Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high end netbook or low end laptop for media centre?

Options
  • 11-12-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Decisions decisions, need to replace seriously knackered 5 year old multimedia centre laptop with something new, either low end laptop or high end netbook...any suggestions? Will only be used to watch via hdmi - streaming tv from websites, downloaded movies through vlc etc, listen to music and occasional surfing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

HDMI is becoming standard on even the most basic of laptops so you could start your budget anywhere from €400+ with the likes of a Toshiba laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

How about a Raspberry Pi running XMBC?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 saj1011

Thanks FSL, I was looking at the Pi, but am not sure if it would be powerful enough to run a media player (like vlc) and surf the net at the same time on two screens?

I would want to extend the desktop over from a small screen (main computer screen) to a big screen (42inch).

Could the Raspberry Pi handle this?

I would have to connect the Pi to the main screen via the hdmi, but then how would i get the main screen to extend to the big screen? (as unlike laptop, pi does not have integrated screen)

Advertisement