Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone 6--Coming July 2013

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

goz83 wrote: »
    I'm due my upgrade in March, but I reckon I will hold off for news on the release of a new iPhone. The iPhone 5 I hear is quite brittle and over rated, so maybe the next generation will go back to a sturdier 4/4s type model, which I have (64gb model).

When the 4 came out people complained it was too brittle too.. It's a phone, how rough are you with them? If you use it normally you shouldn't be worrying about breaking them. If it's a case of dropping it, well any phone will be tested when that happens.

I like the 5 now that I've played around with it, I wasn't pushed at all at the start when they first came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/08/apple-hiring-software-engineer-for-authentec-fingerprint-sensor-team-in-florida/
    Apple yesterday posted a new job listing (via AppleInsider) looking for a software engineer to join its team of fingerprint sensor engineers from AuthenTec, which was acquired last year for $356 million.

Apple refers to the job location as its "Melbourne Design Center" located in Melbourne, Florida, which is where AuthenTec was based, and is the only Melbourne-based position currently listed on Apple's job site. The position requires the ability to write "low-level code to configure and control hardware" and experience with firmware-hardware interaction.

Responsibilities of the position include work on the "LabTool" software used to evaluate the team's chip work, as well as failure analysis software, control firmware for the team's chips, and support for the team's design verification group.
    LabTool – Develop, maintain, update and optimize the “LabTool” software that is used for lab evaluation and characterization of the Melbourne Design Center sensor ICs. This includes adding new features as specified by the analog and digital design engineers. Updating the tool to work with new sensors. Automating lab test and characterization. Provide support and debug capability to all groups within Apple that use the tool.
    AuthenTec late last year sold off its embedded security group following the acquisition by Apple, leaving a core of fingerprint sensing and identity management groups in place to drive Apple's work in those fields. AuthenTec is also said to be cutting off non-Apple customers of its fingerprint sensor technology, leaving Apple with exclusive use of the technology and its associated intellectual property.

Apple has been rumored to be including fingerprint sensing technology in the iPhone 5S later this year, but there has not yet been any concrete evidence of such an addition.

Fairly obvious given the acquisition of Authentec last year, but whether it'll be on the next iPhone/iPad remains to be seen. Depends on their release date I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

They'll definitely need to step up their game.
    They're allowing Samsung free rein to steal market share from them and no matter how little you'd use the features on an S3/S4 the average pleb in the street is impressed by features he'd never use.
    I was looking at the HTC One and it's a fantastic feeling phone. In fact it's similiar to the iphone 5 build quality if you stuck an Apple logo on it you'd be completely fooled into thinking it was an Apple product.
    Whatever about widgets and all that ****e...Apple need to start opening key features like drag and drop, file sharing via bluetooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Step up their game why exactly?

Apple is in the business of making money. Their financial reports show they don't have to do anything other than keep doing what they are doing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Now, Apple pessimism is even stronger. No matter what they release and no matter how well it sells, they won’t win over the press, the pundits, the stock market, or the rhetoric. Not this year. They could release a revolutionary 60-inch 4K TV for $99 with built-in nanobots to assemble and dispense free smartwatches, and people would complain that it should cost $49 and the nanobots aren’t open enough.

http://www.marco.org/2013/04/09/iphone-6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Step up their game why exactly?

Apple is in the business of making money. Their financial reports show they don't have to do anything other than keep doing what they are doing.
    Every company should be constantly trying to step up their game ALWAYS especially the fast moving tech sector.

Also financial reports are an indicator of the past and while a guide, they shouldn't be relied upon for future success. Just ask RIM or Nokia.

Advertisement