Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on choosing small tree for shaded front garden

Options
  • 11-12-2012 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi all

Firstly - I know nothing about gardening but here goes my query

I'm looking to plant a tree in our front garden in Dublin.

It's a small north-easterly facing front garden, so I'm looking for a tree that will not get too big, no problems with roots and one that will stand shade.

I would ideally prefer a nice native species, although I'm open to anything. And some colour during the year would be great (nice coloured leaves in Autumn would do).

Any ideas let me know.

Thanks

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

mickydcork wrote: »
    Hi all

Firstly - I know nothing about gardening but here goes my query

I'm looking to plant a tree in our front garden in Dublin.

It's a small north-easterly facing front garden, so I'm looking for a tree that will not get too big, no problems with roots and one that will stand shade.

I would ideally prefer a nice native species, although I'm open to anything. And some colour during the year would be great (nice coloured leaves in Autumn would do).

Any ideas let me know.

Thanks

Mick
    Try sorbus(mountain ash/rowan). Some are native. Good berries and decent autumn colour. There are a few types S. Commixata' S.acuparia, S.huphenensis.S. Sheerwater seedling. Choose one you like.
    You will get these bare root and sizes from 2.5-4m tall now till march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

rje66 wrote: »
    Try sorbus(mountain ash/rowan). Some are native. Good berries and decent autumn colour. There are a few types S. Commixata' S.acuparia, S.huphenensis.S. Sheerwater seedling. Choose one you like.
    You will get these bare root and sizes from 2.5-4m tall now till march.

Great suggestions. They look lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Hawthorn or Red hawthorn "Paul Scarlett", and Yew or fastigate irish yew, spring to mind, depending on exactly what you mean by small.

Sorbus hibernica (irish whitebeam) is a nice plant too.
    http://www.wildflowers.ie/gardening/tree_and_shrub_species.htm

The RHS has a helpful list here:
    http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=117

The smaller a plant you can plant the better it will be in the long run (and cheaper), unless you want instant impact and higher maintainance work.

Nice list of mail order trees:
    http://www.futureforests.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

How about a holly? Ilex aquifolium, var Alaska great berries and can be pruned. Also not too many leaves to rake up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Multi stem birch perhaps???

Nice tree,lovely wite bark on the trunks and also lovely swaying branches and small leaves in the summer sunlight.

The white bark really stands out in the garden wintertime,against everything that has died off for the winter.

Have 1 in my north facing front garden in Dublin,and its gets a good bit of shade,but some sunlight too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Thanks guys

A few more excellent suggestions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

mickydcork wrote: »
    Thanks guys

A few more excellent suggestions

Tullys Nurseries in Ballyboughal,North County Dublin have a fantastic selection of small and large potted,bareroot and rootballed trees at the moment.:)

http://www.tullynurseries.ie/

I was only out there the other day having a look around.

Grab yourself a free cuppa tea and a biscuit in the office and go for a walk around and enjoy the place.:)

Advertisement