Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 almost 19 month old not walking

Options
  • 11-12-2012 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just quick question if anyone has experienced this before because I'm started to get very frustrated.

My 18 month old is still not walking. Cruising, taking one or two steps unaided VERY CAUTIOUSLY, will walk a little with one hand held but she is still not walking independently.

I'm starting to think I'm doing something wrong :(

She is so wild in other ways, climbing on couch and flinging herself off but so incredibly cautious when it comes to walking. I read that anything between 8 and 20 months is regular but I'm just starting to really fret about it now. PLUS she is getting bored because she wants to be outside but I can't let her crawl around on cold wet grass/ground :(

Has anyone any thoughts or experience of this?

Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I wouldn't worry at all, she's trying to walk so it's not like she can't, she's just being cautious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

One of my friends didn't walk until 18 months and that was because he'd found a very fast way to crawl and didn't feel the need to walk yet. One day he just stood up and started walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CrowWoman

lounakin wrote: »
    One of my friends didn't walk until 18 months and that was because he'd found a very fast way to crawl and didn't feel the need to walk yet. One day he just stood up and started walking.

A friend's son was just the same -- he was a wee flyer when he was crawling and showed no interest at all in walking. She was at her wits' end. One day, at 19 months, out of nowhere he just stood up and walked across the room.

Sounds like she's just on the verge; bet she's walking in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I really wouldn't worry. She'll do it when she's ready and it sounds like she is nearly there.
    One of my brothers was nearly 2 and wasn't even pulling himself up, and then almost in one go he started standing and walking. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

I was 20 months before i started walking my mother said she was at her wits end trying to get me to walk.
    One day she said i just got up and walked out of the house she was so shocked it took a few seconds to
    realise i had gone out the door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Thanks everyone, just wanted to put my mind at ease, thanks again :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

pffff! I repeat - pfff! Nothing to worry about at all, OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My nephew was the same, crept like a rocket but not walking by 18 months, my sister asked the PHN, who said to come back if he wasnt walking by age 2! He walked a few weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Meanwhile, how about waterproof dungarees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

NextSteps wrote: »
    Meanwhile, how about waterproof dungarees?

I have them, thanks :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement