Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue adding extension to alarm system

Options
  • 11-12-2012 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi,

I had an extension built onto the back of my house a few years ago and had it wired with alarm cable at the time.

|.........................|..................|
    ___________|

The gap between the original house and extension is where there used to be a sliding door into the garden so I extended the alarm zone that the sliding doors were on to include the circuit of sensors in the extension (which consists of 5 combination shock and magnetic sensors).

The problem is that I get intermittent false alarms on the extension circuit when I set the alarm.

I have tried shortening the extension loop by 'shorting' out each of the sensors in turn to see if maybe I have a dodgy sensor somewhere but to no avail.

I have tried disconnecting the tamper circuit and using it's wiring for the alarm circuit just in case to no avail.

The only way I can stop the periodic false alarms is to completely short out the extension from the system (i.e. leave it un-alarmed).

It's been like this for a while now and I've been considering putting a PIR into the extension (it's one big room) to at least provide some security... Can I just add a PIR to the zone or are there other considerations? I guess the PIR would require a power source...

Anyone got any suggestions?

It's an Aritech alarm that was in the house when I bought it btw...

Cheers.

LTD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

What sensors are you using ? If they're HKC are the arrows on the sensor head pointing upwards ??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its possible you have a faulty sensor on that zone. The best way to find a faulty sensor or contact is to check the resistance on the whole zone. If you have the use of a multi meter follow the instructions in post 9 of this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056655452

I know you have said you have shorted out each sensor in turn , but this method will show you exactly what the panel is seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi,

I had an extension built onto the back of my house a few years ago and had it wired with alarm cable at the time.

|.........................|..................|
    ___________|

The gap between the original house and extension is where there used to be a sliding door into the garden so I extended the alarm zone that the sliding doors were on to include the circuit of sensors in the extension (which consists of 5 combination shock and magnetic sensors).

The problem is that I get intermittent false alarms on the extension circuit when I set the alarm.

I have tried shortening the extension loop by 'shorting' out each of the sensors in turn to see if maybe I have a dodgy sensor somewhere but to no avail.

I have tried disconnecting the tamper circuit and using it's wiring for the alarm circuit just in case to no avail.

The only way I can stop the periodic false alarms is to completely short out the extension from the system (i.e. leave it un-alarmed).

It's been like this for a while now and I've been considering putting a PIR into the extension (it's one big room) to at least provide some security... Can I just add a PIR to the zone or are there other considerations? I guess the PIR would require a power source...

Anyone got any suggestions?

It's an Aritech alarm that was in the house when I bought it btw...

Cheers.

LTD

Also check to see if anything else is on that zone, just in case there is a window or two from the original house.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

Thanks for the replies guys.

Thunderbird2: Yup they are all orientated correctly.

KoolKid: Thanks for the link, I think I might give it a go....

Altor: Yeah I labelled all the sensors in the house with their appropriate zone when I wired up the extension. There is only one window from the original house on the circuit with the extension and I even tried shorting it out too...

The issue is definitely something to do with the extension...

Advertisement