Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a new braodband and phone deal

Options
  • 11-12-2012 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

I'm currently paying imagine 60 quid a month for 3mb line, unlimited download and free local and national calls.

I think now this is really bad...

They have offered me wimax for half price for 12 months but I have to pay 150 installation fee upfront.

They will also reduce this my monthly bill to 42 a month from 60 if I sign another contract.

I'm annoyed at Imagine as they would have happily left me there for another 6 years (how long ive been on that package) without offereing me something and only when I say I'll leave will they do anything.

I am in midleton in cork but am sure I can get better service. I have looked at some comparision websites but they do not list the offers... for example Vodaphone said they will give me 50% off for 6 months on a similiar 18 month contract but this deal does not show up on the comparison sites like http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-tv-broadband-phone/your-results

So....

What is the cheapest unlimited phone and broadband provider with unlimited downloads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

have you tried UPC ? or Vodafone ?

or could you simply get a wifi dongle thingy and use that in the home....I have a "3" wifi thingy €30 a month 60GB allowance ...so basically unlimited - unless you are downloading shedloads (I dont download anything)

I have VF at home and reasonably pleased with it (€42 a month 8gb and unlimited landline-landline calls)

Ps. I'm in Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Andyb1981

Stay away from WiMAX, signed up last week, live in Dublin city centre and can't get a signal. The only fix they offered is to pay them 50euro extra to get an outdoor box, this is on top of the 100 euro install charge even though you install yourself!

Customer service is also appalling! I am going back to UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Eircom is like 45euro a month with unlimited internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Eircom is like 45euro a month with unlimited internet.

But actively block access to third party sites dont they?... not interested in what sites they are but that is a draconian measure and I wont pay for that service.

I'm not really looking for the TV aswell so I figure UTV is out, I'll looka at Vodafone in a minute.

I was considering Wimax or metro, but one thing I am unsure of is what happens to your phone line? If I join a wireless broadband do they disconnect my eircom line? Later if I return to a DSL do I have to pay a reconnection to eircom?

I know there are options, but is there any one provider out there that is WAY better than others?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

deegs wrote: »

But actively block access to third party sites dont they?... not interested in what sites they are but that is a draconian measure and I wont pay for that service.

I'm not really looking for the TV aswell so I figure UTV is out, I'll looka at Vodafone in a minute.

I was considering Wimax or metro, but one thing I am unsure of is what happens to your phone line? If I join a wireless broadband do they disconnect my eircom line? Later if I return to a DSL do I have to pay a reconnection to eircom?

I know there are options, but is there any one provider out there that is WAY better than others?

Simply put, UPC is light years ahead of the rest with the speeds they offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Heard SKY are entering the broadband market here now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

dave1982 wrote: »
    Heard SKY are entering the broadband market here now

Only in the UK at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Sky are entering the broadband market in Ireland in Feb 2013.
    Several people have already signed up (see boradband or Irelandoffline forum) so I'm even thinking of paying the extra for a few months instead of signing up to a new service now.

UPC does look great... but what happens to your phone line?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 westhfra

Several people have already signed up (see boradband or Irelandoffline forum) so I'm even thinking of paying the extra for a few months instead of signing up to a new service now.

Sky in Ireland? Never thought I'll see the day. There is a god afterall - I really hope and pray that this will happen so I can get rid of Wimax for good. Unfortunately No other isp that can provide more than 3meg here as they all rely on Eircom's infrastructure. Would love to have UPC but as with everything else - greed - not worth their while to roll out to less populated areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Your phone comes through the UPC cable to your house. You can port your number over to the UPC so its not really an issue. What happens to the physical phone line is up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

i think vodafone is the cheapest broadband through phoneline in midleton. its just pick the package that suits you. ask them for a bussiness plan its cheaper again

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

westhfra wrote: »

Sky in Ireland? Never thought I'll see the day. There is a god afterall - I really hope and pray that this will happen so I can get rid of Wimax for good. Unfortunately No other isp that can provide more than 3meg here as they all rely on Eircom's infrastructure. Would love to have UPC but as with everything else - greed - not worth their while to roll out to less populated areas.

Aren't sky also planning on using eircoms infrastructure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

i have vodafone broadband and phone, i can only get 3 mb/s cos of my inferior line in north cork, but its ok really,im currently on the 70 gb package, free off peak national and uk calls, only 42.99, another few quid to go to 300gb per month but id never use that much.
    hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Sky Broadband
    We have received a number of enquiries asking about how the entry of Sky into the broadband market in Ireland will be a “game changer” and other unrealistic expectations. For IrelandOffline the entry of Sky into the Irish market is fundamentally uninteresting as Sky will probably not add one iota of new infrastructure. They will simply be just another reseller of BT and eircom infrastructure like Vodafone and a myriad of others.
    The only innovation Sky may offer is better marketing and perhaps a better bundled offer (one of interest only to those who want Pay TV*). It will not deliver any new form of broadband, what you have now with eircom or BT is exactly what you will have after Sky launch their “broadband”. If you cannot get broadband now you will still be in the same situation after Sky’s launch.
    The only thing Sky may be able to add is some small amount of imaginary competition. Need we remind people that the current prices for line rental is set by Comreg (yet another abject failure by the regulator). Line rental is set at €25.74, this is the price you pay for the privilege of just having a line, services will cost extra on top of that, these service prices are set by eircom(1). As can be seen the most basic decent DSL provision costs E21.50(2)
    The only concrete information available is that Sky have struck a deal with BT for use of BT’s LLU infrastructure(3). Currently LLU line rental costs E12.41 as set by the regulator.
    We publish a list of LLU’d exchanges below, if you are not in one of these exchanges then absolutely nothing will change as Sky will most likely be using eircom bitstream services in the rest of the country. If you already have UPC or High performance Fixed Wireless Broadband the Sky offers will on average be much poorer performance and you are today not paying Line Rental (must be paid by Sky). If you use Mobile Internet there is also no Line Rental, though on average Sky’s service would be better performance, but that is available today, even if Sky didn’t exist.
    Below is a list of current LLU exchanges where Sky can offer differentiated services:
    Beggars Bush
    Blanchardstown
    Ballyboden
    Belcamp
    Ballincollig
    Bray
    Balbriggan
    Cabra
    Celbridge
    Crossagalla
    Caherdavin
    Churchfield
    Cork Central
    Nangor Road
    Coolock
    Clontarf
    Crown Alley
    Crumlin
    Carlow
    Castletown
    Castletroy
    Customs Hs Docks
    Citywest
    Drogheda
    Dolphins Barn
    Donabate
    Dundalk
    Dundrum
    Douglas
    Dunlaoghaire
    Dennehys Cross
    Enniscorthy
    Finglas
    Foxrock
    Galway
    Greystones
    Kilkenny
    Lucan Ballydowd
    Dooradoyle
    Letterkenny
    Roches Street
    Merrion
    Mullingar
    Malahide
    Mervue
    Naas
    Navan
    North Main
    Nutley
    Portlaoise
    Phibsboro
    Portmarnock
    Priory Park
    Quaker Road
    Rathmines
    Rochestown
    Rathedmond
    Rush
    Santry
    Sligo
    Ship Street
    Shankill
    Skerries
    Shantalla
    Sandyford
    Sandyford Aeh
    Swords
    Summerhill
    Sutton
    Tallaght
    Terenure
    Tralee
    Tycor
    Walkinstown
    Whitehall
    Wicklow
    Wellington Road
    Waterford Central
    * Research shows that 92% of TV watched by Irish Pay TV subscribers is actually Free To Air content. Sky’s problem is in the UPC areas where people now get Netflix even without a TV subscription.
    Sky’s Broadband offering will be poor as “Catch Up TV” for majority of DSL subscribers and totally unsuitable for Netflix or VOD services of UPC quality save for maybe the 10% to 15% of Sky Broadband subscribers, and these mostly in areas that can get UPC. Sky has much higher market penetration in rural and small town Ireland where broadband quality is worst and frequently unsuitable for standard definition let alone high definition viewing.
    Sky’s only real “edge” is Sky Sports, which UPC has to buy from Sky and secondly they have more channels (most of which have less than 0.1% viewing) or niche viewership, e.g. ethnic shopping channels.
    Sky has considered market entry in Ireland for over 7 years, but is only executing it because they are losing customers to UPC and to Free to Air satellite services. Many Irish consumers installed Sky in order to get a decent RTE and TV3 signal. This justification may be removed with the ‘digital switchover’ In reality this move only helps Sky a little and the consumer not one bit. In UPC areas the Consumer will still get a better deal using either UPC TV + Broadband, or UPC Broadband and Free to Air TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 westhfra

Sky Broadband
    We have received a number of enquiries asking about how the entry of Sky into the broadband market in Ireland will be a “game changer” and other unrealistic expectations. For IrelandOffline the entry of Sky into the Irish market is fundamentally uninteresting as Sky will probably not add one iota of new infrastructure. They will simply be just another reseller of BT and eircom infrastructure like Vodafone and a myriad of others.
    The only innovation Sky may offer is better marketing and perhaps a better bundled offer (one of interest only to those who want Pay TV*). It will not deliver any new form of broadband, what you have now with eircom or BT is exactly what you will have after Sky launch their “broadband”. If you cannot get broadband now you will still be in the same situation after Sky’s launch.
    The only thing Sky may be able to add is some small amount of imaginary competition. Need we remind people that the current prices for line rental is set by Comreg (yet another abject failure by the regulator). Line rental is set at €25.74, this is the price you pay for the privilege of just having a line, services will cost extra on top of that, these service prices are set by eircom(1). As can be seen the most basic decent DSL provision costs E21.50(2)
    The only concrete information available is that Sky have struck a deal with BT for use of BT’s LLU infrastructure(3). Currently LLU line rental costs E12.41 as set by the regulator.
    We publish a list of LLU’d exchanges below, if you are not in one of these exchanges then absolutely nothing will change as Sky will most likely be using eircom bitstream services in the rest of the country. If you already have UPC or High performance Fixed Wireless Broadband the Sky offers will on average be much poorer performance and you are today not paying Line Rental (must be paid by Sky). If you use Mobile Internet there is also no Line Rental, though on average Sky’s service would be better performance, but that is available today, even if Sky didn’t exist.
    Below is a list of current LLU exchanges where Sky can offer differentiated services:
    Beggars Bush
    Blanchardstown
    Ballyboden
    Belcamp
    Ballincollig
    Bray
    Balbriggan
    Cabra
    Celbridge
    Crossagalla
    Caherdavin
    Churchfield
    Cork Central
    Nangor Road
    Coolock
    Clontarf
    Crown Alley
    Crumlin
    Carlow
    Castletown
    Castletroy
    Customs Hs Docks
    Citywest
    Drogheda
    Dolphins Barn
    Donabate
    Dundalk
    Dundrum
    Douglas
    Dunlaoghaire
    Dennehys Cross
    Enniscorthy
    Finglas
    Foxrock
    Galway
    Greystones
    Kilkenny
    Lucan Ballydowd
    Dooradoyle
    Letterkenny
    Roches Street
    Merrion
    Mullingar
    Malahide
    Mervue
    Naas
    Navan
    North Main
    Nutley
    Portlaoise
    Phibsboro
    Portmarnock
    Priory Park
    Quaker Road
    Rathmines
    Rochestown
    Rathedmond
    Rush
    Santry
    Sligo
    Ship Street
    Shankill
    Skerries
    Shantalla
    Sandyford
    Sandyford Aeh
    Swords
    Summerhill
    Sutton
    Tallaght
    Terenure
    Tralee
    Tycor
    Walkinstown
    Whitehall
    Wicklow
    Wellington Road
    Waterford Central
    * Research shows that 92% of TV watched by Irish Pay TV subscribers is actually Free To Air content. Sky’s problem is in the UPC areas where people now get Netflix even without a TV subscription.
    Sky’s Broadband offering will be poor as “Catch Up TV” for majority of DSL subscribers and totally unsuitable for Netflix or VOD services of UPC quality save for maybe the 10% to 15% of Sky Broadband subscribers, and these mostly in areas that can get UPC. Sky has much higher market penetration in rural and small town Ireland where broadband quality is worst and frequently unsuitable for standard definition let alone high definition viewing.
    Sky’s only real “edge” is Sky Sports, which UPC has to buy from Sky and secondly they have more channels (most of which have less than 0.1% viewing) or niche viewership, e.g. ethnic shopping channels.
    Sky has considered market entry in Ireland for over 7 years, but is only executing it because they are losing customers to UPC and to Free to Air satellite services. Many Irish consumers installed Sky in order to get a decent RTE and TV3 signal. This justification may be removed with the ‘digital switchover’ In reality this move only helps Sky a little and the consumer not one bit. In UPC areas the Consumer will still get a better deal using either UPC TV + Broadband, or UPC Broadband and Free to Air TV.

