Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Cup!

• 11-12-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭

As I only joined FF in week 3 of this year I don't have any real interest in the major leagues where I don't have a snowballs chance in hell of finishing in a respectable position, it's only since about week 8 that I've taken it seriously and I've been getting green arrows all the way since then. I've joined a few public leagues since where everyone started out at zero and I'm close to the top in them. I love the head to head league so I'm really looking forward to the cup competition, for example I certainly don't want to take any points hits for as long as I'm involved, I hope to get a few weeks out of it anyhow.

Has anyone here ever gone far in it, any stories to tell about past experiences, bad luck stories whatever?
    It's starting next week I think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I made it really far last year, think I was the last remaining boardsie! I went out in the last 64 or 128 iirc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have zero time for any cup competition. If I were a more conservative player that never took points hits, I'd enter all of them. However, because I take point hits on a semi-regular basis every year, I don't want to be worrying about a cup opponent when making hits to win my leagues. 4 points here and there over the course of a season is nothing, but being 4-8 points down on a cup opponent is tough to come back from.

Also, I don't want to go so far in a cup where I am in the position that I am tempted to make certain short-term transfers to beat a single opponent instead of making transfers that are a long term benefit.

Many of the lads in my main money league get completely distracted by it which is perfectly fine with me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

it's a bit of fun, but like futureguy said it's not worth sacrificing your league position for, unless like in your case swiper you joined the game late and there's not much to play for... for the record i think i lost in round 1 last year to some manager who hadn't touched his team since gw1 :pac: i had Drenthe in my team at the time :(

KevIRL got into the top 4 in the FFS one last year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

manual_man wrote: »
    it's a bit of fun, but like futureguy said it's not worth sacrificing your league position for, unless like in your case swiper you joined the game late and there's not much to play for... for the record i think i lost in round 1 last year to some manager who hadn't touched his team since gw1 :pac: i had Drenthe in my team at the time :(
    Ha ha drenthe my biggest mistake of last year I put him in for bale around xmas time as bale was supposedly injured and drenthe had a dgw early jan. That move must have cost me about 40 pts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

FutureGuy wrote: »

I remember that. When does it start again? January is it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Does Boards do one and if so will it be open to players not currently in the league? I'd imagine there could be good banter surrounding it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 aaronboyse1990

In my first year i made it to the last 128.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

My mate last year got knocked out by a in active dude who had Bale captained :D

In my first year i made it to the last 128.

Fair play to you, it must have been nerve racking enough to get so close, 6 games away from the final?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

FutureGuy wrote: »

Ya, I did, was only prizes for the finalists mind.

They do something like 5 or 6 each season though. I like the cups, a nice diversion but would never let a cup fixture influence my team selection

Does Boards do one and if so will it be open to players not currently in the league? I'd imagine there could be good banter surrounding it.

I ran one last year, would have no problem running another. Best to wait till after xmas though as the close gameweeks around Christmas time would make running it then a pain

Thought next week was the qualifying round of the cup, but its actually this week. Anyone finish this week outside the top 2.1million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

One of my fluke awful weeks last year was the week the cup started, went out to some abandoned team. Hate the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

99.999% sure of getting knocked out in the first round. Taking an 8 point hit. :D

As thread starter here it would have been terribly disappointing not to qualify. I finished with 30 points, at the moment I'm just inside the qualifyiers 2,000,040, is the gameweek finished and am I in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Our opponents are up. Mine is 2,150,000 in the world and hasnt made 1 transfer all year so confidentish but he has Yaya (C), Aguero and Clichy so could easily get a good round score.

Did you make the cut Swiper?

Team I'm up against in the cup....

Reina(vc)
    Vermalen, A Ferdinand, Risse, BAE (Kompany)
    Lucas, Sess, Felliani, Duff (A Johnson)
    Borini (c), Podolski (Jelavic)

Bet I'll still contrive to lose to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭tom_k

Got this opponent in the cup...
    Hart
    Skrtel Mertesacker Nelsen
    Pienaar Bale Snodgrass Nolan
    Holt Suarez Van Persie

Subs: Taylor(GK), De Ridder Rangel Situ

Active player on 751 points, 1,281,580 in the world. I'm fairly well ahead of that at the moment but this is the kind of team that could notch up a good score without having some of the "obvious" choices in it:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The team I'm playing "Killersss" has 6 injured players + 2 non starters.. If I don't get through I think I'll cry :)

• Advertisement

irish son wrote: »
    Our opponents are up. Mine is 2,150,000 in the world and hasnt made 1 transfer all year so confidentish but he has Yaya (C), Aguero and Clichy so could easily get a good round score.

Did you make the cut Swiper?

