Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to test android app not connected to PC?

Options
  • 11-12-2012 1:20pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I have to disconnect my tablet from my PC and connect it to a serial device to test it. However now I have no idea how to test what is happening, what do people generally do?

I have tried using toasts, and some of them come up saying I am inside a method and so on, but a few of them seem not to be, I don't know if this is indeed indicating errors and is a valid way to test? An alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

So I have to disconnect my tablet from my PC and connect it to a serial device to test it. However now I have no idea how to test what is happening, what do people generally do?

I have tried using toasts, and some of them come up saying I am inside a method and so on, but a few of them seem not to be, I don't know if this is indeed indicating errors and is a valid way to test? An alternative?

Just use CatLog

CatLog | Google Play link

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks will give that a go, hopefully without needing root!

Thanks will give that a go, hopefully without needing root!

No doesn't need root, it just logs the log cat traces from the OS when your not connected on USB. Handy tool.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah I see, very cool. Have it running, million things happening :D

Ah I see, very cool. Have it running, million things happening :D

Use your own logging in your code and make sure to filter on that.

• Advertisement

Sounds perfect, cheers.

If I do Log.d(TAG, "message"); can i filter by tag? Or is there a way just completely filter one app, like an id etc? Gonna mess around with it now.

Edit: I see both ways work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

There is a way to run adb over wifi: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1685736

This will let you debug as normal with breakpoints etc.

Advertisement