Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone 6--Coming July 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

What has Androids security have to do with the iPhone 5S/6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

kingtiger wrote: »
    stop talking sh1te

you have to enable the phone to download from unknown sources to get these dodgy apps

no you don't...just shows you're completely clueless about mobile OS.

What has Androids security have to do with the iPhone 5S/6?

zero..I just wish the android lads would piss off back to the android forum..it's amazing how clueless they are..then again 5-6 years ago apple fanboys were the same...christ I hate fanboys with a passion..wish they'd all get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Froyo

Back on topic.

Here's an interesting article which speculates on the casing and screen technology of the next iPhone.

http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-iphone-6-rumors-features-may-include-hybrid-plastic-metal-design-release-date-late-2013-report

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I see they've started trotting out the same mockups already.

After signing up for 24 months to get the iPhone 5 on launch day, I hope and expect to see an identical looking iPhone 5S this Autumn. And frankly I very much doubt Apple will disappoint me.

Experience tells me to ignore everything random articles speculate on (in an attempt to get traffic) and pay attention only when external parts start leaking from Chinese factories, and get analysed by people who know what they're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Blazer wrote: »
    no you don't...just shows you're completely clueless about mobile OS.

oh master of all knowledge, could you give me an example of one of these apps please
    for an example:

a flash light app, requests permission to contacts/phone/sms and boom. they have phone numbers, ability to make phone calls etc.

any chance of an example?

I'd prefer a slightly bigger screen. The length of the 5 just looks a bit odd given the width is the same as the 4/s.

Would like to see NFC - I'm sure this is a given. My only concern would be Apple stifling its capabilities like they did with Bluetooth.

kingtiger wrote: »
    oh master of all knowledge, could you give me an example of one of these apps please
    any chance of an example?

I'm sorry but will you ever fúck back to the android forum ..ye're obviously bored off yere heads in there..go look for a custom rom for your S3 or something..that's if it's not failing from the mainboard issue ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Back on topic please. Less of the aggressive tone too, thanks.

• Advertisement

Battery life..that's what I want to see drastically improved..
    At least 3-4 day with normal usage etc..
    I wouldn't mind staying at dual core as barely any apps use them at the moment let alone quad-core.

I can't see any smartphone getting 3-4 days out of a charge unless its left locked in your pocket for those days. I find the battery on the 5 to be grand, with light-medium usage I'd usually have 50% left at the end of the day which I think is perfectly acceptable. Like if I knew I had to make it last two days I know I could (as long as I've another device for messing around online with :D)

Better battery capacity etc Graham..there's rumours Samsung have really improved their battery for the S4...but at the moment..it's just that.
    It would be nice though not to worry about battery etc if you were gone for a weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Glad I didn't switch to 5 so . Im still on the 4.

EoghanIRL wrote: »

I was the same..I planned on staying with the 4 but gave it to the brother and got a S3..after 3 weeks or so got sick of the size of it and flogged it and got the 4s. Battery life definitely worse than the 4 but to be expected.
    Ended up flogging that and getting the 5 on an upgrade about a month later and have to admit I love the phone..
    The battery issue is definitely an ios6 issue or app related.
    Finding I lost about 20% within 2 hours or so barely doing anything..
    Switching off 3g resolves it but definitely need a solution from apple.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Blazer wrote: »
    I was the same..I planned on staying with the 4 but gave it to the brother and got a S3..after 3 weeks or so got sick of the size of it and flogged it and got the 4s. Battery life definitely worse than the 4 but to be expected.
    Ended up flogging that and getting the 5 on an upgrade about a month later and have to admit I love the phone..
    The battery issue is definitely an ios6 issue or app related.
    Finding I lost about 20% within 2 hours or so barely doing anything..
    Switching off 3g resolves it but definitely need a solution from apple.

Of course with would resolve it. The phone constantly searching for the strongest 3 signal eats battery.

I unplugged my 5 at 6.30 this morning, used it for a small bit of browsing (maybe 40 mins) an a about 20 mins or so on the phone here and there, 3G and wifi are on and I've 87% can't see how anyone would have a problem with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I had serious problems with my iphone 5 battery life until I deleted the gmail app.

No issues now - it's not as good as my old 4 but it isn't bad.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    You'll be well ready for the iPhone 6 when it actually comes out in Autumn 2014, then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I think the iPhone 5 is great, though a prelude to what will probably be a serious step forward in 2014, in sync with OSXI (whenver that comes out).

Though I was - and still am - one of those fanboys bothered by the name. It is the sixth iPhone. But I get why it's called that.

• Advertisement

quad_red wrote: »
    I had serious problems with my iphone 5 battery life until I deleted the gmail app.

No issues now - it's not as good as my old 4 but it isn't bad.

yeah..I'm one of the gmail groups which are constantly emailing so I'm tempted to dump it altogether.
    Still I work in an office so I have an iphone charger so I can top up during the day, plus a car charger and since I have an audio dock for it which I play going to sleep I have a full charge every morning.

Dades wrote: »
    You'll be well ready for the iPhone 6 when it actually comes out in Autumn 2014, then.

For some stupid reason, you seem to take the release of a new iPhone personally.

This guy is usually on the money apparently:

techland.time.com/2013/01/16/apples-2013-in-rumors-fingerprint-sensors-and-more-retina-displays-but-no-tv
    A much slimmer iPad, an iPad Mini with a Retina display and an iPhone with a built-in fingerprint reader could all be on tap for 2013, according to one industry analyst.

As MacRumors reports, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has published a research report that tries to predict Apple‘s entire 2013 product lineup. Although analysts tend to have terrible track records with Apple rumors, Kuo is a notable exception.

Let’s do a quick look at some of his past forecasts:

Kuo’s January 2011 predictions about the iPad 2, including the dual-core processor, camera specs and screen resolution turned out mostly accurate. (He was off by 0.2 GHz on the clock speed of the A5 chip.)
    Apple’s iPhone 5 achieved a thickness of under 8 mm, thanks to in-cell touch technology and the use of a metal back plate instead of glass, just as Kuo predicted five months before launch.
    As Kuo expected, Apple discontinued the 17-inch MacBook Pro last year and redesigned its iMacs, but without Retina displays.
    That’s a pretty good track record. So let’s hear out Kuo’s predictions for 2013:

The iPhone 5S will be similar to its predecessor, but with a faster processor, a better camera with smart LED flash and a fingerprint reader built into the home button, which would reduce the need for passwords everywhere. Keep in mind that Apple acquired AuthenTec, a maker of fingerprint sensor technology, last year.
    A cheaper iPhone for prepaid and emerging markets–a popular rumor these days–would be a lot like the iPhone 5, but with a plastic enclosure, available in six colors.
    The next iPad will be considerably slimmer and lighter. That’d make sense given that Apple had to add bulk to its third-generation iPad to accommodate a Retina display. Kuo expects the iPad Mini to get a Retina display as well this year.
    Non-Retina display MacBook Pros will meet their maker this year, as Apple moves to an all-Retina lineup at lower prices than before.
    The MacBook Air line won’t get Retina displays this year, Kuo believes. Their main improvement will be an upgrade to Intel‘s Haswell platform, which will allow for better battery life. Apple’s iMac and Mac Mini line may get a similar upgrade, sans Retina.
    The fourth-generation iPod Touch will be discontinued, but Apple may sell a cheaper fifth-generation model in its place, with 8 GB of storage and no rear camera, starting at $199.
    Kuo thinks the Apple TV set-top box will get a refresh, but didn’t offer any details. The fabled Apple television, however, appears to be drifting off to 2014 due to those pesky content issues.
    Kuo thinks most of this stuff will happen in the second half of the year, with the exception of a first quarter Apple TV refresh and new MacBook Airs in late Q2.

While there aren’t a lot of wild and crazy things on the list, Apple tends to avoid radical changes to its products, despite conventional wisdom. The fact that most of these predictions are quite reasonable–tame, even–makes me more likely to believe them. The most contentious claims are the less expensive iPhone (which smart Apple watchers no longer dismiss outright) and thumbprint tracking in the iPhone 5S (which at this point just seems like a matter of time). I wouldn’t count on Kuo’s forecast proving 100 percent accurate, but as a rough estimate of what to expect from Apple this year, it works.

Froyo wrote: »
    For some stupid reason, you seem to take the release of a new iPhone personally.
    Indeed. Think Cape Fear, but with Apple tattoos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the next iphone won't have a finger print scanner.

i'm an analyst now, gonna hand in my p45 tomorrow.

the next iphone won't have a finger print scanner.

i'm an analyst now, gonna hand in my p45 tomorrow.

Well, considering Apple spent 350m dollars acquiring AuthenTec, who specialize in fingerprint scanning software, it's not that far-fetched. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I'm due my upgrade in March, but I reckon I will hold off for news on the release of a new iPhone. The iPhone 5 I hear is quite brittle and over rated, so maybe the next generation will go back to a sturdier 4/4s type model, which I have (64gb model).

Contract lenghts are a bit silly lately too, with so many 24 months contracts getting sold. Mine is 18 months but previous ones for the previous 10 years were all 1 year contracts. It kind of puts you off upgrading, when you know something else could be released within a month, or two and then you're stuck with an older model! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

goz83 wrote: »
    I'm due my upgrade in March, but I reckon I will hold off for news on the release of a new iPhone. The iPhone 5 I hear is quite brittle and over rated, so maybe the next generation will go back to a sturdier 4/4s type model, which I have (64gb model).

Contract lenghts are a bit silly lately too, with so many 24 months contracts getting sold. Mine is 18 months but previous ones for the previous 10 years were all 1 year contracts. It kind of puts you off upgrading, when you know something else could be released within a month, or two and then you're stuck with an older model! :mad:

I wouldn't count on a 5s going back to the same design of the 4. Apple rarely revert back to a previous design, they (and many others) would view it as Apple admitting to a mistake in design.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Going back to the form factor of the 4 or 4S is a step backwards in development. It will not be done. The 5 is actually a better phone to hold and use than my 4 was and i slated the 4 as my opinion was the 3GS was the best iPhone form factor until the 5 came along.

• Advertisement

I loved my 4, but it seems like a bit of a brick in comparison to the 5. No way will they be reverting.
    Well, the reality is you know when the last model was released and that it's likely to be close to a year before the next one appears. Furthermore, you'll also know if the last release was an "S" release meaning the next phone will be a significant change.

So by simply paying a bit of attention you can roughly guess what Apple's next move is and judge accordingly whether you want to upgrade mid-stream.

Advertisement