Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol leak

• 11-12-2012 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

It was -1.5 this morning so I decided not to risk the bike and took the morning off. Anyway I starting up the super-four when I noticed a leak, just at the tube that connects to the On/Off switch. Anyway I hope it is just a matter of pushing it back on.

However, I was wondering if I hadn't copped it would the engine have got hot enough to start a fire, as it was pissing out on it.

Good job I have the PX as a back up.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

That line split on my CB400, petrol was pissing all over the engine for at least a week, no fire though so it was all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

happened on my cbr20 wheni had it.
    those old rubber fuel lines perish over the eyars. i just went to motor factors, bought the same tubing and replaced it. half hour job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Odysseus wrote: »
    It was -1.5 this morning so I decided not to risk the bike and took the morning off. Anyway I starting up the super-four when I noticed a leak, just at the tube that connects to the On/Off switch. Anyway I hope it is just a matter of pushing it back on.

However, I was wondering if I hadn't copped it would the engine have got hot enough to start a fire, as it was pissing out on it.

Good job I have the PX as a back up.

Heat doesn't ignite petrol, though it does make it easier to ignite by releasing more fumes, only an external flame/spark can ignite the fumes. It doesn't mater if the engine is hot or cold, any stray spark will ignite it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Del2005 wrote: »
    Heat doesn't ignite petrol, though it does make it easier to ignite by releasing more fumes, only an external flame/spark can ignite the fumes. It doesn't mater if the engine is hot or cold, any stray spark will ignite it.

Heat will ignite petrol, but only at seriously high temperatures:
    Gasoline (Petrol): 246–280 °C (475–536 °F)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoignition_temperature

Maybe exhaust headers could get up to that temperature? Don't know what else would on a bike TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Use a lit match to find out where the leak is coming from.

• Advertisement

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Heat will ignite petrol, but only at seriously high temperatures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoignition_temperature

Maybe exhaust headers could get up to that temperature? Don't know what else would on a bike TBH.

Isn't that usually why they keep the fuel pipes away from the headers on bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Saw a Triumph go up in flames and burn down to a puddle of alloy when it backfired through the carb and ignited.
    Took a local guy with a powder extinguisher to put it out.
    Hard to fit an extinguisher on a bike though.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 YCHGTBOY

A mobile phone in your pocket could possibly ignite the fumes....or any bad electrical connection on the bike could arc and do the same. Any petrol leak... no matter how small.... should always be repaired immediately.

YCHGTBOY wrote: »
    A mobile phone in your pocket could possibly ignite the fumes....or any bad electrical connection on the bike could arc and do the same. Any petrol leak... no matter how small.... should always be repaired immediately.

Mobile phone is a myth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 YCHGTBOY

Mobile phone is a myth

Ok ...a a possible myth I agree on...but do you agree there is the possibility of some other electrical fault or static capable of igniting fumes?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Mobile phone is a myth

Not a myth but easier for static to build up and spark from the old phones with thin wirey aerials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scrap the cap!

YCHGTBOY wrote: »
    Ok ...a a possible myth I agree on...but do you agree there is the possibility of some other electrical fault or static capable of igniting fumes?:confused:

Yes, it is possible for static or an electrical fault to ignite fumes.

The only way a mobile can possibly ignite fumes is when they are under pressure when filling the tank and you'd have to have the phone right beside the nozzle, in normal circumstances a phone won't ignite petrol fumes.

Advertisement