Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone 6--Coming July 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Blazer wrote: »
    I really think they have to, to compete with Samsung and the likes.
    Like it or not the flagship android phones are beating Apple on features.
    Some gimmicky etc but others extremely useful.
    I have an S2 and a 4s.
    To playback the 4s on my TV I need to either connect it physically or use airplay via apple tv.
    My S2 can stream wirelessly directly to the TV as it's a Samsung as well..I know it's limited to Samsung Tv's but it's an incredibly nice feature to have.
    Other stuff like touching the back of the phone for playlists? = shíte
    Apple are losing people to Android and existing users as well so they need to stop this decline before it's too late.
    Wireless HDMI is the next killer feature in smartphones coming later this year..if Android phones allow this and Apple wait a year to catch up it's again too late.

Really the stuff youi're talking about is not used by the average user.

Most people, who wouldn't post here,are not worried about 'wireless hdmi'.

All this talk of Apple losing out but 90% of the smartphones I see in use at work and public transport are iPhones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I completely agree...but there's a reason the S3 is the best selling phone at the moment..it's how Samsung claimed all these features areon it etc...doesn't matter if 90% of people never use them..they just want to be able to claim that their phone has them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

murpho999 wrote: »
    All this talk of Apple losing out but 90% of the smartphones I see in use at work and public transport are iPhones.

have a look what teenagers are using that's what is important as whatever you use a young age you tend to stick to

while you may have die-hard fans that will always buy an iPhone they will soon be in the minority as Android becomes the dominant platform within the next 2-3 years

Apple need a budget iPhone or they will become another Sony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

kingtiger wrote: »
    have a look what teenagers are using that's what is important as whatever you use a young age you tend to stick to

while you may have die-hard fans that will always buy an iPhone they will soon be in the minority as Android becomes the dominant platform within the next 2-3 years

They do, but they need to keep margins up too. A conundrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Disagree entirely.

Apple's market is not teenagers but older more affluent type.

Why are you assuming that Android will always stay ahead of the curve.

Nobody knows what OS or platform will be the one to have in the future as something new will come out in years to come.

Also, people are not that brand loyal any more. As soon as something new or different comes out they'll switch at the drop of a hat, just like people switched to Apple from Nokia and Sony Ericsson.

• Advertisement

Disagree entirely.

Apple's market is not teenagers but older more affluent type.

due to Apple being the first to the market, this is slowly being eroded and when present day teenagers become older and more affluent they will stick to what they know
    Why are you assuming that Android will always stay ahead of the curve.

Judging by how much Apple have changed their iOS over the last five years I would say its a safe bet
    Nobody knows what OS or platform will be the one to have in the future as something new will come out in years to come.

not disputing this
    Also, people are not that brand loyal any more. As soon as something new or different comes out they'll switch at the drop of a hat, just like people switched to Apple from Nokia and Sony Ericsson.

its nothing to do with brand loyalty, its based on looking back at tech history, Sony had the market for a few years with the walkman, VHS / Betamax, IBM \ Microsoft, etc

why do you think there has been a $200 drop in Apples shares over the last few months?

due to Apple being the first to the market, this is slowly being eroded and when present day teenagers become older and more affluent they will stick to what they know

Not necessarily. In any case you haven't proven that teenagers buy Androids, thats just anecdotal.

Judging by how much Apple have changed their iOS over the last five years I would say its a safe bet

Android had a lot of catching up to do, iOS has had a lot of under the hood improvements.
    its nothing to do with brand loyalty, its based on looking back at tech history, Sony had the market for a few years with the walkman, VHS / Betamax, IBM \ Microsoft, etc

why do you think there has been a $200 drop in Apples shares over the last few months?

The argument you are making is - look at Sony, therefore Apple. Thats not an argument. Most markets stay diverse, with more than one standard.

iOS is going nowhere, in fact Android may be in more long term trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Back on topic, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I don't like how big the screen is on the S3. I think it would be a mistake for them to increase the screen of the iPhone 5S/6 to that size.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

G-Money wrote: »
    I don't like how big the screen is on the S3. I think it would be a mistake for them to increase the screen of the iPhone 5S/6 to that size.

No way I want one that size. The iPhone 5 is as big as I would want to see it go.

