Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will This Be The Wettest Week of the Year (13th Onwards)

Options
  • 11-12-2012 11:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

From around Thursday Onwards the outlook is either wet or very wet. Stalling fronts rotating around and hitting us again and again as they rotate and with a battleground somewhere around the North sea. It will be cold and continuous. No milds in this setup with the moisture originating pretty far north/

Could we now be facing the worst 7 day period in 2012 for rain ???
    gfs-0-102.png?6?6

UKMO FAX

Today and Friday

fax0s.gif

Friday
    fax72s.gif?10-0

And below from an earlier Run (not the run in the 2 charts above) but showing one big front all the way from Baffin Island to Belmullet feeding in even more cold rain into next week.

Saturday.

fax120s.gif?10-12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

oh no:( thats all we need cold and wet....really hope this doesnt materialize cause the ground is full to the hilt with water...

is there any chance these atlantic systems can just break through the cold blocking easterly over europe and the systems wont keep rotating around our little sponge of a country:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It looks like the block will hold around the North Sea and may push back west from there nearer christmas.

But yes, the ground is already sodden as you said. Hopefully the dams are open today and they are already dumping what could prove to be excess water. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Can't see any major falls apart from Friday at the moment most fronts seem quite weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

If only we had a nice dry cold easterly instead SpongeBob :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It's looking very wet all right ......... and the wettest Dec on record was 1978 with 230mm or more than nine inches at the Phoenix Park. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

What was the wettest week so far of this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Pangea wrote: »
    What was the wettest week so far of this year?

Only going by IMT daily data, the wettest week so far this year was between the 2nd - 8th June with a 7 day average total of 11.04 mm.

232299.PNG

In contrast, the driest week so far this year occurred between the 24th - 30st March with a 7 day mean total of 0.0mm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Typical Irish weather we have 365 days a year, nothing to get excited about apart from sponge bob:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

If I was a sponge I would be worried too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Back on that week around June 2nd to 8th there was a two day period on the Thursday and Friday that Sligo got 87mm of rain, by far its wettest two days of 2012.

Summer 2012 was quite nice in the Northwest as we missed most of the rest of the downpours but there was a period of 5 Thursdays in a row around May and early June where it lashed. It was like here comes Thursday. Here comes deluge.

I think there was over 15mm of rain in Sligo on 5 Thursdays in a row but after that we had a lot of sun and some heavy showers but nothing too serious.

2012 will not go down as an extremely wet year in these parts at least. Further South and East suffered more.

However there is every indication that December is going to end on a very wet note in the Northwest with 1.5 to 2 times the Normal rainfall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

If I was a sponge I would be worried too.

I'm sure there would be a que to ring him out!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

pauldry wrote: »
    Back on that week around June 2nd to 8th there was a two day period on the Thursday and Friday that Sligo got 87mm of rain, by far its wettest two days of 2012.

Summer 2012 was quite nice in the Northwest as we missed most of the rest of the downpours but there was a period of 5 Thursdays in a row around May and early June where it lashed. It was like here comes Thursday. Here comes deluge.

I think there was over 15mm of rain in Sligo on 5 Thursdays in a row but after that we had a lot of sun and some heavy showers but nothing too serious.

2012 will not go down as an extremely wet year in these parts at least. Further South and East suffered more.

However there is every indication that December is going to end on a very wet note in the Northwest with 1.5 to 2 times the Normal rainfall
    I remember that alright EVERY Thursday for a month it peed rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

http://www.dublincity.ie/Pages/Welcome/MainPage.htm#Tab0

High Tide on Friday 14th December 2012

A high tide on Friday (14/12/2012) morning at 11 45 am, combined with low atmospheric pressure and a relatively high wind will give rise to high sea levels and possibly large waves. Wave overtopping in parts of Sandymount and Clontarf will probably take place. Dublin City Council's flood defences will be put in place including the flood gates on the River Dodder. Dublin City Council is monitoring the situation closely and will issue another update on Thursday morning.

Dublin City Council maintains a stock of sandbags at various locations for strategic purposes and will be deployed by Drainage staff, if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

The rains are on their way for the south... heard AAroadwatch warning about possible floods in Cork, warning businesses to prepare, also mentioned some areas of Dublin (out Sandymount direction I think)

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp Link to the Met Eireann warning

and if you want to see it coming in on radar.. http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Mind yourselves out there tonight...horrible night on the road with that kind of rain...

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Yeah the rain has started in Cork City and the wind has come up as well. The high tide earlier was almost to the top of the quays, so if the rain is heavy over night and combined with the wind driving water up the river there will be some overspill for sure.

Looking at met.ie the 3 hour chart is showing 12mm over Cork City. Hopefully they have left water off from the dam during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CrimsonSunrise

I must say, I'm kind of happy to have proper heavy rain again. The last few weeks have been colder than average yeah, but nothing spectacular..which was nice and seasonal and all that...but.. The past few days this week have been constantly 6c or more day and night while most of the rest of the country and UK was enjoying minus temperatures. While I'm a big cold and snow lover I realise that it's extremely unlikely to happen here, so at least there's some sort of active weather system happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

It has got very windy with constant rain/drizzle here in S. Kerry for the last number of hours. Some strong gusts at time's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bring on the mildy goodness :D

2.1mm of rain overnight up here not that windy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

bring on the mildy goodness :D
    For those who hate cold and love mild weather then today is "good weather" which is fair enough if you like having your lights on in the daytime and of course the risk of flooding especially in Cork city centre where traders are in extreme danger of having their businesses destroyed just before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The past few days this week have been constantly 6c or more day and night while most of the rest of the country and UK was enjoying minus temperatures.

I haven't seen 6c in ages, its still feeling very cold here 4c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

112539-image1355484240-2-630x472.jpg

The picture was taken of the cycle lane on the cost of Clontarf earlier by a TheJournal.ie reader.

***Update***

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

Horrendous wind and rain here. The rain is icy cold too.
    Some flooding in coastal areas. The south promenade in Newcastle has been flooded. Donaghadee has also flooded. Great photo here. https://twitter.com/belfastjj/status/279559724452675584/photo/1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement