Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAS follow up interview

• 11-12-2012 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello,
    Today I attended a "group engagement session" organised by FAS as I have been receiving Jobseekers allowance and it turns out I have to attend a follow up interview next Monday and I have absolutely no idea what to expect, never mind mind what to say or do. I'm afraid of being forced into a course I have no interest in doing, especially since I am currently studying part time on an access course to uni. (Just left school in June)

Could anyone with experience in the matter of FAS interviews please tell me if you're forced to sign up for a course/internship there and then under the threat of losing your benefits? I know I will receive advice on my "options" as if I have no idea how to organise my own career path :mad: but how long before this turns into pressure? :confused: Thank you to anyone who has any advice to offer, its very much appreciated :) Sorry for rambling a bit :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

I had one last week . The interviewer could not have been more helpful. I took my CV as I'd read on here . I discussed everything I wanted to apply for and mentioned an IT course that I was interested in and she placed me on one immediately . I have an MSc and am well experienced . I choose to do an online computer course and I doubt I would have been forced to do it if I didn't want to . Go in and tell them your plan of starting Uni in September and you can't go wrong. They just want to verify that we are trying in some way to get ourselves employed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 takerv1

For a minute there I thought I wouldn't get any answers because you mentioned you actually had a course in mind but you made me feel better about the whole thing so thanks for taking the effort to reply :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

Basically if your doing a course or interested in doing a course or finding work then your grand, they are looking for long term unemployed who have shown no interest in anything.

That's a massive relief because I've been taking the necessary steps to find employment and I'm by no means on the live register because I don't want to work.

What you're makes things alot clearer but the people who work for the dept of social protection certainly weren't wishy washy about it today when they said that anyone who doesn't agree to join a course/training programme or internship will have their payment reduced or even suspended which no doubt left me feeling pressurised seeing as I'd basically have to go back down a number of levels to level 2 and participate on a course that is little use to me :S I suppose they were just trying to light a fire under the people in the room who had little to no qualifications...

or incentive to work.

• Advertisement

Did they say the same thing to you and the rest of the group at the engagement session?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

its the follow up 1 on 1 interview where they explain whats on offer to you and what they expect you to do. The welfare were right, if you refuse a course or work they will cut your payments. I had loads on at the time of the interview, i had just finished a course, was in the middle of an EMT course, was in the process of getting my C drivers licence and was seeking work in security. the lady told me there was no need for me to be here as i am not the type of person they are targeting. as i said, once your doing something, your grand

All I can really say is that I'm looking for work in retail and catering and I'm currently doing a course so hopefully that will suffice because I've found absolutely zilch on the FAS website that appeals to me!
    Thanks for your help mate. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

takerv1 wrote: »
    All I can really say is that I'm looking for work in retail and catering and I'm currently doing a course so hopefully that will suffice because I've found absolutely zilch on the FAS website that appeals to me!
    Thanks for your help mate. :)

Is Social Welfare aware that you are on a part-time course while claiming? If not, look into the Part-Time Education Option to cover it. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/part_time_education_option.html

Yes they are and they were fine with it because its only one evening a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

They also have FAS online courses on ecollege.ie if anyone's interested .

Advertisement