• Advertisement

4.3 I'd like.
    Have the S2 and 4s and I really like the size of the S2 screen..it's big enough for reading,browsin etc without having to zoom in and you can still navigate it with one hand and it feels very comfortable.
    The S3 screen was fantastic for browsing etc..but just too bloody big for every day use.
    I wouldn't mind the iphone 6 being a fraction wider..even if it kept a similiar width and just went edge to edge.

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

My contract is up in June and was going to upgrade to iP5 but think I'll maybe wait :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bumping for the lulz.

Rumours out today of a iPhone mini or iPhone lite or something on the way to compete with the cheaper Android devices:
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/news/?newsid=3419510&pagtype=allchandate

My gut feeling is that Jobs is barely cold in the ground and they're already doing things which he had effectively sworn against, like an iPad mini.

I can't see people jumping at a watered-down iPhone tbh. The current screen is pretty small in relative terms to the rest of the market, so a small screen won't appeal to most smartphone users. Hacking down the hardware will make iOS run like a dog. Hacking down the hardware and crippling iOS to maintain performance would make it far inferior to any android devices on the market.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

seamus wrote: »
    Bumping for the lulz.

Rumours out today of a iPhone mini or iPhone lite or something on the way to compete with the cheaper Android devices:
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/news/?newsid=3419510&pagtype=allchandate

My gut feeling is that Jobs is barely cold in the ground and they're already doing things which he had effectively sworn against, like an iPad mini.

I can't see people jumping at a watered-down iPhone tbh. The current screen is pretty small in relative terms to the rest of the market, so a small screen won't appeal to most smartphone users. Hacking down the hardware will make iOS run like a dog. Hacking down the hardware and crippling iOS to maintain performance would make it far inferior to any android devices on the market.

Or glass is proving expensive, make a 4S sized and spec but iphone 5 alu type back and sell it in 8-16GB. Discontinue 4s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Froyo

Perhaps the failing iPhone 5 will usher in an improved iPhone and OS this summer...

Although many don't use certain features of Android handsets, it's obvious people believe their more expensive device should be capable of the same.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323596204578240440691304344.html
    Apple Inc. AAPL -0.62% has cut its orders for components for the iPhone 5 due to weaker-than-expected demand, people familiar with the situation said Monday.

Apple's orders for iPhone 5 screens for the January-March quarter, for example, have dropped to roughly half of what the company had previously planned to order, two of the people said.

Enlarge Image

Bloomberg News
    Customers stood outside a KDDI Corp. outlet prior to the launch of the Apple Inc. iPhone 5 in Tokyo in September.

The Cupertino, Calif., company has also cut orders for components other than screens, according to one of the people.

Apple notified the suppliers of the order cut last month, the people said.

The move indicates that sales of the new iPhone haven't been as strong as previously anticipated and demand may be waning. It comes as the company has been facing greater challenges from Samsung Electronics Co. 005930.SE +1.24% and other makers of smartphones powered by Google Inc.'s GOOG -0.20% Android operating system.

While Apple has set the agenda for the smartphone market since it released its first iPhone in 2007, South Korea's Samsung, which sells many Android-based models at various price points, has already overtaken the U.S. company as the world's largest smartphone vendor by market share. Demand is also growing for inexpensive smartphones from Chinese makers such as Huawei Technologies Co.

In the 2012 third quarter, Apple held 14.6% of world-wide smartphone shipments, down from a peak of 23% in the fourth quarter of 2011 and the first quarter of 2012, according to IDC.

Apple cut orders for iPhone 5 components on lower-than-expected demand. The WSJ's Juro Osawa talks about whether sales of Apple's latest smartphone are slowing.

Samsung's share, meanwhile, rose to 31.3% in the third quarter of 2012, compared with 8.8% in the third quarter of 2010.

The Korean company said earlier this month that it expects to report another record operating profit for the fourth quarter of 2012, capping its best year ever amid strong sales of its Galaxy line of smartphones. The company expects an operating profit equivalent to between $8.1 billion and $8.5 billion for the three months ended in December.

Apple is slated to report earnings later this month.

The iPhone 5, released in September, represents Apple's effort to maintain its strong position amid intensifying competition. The latest model comes with a longer, four-inch screen compared with the 3.5-inch screens used in all previous iPhone models.