Thanks for asking, I made it alright, the guy I'm up against isn't too bothered I'd say but he had 84 points last week to my 30, he had Santi as captain, front 3 of Tevez, Giroud and Ba, I should destroy him:pac:, round 2 here I come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

q2ice wrote: »
    99.999% sure of getting knocked out in the first round. Taking an 8 point hit. :D

snap!
    Just realised I'm up against a zombie team ranked higher than me with 3 Man City players [incl Tevez (c)], 3 Chelsea players and Santi Cazorla.
    No Utd or Swansea gives me a chance..as long as that games a goal fest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

KevIRL wrote: »

Reina(vc)

Borini (c), Reina (vc) and Lucas in a side means that someone doesnt understand FF.

My glorious opponent...

De Gea
    Baines Vermaelaen (C) Sagna
    Felliani Valencia SWP Scholes
    Podolski Jelavic Agbonalhor
    Subs: Cech Carragher (VC) Barry Kompany

Lulz...will still probably go out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭richieffff

My cheapest possible team qualified for the cup so I played my wildcard just to mess with my opponent.
    The team he sees is this:
    byNDt.png

But the team he's going to be playing:
    QjH3Z.png

^^^

lol v good. And is your cup opponent actually playing the game? Is he likely to have a look at your team? brilliant if so

^^^

lol v good. And is your cup opponent actually playing the game? Is he likely to have a look at your team? brilliant if so

Yeah he's still active with a decent team, got 88 points last week too :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Haha, class.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

I'm up against the 5,635 ranked player in Saudi Arabia (2.35m overall). Bizarrly he made 6 transfers last week, but still has his wildcard!?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm well ahead of my opponent, who hasn't made a transfer all season, but He has Lescott, Silva and Aguero (c) so could easily beat me :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

My opponent is ahead of me in top 25k while I'm in top 50k. Doubt your opponent is determined by your overall position then. Looking at his team I think I'll beat him anyway unless Hazard and/or Suarez score very well this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

My opponent is a zombie with RVP as captain. If I captain him too, I'm almost guaranteed a win, but basing my choice on the cup doesn't seem sensible (Tevez capn btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm playing an inactive player who has Ameobi as captain. He's been getting two points from him nearly every week and of course the week he plays me the guy goes and scores.

I'm playing an inactive player who has Ameobi as captain. He's been getting two points from him nearly every week and of course the week he plays me the guy goes and scores.

He got a soft yellow too so at least its some consolation to you.

Reina(vc)

Haha, As things stand, once his captaincy switches to Reina and subs come on, I am 10 points behind with my RVP (c), Michu and Ben Davies to play. Could well go out yet :pac:

edit - make that 12. Reina has picked up a save point

• Advertisement

Suarez goal puts a better look to my cup tie

My Team:

?di=14135620792011

My Zombie opponents team:
    ?di=16135620802014

Definitely out of the cup. If i have the foresight to play Cuellar and not taking the 8 point hit then maybe a chance but as it stands "I'm outta here"

I'm sure ye've all been on tendrhooks and will be happy to now know that Swiper will be marching on in the cup, I'm 14 points up and my opponent only has Michu to play who I also have but I have Van Persie and Mata also, I'm sure it's mathematically possible to lose but very unlikely:p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

The guy I'm playing is 9 behind, we both have Michu tomorrow and then I have RVP, he has Rooney. Squeaky bum time!!!

I see that he also took a hit this week, so -4 to be taken off his tally. At least I think so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I'm on 33, he's on 18

He has Mata, Michu, Van Persie yet to play, his captain has played (tevez)

Me then, I have RVP as captain , Ashley cole and Michu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

im on 22
    hes on 37

Hes got hazard(c)
    I've got ivanovic,VP and Michu.

Need VP and michu to go absolutely mental tomorrow and bail me out ;)

and a chelski clean sheet ;)

and hazard not to do anything :)

I'm on 37 points with Mata, Michu and RVP to play.
    My opponent is on 37 with Ivanovic, Michu and RVP.
    Gonna be a close one from the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

I'm 1 point ahead of mine we both have michu he has lowton I've RVP. He's about 300 points behind me overall. Funny old game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

My tie is all square at 29 points each. We both have 2 playing today: we both have Michu, and he has captained Rooney, I've captained RVP! So it's a straight shoot out! I could easily be out this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Squeaky bum time I have 41 pts he has 29 with all my lads having played.
    He needs Hazard and A. Cole to get 12 pts to win.
    Come on Villa !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,210 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I need Hazard to have a quiet game aswell. My opponent is 10 points behind me with the Belgian captained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Down by a point but she has only Hazard left and I have Cech and Mata.

Going to be close!

Safely through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'm on 44, opponent's on 24

I have just Mata to play, he has Luiz, Hazard and Bennett.. I'm a bit worried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

My tie is all square at 29 points each. We both have 2 playing today: we both have Michu, and he has captained Rooney, I've captained RVP! So it's a straight shoot out! I could easily be out this week!

Well that should be me through (unless something really werid happen with bonuses).

• Advertisement
Advertisement