Typical - another useless service that is only provided in selected areas. To tell you the truth I don't give a s###### how much it costs, just need a constant and reliable service, with a decent cap. I have netfix but my isp constantly put a cap on my service - only means one thing, I cannot even watch or access whatever i want to because some isp wants to play god. I. Hate this attitude that they think they can do as they please while getting paid for it. They know there is no competition and therefore can get away with it.
    This 3rd world service and ripp-offs should have been addressed years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,154 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If broadband was totally free, if telephone calls were completely free and if line rental was completely free the people running Ireland Offline would still be moaning and complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

I'm currently paying imagine 60 quid a month for 3mb line, unlimited download and free local and national calls.

I think now this is really bad...

They have offered me wimax for half price for 12 months but I have to pay 150 installation fee upfront.

They will also reduce this my monthly bill to 42 a month from 60 if I sign another contract.

I'm annoyed at Imagine as they would have happily left me there for another 6 years (how long ive been on that package) without offereing me something and only when I say I'll leave will they do anything.

I am in midleton in cork but am sure I can get better service. I have looked at some comparision websites but they do not list the offers... for example Vodaphone said they will give me 50% off for 6 months on a similiar 18 month contract but this deal does not show up on the comparison sites like http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-tv-broadband-phone/your-results

So....

What is the cheapest unlimited phone and broadband provider with unlimited downloads?

Try eastcork broadband in midleton they are supposed to be very good u can also get phone with them

http://www.eastcork.net/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

gustafo wrote: »

Try eastcork broadband in midleton they are supposed to be very good u can also get phone with them

http://www.eastcork.net/index.htm
    100 install and 40 for wireless router, ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Vodafone @ Home,still the same speed as Eircom but a hell of a lot cheaper,they have a broadband only option now for €29.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fintanmac

My experience with SKY Ireland would suggest that you don't touch them with a 40 foot barge pole. I was trying to cancel my subscription. Emailed them - the last time I called them their preium call cost me approx €5 - but they emailed back and said as I was in Ireland and not the UK I had to call the premium rate again. This is discrimination and what's worse they too another €40 out of my account.

Cancelling with them and won't ever deal with them again. So be aware getting in/on is easy cancelling is NOT and they will continue to take you hard earned money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

fintanmac wrote: »
    My experience with SKY Ireland would suggest that you don't touch them with a 40 foot barge pole. I was trying to cancel my subscription. Emailed them - the last time I called them their preium call cost me approx €5 - but they emailed back and said as I was in Ireland and not the UK I had to call the premium rate again. This is discrimination and what's worse they too another €40 out of my account.

Cancelling with them and won't ever deal with them again. So be aware getting in/on is easy cancelling is NOT and they will continue to take you hard earned money.

Funny you should say that, a colleague in work had a ongoing saga with them when he tried to cancel, that had the whole office falling around the place every time he talked or should I say argued with them. In the end he was on to so many different places that he started to understand how their system worked, - give ref no instead of their surname etc etc.
    to make a long story short he eventually got his money back (& like you they took another months payment out in the middle of the whole thing which drove him mad altogether)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fintanmac

My advice - stick to your guns if arguing with Sky. Also call from landline as the mobile price for their premium rate number will break you. Not that it is dear no just the length of time it takes to get through to them. Wasted 43 minutes this evening on trying to contact them.:mad:

Advertisement