Japan's Sharp Corp. 6753.TO +12.63% and Japan Display Co. and South Korea's LG Display Co. 034220.SE -2.20% are the three suppliers of the screens, according to people with knowledge of the matter. When the iPhone 5 was launched, there were concerns that suppliers might not be able to produce enough to keep up with demand.

Apple representatives weren't immediately available for comment.

Apple's cut in orders may also affect first-quarter sales of component makers, some of which are largely dependent on the U.S. company. The fact that some iPhone components are highly customized makes it difficult for suppliers to find alternative buyers in a short time frame. Sharp, one of the suppliers of the screens, has been struggling financially with a cash crunch and losses from its television operations.

Japan's Nikkei reported earlier Monday that Apple has slashed its orders for iPhone 5 components.

Be careful with these reports, no stock is as manipulated as Apple's.

To be expected and happens on a yearly basis.
    Demand is always high at the start of the iphone cycle and gets lower the closer you get to a newer model.
    Its now 4-5 months since iphone 5 was launched and each year Apple start to cut back on demand components etc about 6 months into the life cycle.

This happens with most businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think people are becoming immune to the Apple hype. After the broken nonsense that was Siri, the Google Maps and Youtube app fiascos and the fact that really there's barely any difference between an iPhone 3 and a an iPhone 5. Five generations of iPhones and they're still pretty much the same thing with the same IOS. The incremental improvements are too small now and IOS is desperate need of a major overhaul.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

No difference at all apart from the upgraded software and massively upgraded hardware.

Are you suggesting that iOS should be completely different in each new version?

I think people are becoming immune to the Apple hype. After the broken nonsense that was Siri, the Google Maps and Youtube app fiascos and the fact that really there's barely any difference between an iPhone 3 and a an iPhone 5. Five generations of iPhones and they're still pretty much the same thing with the same IOS. The incremental improvements are too small now and IOS is desperate need of a major overhaul.

Barely any difference? I'm sure a lot of 3 owners would disagree with you.
    I have to laugh at android owners each release of android...
    "woah..Honeycomb here is here...it's so smooth..take that ios.."
    woah ICS is here..it's so smooth...take that ios..
    woah 4.1 is here..it's so smooth..take that ios..
    woah..4.1 with project butter is here..it's so smooth.take that ios"

Had a few conversations with my tech mates who all have android (I have both) and they were boasting about widgets etc..so I asked them..how often do they use them? their answer...only when locking/unlocking the screens etc.
    So to me ..widgets are basically useless and a nice to have feature..
    There are some that are excellent in fairness such as one touch wifi/bluetooth off etc that should be in ios but for the majority of them? complete rubbish.

One of the reason IOS has barely changed is that it has a very low footprint compared to android and even the iphone 3g was still getting updates 3 years after it's release...how many android devices can claim that?
    I'd take a chance and say a big fat zero :D

Now I'm not against Android and think it's a fantastic mobile OS and definitely more customized than ios etc, but I have huge problems with the lack of security in the app store and the lack of updates that get pushed out to phones.
    IOS on the other hand is extremely secure..unless you jailbreak which can leave you open to such..but in fairness how many iphone users jailbreak or even know what it is.
    I'd definitely like IOS to grow a bit and add one touch widget for wifi/bluetooth etc but I'm more interested in getting a better battery which lasts days than a fancy widget I glance at once or twice a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I went from a 32gb 3GS to a 64gb 4S which I've had for slightly over a year. I'm still in contract with it and it's still my only phone, so believe me I'm not some Android evangelist.

Aside from the storage space - which was the main deciding factor in me buying the 4S - it's all but the same phone. My girlfriend has an iPhone and it's the exact same phone as my 4S to my layman's eyes, aside from the screen size.

I went from a 32gb 3GS to a 64gb 4S which I've had for slightly over a year. I'm still in contract with it and it's still my only phone, so believe me I'm not some Android evangelist.

