Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Boiler whistling

• 11-12-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Had a powerflush done yesterday on my heating system.

Got home last night and thought id run the system up high and check all the rads make sure all where heating to the max and my boiler made a loud whistle sound until i lowered down the temp, also a few drops of water under the boiler.

Plumber coming back out but anything to worry about?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

preddy wrote: »
    Had a powerflush done yesterday on my heating system.

Got home last night and thought id run the system up high and check all the rads make sure all where heating to the max and my boiler made a loud whistle sound until i lowered down the temp, also a few drops of water under the boiler.

Plumber coming back out but anything to worry about?

That sounds like the relief valve lifting in a pressurised system. That leads to the possibility that your system was (1) low on water pressure when cold and needed filling to around 1 Bar, (2) that the diaphragm in the expansion vessel has failed -- check the Schroeder valve on the top of the red cylinder to see is air comes out, or (3) you simply turned up the temperature too high. None of those are major issues.

If you had a flush in response to issues with sludge then you may still have issues with the boiler and any damage caused to it by sludge ie... Partially blocked heat exchanger which can generate a noise that's heat orientated, but you may find there's a simpler explanation tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Plumber delayed until tomorrow now,
    But system working ok apart from a loud noise like a large metal gate closing like a creaking if i higher the heating over 70degrees the whistling stopped along with any water dripping.

Advertisement