Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get ringworm out of house?

• 11-12-2012 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

My cat has ringworm and I've got some medicine from the vet for him so hopefully he'll be on the mend soon. I haven't caught it so far - keeping fingers crossed!

The vets advised me to completely disinfect the house though as the spores will be everywhere.

Has anyone any advice on the easiest way to do this? OK it'll be easy to wash floors and hard surfaces with bleach solution, but how can I disinfect sofas etc? Is there any spray I could use on them? (Cat sleeps everywhere!)

I am renting so don't want to risk using bleach on soft furnishings and carpets in case it marks them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

We have just been through the same with one of our kittens. We had to keep it in 1 room for the 5 weeks of the treatment. Even still I ended up getting infected myself. Ideally you need to hoover & disinfect the flour every day and wipe down any surfaces.
    And obviously you need to thoroughly hoover and disinfect the rest of the apartment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Set the iron on hot as any fabric will take and steam iron everything, that should kill the spores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Happened us last year with our cat.

Vacuum the bejaysus out of everything. and You'll be ok.

If you do get it yourself (I did) try any of these, Tea tree oil (toxic to cats though) Bleach (straight onto the skin) or Canestan cream. I tried them all, as i was curious which one would work. The Bleach was the quickest (but probably the most dangerous) The Tea tree did work, eventually. The canestan was probably the safest and it worked too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

Ringworm is ridiculously hard to remove from the house - it gets between cracks in the floorboards, in every little nook and cranny! You need to get bleach in to all those places or vet safe disinfect such as trigene, (watered down to correct solution) and use that. I have found that trigene is fine on fabric, have had ringworm in my house and trigened everything to within an inch of its life!

Advertisement