Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Broadband for Online Gaming?

• 11-12-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi Im looking to get broadband in my house and Im wondering what is the best broadband out there for online gaming? I cant get UPC in my area so Im looking at the eircom 8mb broadband. Anyone have any experience of this with gaming? Especially Fifa13?Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi Im looking to get broadband in my house and Im wondering what is the best broadband out there for online gaming? I cant get UPC in my area so Im looking at the eircom 8mb broadband. Anyone have any experience of this with gaming? Especially Fifa13?Thanks

Hi

It will depend on where you live, as there are alternatives to Eircom. Imagine and Digiweb offer fixed wireless services (Wimax & Metro) for less than Eircom's new packages and their speeds are much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dangerousdavem

Im living in Dun Laoghaire, I got imagine wimax yesterday and it didnt even work. I couldnt get a signal. I want to get broadband provided by a phone line because where Im living i find it hard to pick up a signal even on my mobile. Ill check out digiweb thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Eircom broadband is expensive, but if you get anywhere close to the speeds you're paying for 6 to 8 mb, that will be more than enough to play Fifa 13 online and have no lag.

You shouldn't lag really if your internet is above 3mb with any online game, however if your a competitive player and play with people on a English host ( private match.

Eircom broadband will let you down ( the speeds are way too low and you'll lag and not have an enjoyable experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dangerousdavem

Thanks for the reply. I have ordered digiweb 8mb so fingers crossed it does the trick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Bad advice given on this thread. Gaming is relevant to latency, i.e. your ping times to servers. Download speeds don't come into it. Digiweb DSL has increased interleaving on their DSL connections ( highish latency ) however if you're just playing Fifa or whatever It will be fine.

Playing FPS shooters is a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

Best thing to do is wait until your broadband is up and running. Then check the ping times. If they're unacceptably high ring Digiweb and ask them to lower the amount of interleaving on your line.

I asked Vodafone to do this and their tech guys were happy to oblige. Reduced my ping to boards from 70ms+ to 15-17ms.

Advertisement