Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pekingese breeders in Ireland?

• 11-12-2012 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm just wonderign is there any Pekingese breeders in Ireland?

My girlfriend has two and one is a Minature with papers and a strong family tree, she has been looking at breeding him but we have no idea how to go about it and the only Pekingese Breeder we know of has since stopped breeding.

If anyone can shed any light it would be great!

Thanks,

Andy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Theres no such thing as a Miniature Peke. Its just a Pekingnese.

Can i ask why you want to breed him?

If you want to contact the club, they might be able to point you in the direction of some breeders.

Pekingese Assoc of Ireland

Mrs P Keegan
    15 Sutton Grove, Sutton, Co Dublin
    Phone: 01-8392395

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Thanks! What would you call him then? He's a really small Pekingese, like half the size of his brother and any other pekingese. We were looking at breeding him to get a pup from him for ourselves, sorry I should have stated that in my op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

God OP if he's that small I'd worry about breeding from him. If there is a problem with him that made him that small I'm sure you wouldn't want to pass that on to pups.

Also you'd have to be very careful as to what type of breeder would actually breed from a dog who is not even breed standard.

Good luck talk to the breed club, I'm sure they will point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Andy Magic wrote: »
    Thanks! What would you call him then? He's a really small Pekingese, like half the size of his brother and any other pekingese. We were looking at breeding him to get a pup from him for ourselves, sorry I should have stated that in my op.

If he's a really small pekingese then that's what he is - a really small pekingese! No need to go throwing other labels on him just because he's small, you'll make him self conscious :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Whispered wrote: »
    God OP if he's that small I'd worry about breeding from him. If there is a problem with him that made him that small I'm sure you wouldn't want to pass that on to pups.

Also you'd have to be very careful as to what type of breeder would actually breed from a dog who is not even breed standard.

Good luck talk to the breed club, I'm sure they will point you in the right direction.

Good advice, as thats the last thing we want, would a vet recommend whether it's safe/ok to breed from him?
    If he's a really small pekingese then that's what he is - a really small pekingese! No need to go throwing other labels on him just because he's small, you'll make him self conscious :P

haha thanks, as I'm sure you can tell I'm not very dog oriented, I Just thought I would ask for information on her behalf. Thanks for your input though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If hes really small, then hes prob just the runt of the litter and is def not a good specimen to breed from. You only ever breed from the best specimens and breed standards and as he isnt one of them, please dont use him for breeding.

Contact the club and ask them to recommend a breeder for you.

I also highly recommend you neuter your dog as he doesnt need to be kept entire if hes not going to be used for breeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Please dont. Our shelters are over run with dog's that need homes. We don't need more pups. The only responsible breeding is no breeding.

Especially with a breed that suffers from as many congenital defects as the pekingese

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement