply is still plentiful.
    I have a 4s and can upgrade to the 5 at three but I'm nearly out of contract and since they removed tethering since last Jan I'm not inclined to sign a new contract. Will hope off and see what else comes out over the next few months.
    I renewed my contract with Three and can still Tether on the iPhone. As far as I'm aware it's only new customers that won't be able to tether!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really think you should learn the difference between rumour and news.

There's nothing here at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Me. Not that I think the iPhone 5 was an underwhelming update either, what with everything changing.
    You're reading stuff into my post there, horse! The iP5 was a jump. The "S" models we see every second year aren't.
    I think they will go to a 6 month cycle. This colored iPhone could be the cheaper model - in fact maybe it is the iPod touch, with a sim ( and a separate product to the main one).
    The fact that they have historically taken 2 years to materially change each version of the iPhone suggests to me that every 6 months is a nonsense. Even more minor speed bumps etc every six months would be pointless.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

AdMMM wrote: »
    I renewed my contract with Three and can still Tether on the iPhone. As far as I'm aware it's only new customers that won't be able to tether!

Not according to their T&Cs you can't. Anyone who upgraded or signed new contracts after 1/1/12 can't tether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

You're reading stuff into my post there, horse! The iP5 was a jump. The "S" models we see every second year aren't.

The fact that they have historically taken 2 years to materially change each version of the iPhone suggests to me that every 6 months is a nonsense. Even more minor speed bumps etc every six months would be pointless.

WEll the past is not just for extrapolating, as the wise man said.

Apple have never released anything on a 6 month cycle. I don't think this story is claiming that they will either, just that they may be going back to releasing the iPhone mid-year, rather than in September/October. Which is certainly a possibility.

Wrong...new ipad ? Only out 6 months with a refresh already.
    Personally i think that's what we're going to see in future.
    Apple can't allow android devices to keep outdoing them hardware wise so I think with Cook at the helm he'll switch to a 6 month release for iphone/ipad with incremental updates mid-year and full refresh every year.
    Then again I could be completely wrong :D

• Advertisement

Just because Apple released a new iPad early, breaking their 1 year release schedule, doesn't mean there's going to be a new iPad every 6 months.

Personally i think that's what we're going to see in future.
    Apple can't allow android devices to keep outdoing them hardware wise so I think with Cook at the helm he'll switch to a 6 month release for iphone/ipad with incremental updates mid-year and full refresh every year.
    Then again I could be completely wrong :D

Android devices are being released by multiple manufacturers at various times so would just be impossible to keep up with.

Think new iPad was driven by new power cable.

Just because Apple released a new iPad early, breaking their 1 year release schedule, doesn't mean there's going to be a new iPad every 6 months.

you could also say that potentially they could :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

They need to change something. Samsung are catching up fast.

Then again. Maybe Apple are just happy to very profitable. They may not care if there no longer the market leading phone.

I personally hope Samsung start eating into them. So Apple drop the price and I get a cheaper iPhone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i can't see apple doing a cheaper phone, then again they could prove me completely wrong.

samsung is just now becoming healthy competition. i just hope apple (now with Ive at the design helm) will beat samsung in form and design as opposed to in the courts.

They need to change something. Samsung are catching up fast.

Then again. Maybe Apple are just happy to very profitable. They may not care if there no longer the market leading phone.

I personally hope Samsung start eating into them. So Apple drop the price and I get a cheaper iPhone :)

How are Samsung catching up fast? (Don't forget they sell more than one type of phone)

Why do they need to change something? Wasn't the 5 a change? Have you seen the iPhone 5's sales figures?

Either way I think it's a cycle of both companies striving forward and being successful until something new comes along!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So Apple drop the price and I get a cheaper iPhone :)

They are the same price when comparing like for like :confused:

Dont compare a factory unlocked iPhone sold from the apple Store to a network subsidised S3 or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

murpho999 wrote: »
    How are Samsung catching up fast? (Don't forget they sell more than one type of phone)

Why do they need to change something? Wasn't the 5 a change? Have you seen the iPhone 5's sales figures?
    Yes I have. And if you look you will also see samsung are catching up fast with individual handsets. link
    Think they need to change iOS. I think it's getting a bit stale. I think there innovating less. But it also could be that smartphones are peaking. Maybe there is not alot more that can be done.

@Kceire. Nah I was not comparing like that. I would just like Apple to feel under pressure. Hoping that they will decrease the price of there phones etc.
    I doubt they will though. They never did with Macs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The article itself is built on rumour and speculation. Of course there's going to be an iPhone 5s, and of course it's going to be released next year.

However, the release timeframe discussed in the article (apparently plucked out of thin air) suggests that Apple may be moving to a mid-year release cycle and not a six-month release cycle.

The iPhone 3G, 3Gs and 4 were all generally announced and released in June / July (mid-year) at an iPhone event. The 4s and 5 being announced released later in the year, replacing the time when Apple traditionally held their iPod event to reveal the new lines of iPods.

There are advantages to a mid-year release - it can stave off people who can't wait for a new phone, and hold off buying a new iPhone because they know there's one coming in September and ensure that production is able to meet demand for the Christmas / Holiday season later in the year.

The advantage to a release later in the year is that Apple can guarantee a bumper Q4, with plenty of headlines about how many bajillion iPhones they sold in 6-weeks. This would drive demand for Q1 of the following year.

A six-month release cycle would be more likely to fragment the platform than establish it further. Which hardware platform should developers focus on when developing an App / Game? If they start desigining something for the 5s when released in June, by the time it would gain any traction the 6 would be out in November, only to be replaced by the 6s in June. How many generations back would Apple support? etc.

The only reason the iPad 4 came so quick was to make the Lightning connector the norm (and they fixed a few issues with the iPad 3 as a clincher to help people move to it).

I would be very surprised if a 6-month cycle became the norm for Apple for iPhones or iPads.

• Advertisement

I really think they have to, to compete with Samsung and the likes.
    Like it or not the flagship android phones are beating Apple on features.
    Some gimmicky etc but others extremely useful.
    I have an S2 and a 4s.
    To playback the 4s on my TV I need to either connect it physically or use airplay via apple tv.
    My S2 can stream wirelessly directly to the TV as it's a Samsung as well..I know it's limited to Samsung Tv's but it's an incredibly nice feature to have.
    Other stuff like touching the back of the phone for playlists? = shíte
    Apple are losing people to Android and existing users as well so they need to stop this decline before it's too late.
    Wireless HDMI is the next killer feature in smartphones coming later this year..if Android phones allow this and Apple wait a year to catch up it's again too late.

Advertisement