Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

post-graduate diploma and a master’s degree

• 11-12-2012 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭

Ok, a really quick question here. On the national framework a post-graduate diploma and a master’s degree ware both at level 9. - I have an option of doing either one at the moment. But the post graduate diploma requires a lot less work and according to my Uni contact it seems to be valued at a lower level.
    Is this correct?
    And if so, why are they both at level 9??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I can't comment on why they're at the same level on the qualifications table, but a postgrad diploma is 'worth less' than a full Master's degree, because you won't do the Master's dissertation on a postgraduate diploma. And the dissertation component is a key part of a Master's, as it's your chance to undertake a large research project, whereas the diploma won't give you that. From my experience, a postgrad diploma is usually offered to someone who is considered too weak to complete the dissertation portion of the course successfully, but who has completed all the other components such as coursework essays and so on, or to someone who for some other reason cannot complete the dissertation element; the diploma is awarded to ensure they receive some recognition for having completed the other parts of the course.

Advertisement