Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paraguay's Landfill Harmonic orchestra.

Options
  • 11-12-2012 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Amazing what people can do with what little resources.

This video introduces the town of Cateura, a slum in Paraguay built atop a landfill where residents have created music from all the rubbish heaped upon them. Scouring the trash, the determined music-lovers have built violins, cellos, and other classical instruments, resulting in the "Recycled Orchestra".'

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

What a cool video, thanks for sharing! :D I liked the shots of them playing together, it had quite an interesting sound! Just goes to show that a musician's mastery is more important in tone quality than the materials the instrument is made from. I think the strings suffered slightly for being made of metal though.

Was it just me though, or did the trumpets, flutes and bows not appear to be recycled? And where did they get the strings from? Did they make those themselves or did the music teacher supply them?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

What a cool video, thanks for sharing! :D I liked the shots of them playing together, it had quite an interesting sound! Just goes to show that a musician's mastery is more important in tone quality than the materials the instrument is made from. I think the strings suffered slightly for being made of metal though.

Was it just me though, or did the trumpets, flutes and bows not appear to be recycled? And where did they get the strings from? Did they make those themselves or did the music teacher supply them?

Ye it looked like a lot of the instruments were professionally manufactured. It all seems a bit 'gimmicky', still, easier to raise awareness with those instruments than with proper ones I suppose.

Advertisement