Aside from the storage space - which was the main deciding factor in me buying the 4S - it's all but the same phone. My girlfriend has an iPhone and it's the exact same phone as my 4S to my layman's eyes, aside from the screen size.

more ram, dual core faster cpu and graphics, retina display? It might look similiar but there's a big difference in performance.
    I agree the iphone lags behind in hardware to the android phones but the whole IOS ecosystem is streets ahead of android.
    A recent analyst claimed that the iphone is the best google phone in the world..he meant it as in all the google apps that are on it and integrated within ios.
    I quite agree wiht him... I don't trust my Samsung or google to do my banking online on it ,..no such qualms about doing it on the iphone though.

http://www.imore.com/iphone-once-again-one-best-google-phones-planet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭listermint

more ram, dual core faster cpu and graphics, retina display? It might look similiar but there's a big difference in performance.
    I agree the iphone lags behind in hardware to the android phones but the whole IOS ecosystem is streets ahead of android.
    A recent analyst claimed that the iphone is the best google phone in the world..he meant it as in all the google apps that are on it and integrated within ios.
    I quite agree wiht him... I don't trust my Samsung or google to do my banking online on it ,..no such qualms about doing it on the iphone though.

http://www.imore.com/iphone-once-again-one-best-google-phones-planet

Why ?

Im quite perplexed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

listermint wrote: »
    Why ?

Im quite perplexed.

As am I!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

iphone 3 vs 5 = fundementally the same phone, however:

* lighter, slimmer *more aesthetically pleasing (*subjective)
    * much faster (iphone3 is soooo sluggish)
    * much better camera (i dont think iphone 3 had video recording)
    * retina display (iphone3 display is bland compared to iphone5)

what more do you want?

and lets not let this thread degenerate into android vs ios /samsung vs apple nonsense

Why ?

Im quite perplexed.

Android is wide open for a huge number of dodgy apps.
    And I'm talking about tens of thousands...I downloaded one which was just some extremely basic app for my keyboard but it wanted full permission to access my phone,contacts, sms, internet etc..it was quickly removed.
    You might recall that a number of EU customers lost over €36 million in the past few months to such dodgy apps from their bank accounts...
    I'm extremely careful about what I install and download but it's just too much hassle with android to be constantly monitoring/watching what you download.

Have a quick read of this..I know it's the inquirer but all valid points. some hyperbole alright but I've been saying this for a long time now about android..and I was an android user years before taking up with apple.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/feature/2235734/outdated-android-devices-are-exposing-400-million-users-to-security-threats

Here's the background on the bank issue

http://dkmatai.tumblr.com/post/37277877990/sophisticated-smartphone-hacking-36-million-euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Android is wide open for a huge number of dodgy apps.
    And I'm talking about tens of thousands...I downloaded one which was just some extremely basic app for my keyboard but it wanted full permission to access my phone,contacts, sms, internet etc..it was quickly removed.
    You might recall that a number of EU customers lost over €36 million in the past few months to such dodgy apps from their bank accounts...
    I'm extremely careful about what I install and download but it's just too much hassle with android to be constantly monitoring/watching what you download.

Have a quick read of this..I know it's the inquirer but all valid points. some hyperbole alright but I've been saying this for a long time now about android..and I was an android user years before taking up with apple.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/feature/2235734/outdated-android-devices-are-exposing-400-million-users-to-security-threats

Here's the background on the bank issue

http://dkmatai.tumblr.com/post/37277877990/sophisticated-smartphone-hacking-36-million-euros

Okay so you installed a dodgy app and are blaming the OS.

You know you can do that apple and windows OS depending on your fancy right ? or do you need me to provide links. Would you still use your home PC for banking ?

Mute point, is mute.

Okay so you installed a dodgy app and are blaming the OS.

You know you can do that apple and windows OS depending on your fancy right ? or do you need me to provide links. Would you still use your home PC for banking ?

Mute point, is mute.

Both recent versions of OSX and Windows, would stop users from downloading from non-registered devs.

And, moot.

Android is wide open for a huge number of dodgy app[/url]

stop talking sh1te

you have to enable the phone to download from unknown sources to get these dodgy apps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

stop talking sh1te

you have to enable the phone to download from unknown sources to get these dodgy apps
    he meant that apps can request permissions that they may not need.

for an example:

a flash light app, requests permission to contacts/phone/sms and boom. they have phone numbers, ability to make phone calls etc.

Advertisement