Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrot cake and Cream cheese frosting/other

Options
  • 11-12-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

HELP !
    I have searched this forum and others for a frosting that can be used with carrot cake. The last attempt was a disaster and the frosting appeared to weep/leak resulting in a soggy mess. I used a receipe by beating butter and creamcheese followed by beating in icing sugar. Initially it went on well, was firm enough to spread but when we cut the cake the following day it looked awful, the cake was soggy and the icing was non existent as it had "leaked".

I specifically need something that works well with carrot cake but it has to be able to take the weight of fondant. I make novelty cakes for my friends and family but am now reconsidering removing the carrot option even though I love it as I just cannot find the right frosting for it.

I have a lovely carrot cake receipe but it never rises very well so most times I end up baking 2 and stacking them in layers. I'm not sure a carrot cake is ever meant to be split and filled anyway as they are so moist?

Any help regarding a good carrot cake and/or frosting that will work with fondant icing would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Cream cheese frosting needs to be kept refrigerated, which doesn't really work inside a sugarpaste covered cake (by HSE guidelines it has to be refrigerated but if you're not a business this doesn't apply), so I would never use cream cheese inside an iced cake.

Cinnamon buttercream or orange flavoured buttercream work well with carrot cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sparticus78

[QUOTE=
    Cinnamon buttercream or orange flavoured buttercream work well with carrot cake.[/QUOTE]

Ooo that sounds nice. Thanks for the tip and no, I am DEF not in the business although my family & firends keep telling me I should! I like it as a hobby but the hours that go into those cakes is unreal and no-one sees that side of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Ooo that sounds nice. Thanks for the tip and no, I am DEF not in the business although my family & firends keep telling me I should! I like it as a hobby but the hours that go into those cakes is unreal and no-one sees that side of it

I would still be slow to use cream cheese/fresh cream etc with cakes for family and friends, as you've discovered it splits and should be refrigerated until eaten.

Well meaning friends and family will always tell people they should go into business, until you actually do and expect payment for what they were getting for free previously! :D

Advertisement