Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James McCarthy "has the potential to play for any team in the world"

• 11-12-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

According to Martinez in the press yesterday. Obviously has one eye on the transfer kitty next summer, but still...

He has been getting a lot more attention in the media lately, I'm pleased to see. Gary Neville on MNF last week singled him out as Wigan's best player, said he was the best player on the pitch against City and one of the big clubs will be in for him before long. Scored two good goals at the weekend as well, the second was a very composed finish with four or five players surrounding him. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Ultimately though he doesn't shout loud enough.

Shame

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I think he's the most promising Irish player since Duffer and Keane broke through.

He has everything needed to be a top central midfielder and could easily play for a top 4 team in the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Just watched highlights from last weekends game against QPR and he played very well in fairness. Got 2 great goals and looked very composed on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I heard he did very well last year as well, love United to take a gamble on him.

bullvine wrote: »
    I heard he did very well last year as well, love United to take a gamble on him.

He's not there yet.

Moving to United would just stunt his development, where he is is perfect for him right now, playing every week and improving consistently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

With Romeu out for the season, Mikel suspended and going to the ACN and Essien and Josh Mceachran on loan he could be worth a punt for us, we're seriously thin on CM's at the moment although a few and Rafa included have touted Luiz for a CM spot.

Lamps isnt getting younger and its only a matter of time before hes gone so taking a chance on McCarthy could be an option, wouldnt be a bank buster either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Gibson had a cracker of a game by all accounts against Spurs also. Good to see.

I would like McCarthy to stay at Wigan for another few seasons, similar to Shane Long, I think a big move could end up stagnating their careers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

As a Gooner I'd gladly swap Ramsey for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Seaneh wrote: »
    He's not there yet.

Moving to United would just stunt his development, where he is is perfect for him right now, playing every week and improving consistently.

hence the use of the word gamble..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

McCarthy has looked a class player for ages now. I am amazed a bigger club hasn't come in for him because he's wasting his time at Wigan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

I'm baffled over all the hype for McCarthy, he has proven nothing yet other than raw potential. He is still extremely raw.

I would harbour a guess that most who rate him so highly, do so without having watch anything other than the highlights.

He may very well develop into a great player and he certainly has time on his side. As far as I can see, the main attribute he has is having played a hell of alot of games for someone so young, and theres a presumption that this means he will be one of the best midfielders in the game when he matures fully.

Without reading any hype articles or rave reviews, and just watching him week in week out playing 90 mins for the last 2 seasons I don't understand. He is a decent player yes, but hasn't stood out at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He has made the right moves every year since I have seen him. He was with Hamilton when they got promoted to Premier Division. Instead of moving to Liverpool or other clubs linked to him at time, he decided to stay at Hamilton and gain first team football while also moving up division.

Then he made the move to Wigan where he had good chance of playing first team football and now he has chance to play(maybe) for bigger side.

Its a lesson to some of younger lads who feel they need to go to bigger club asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Jayob10 wrote: »
    I'm baffled over all the hype for McCarthy, he has proven nothing yet other than raw potential. He is still extremely raw.

I would harbour a guess that most who rate him so highly, do so without having watch anything other than the highlights.

He may very well develop into a great player and he certainly has time on his side. As far as I can see, the main attribute he has is having played a hell of alot of games for someone so young, and theres a presumption that this means he will be one of the best midfielders in the game when he matures fully.

Without reading any hype articles or rave reviews, and just watching him week in week out playing 90 mins for the last 2 seasons I don't understand. He is a decent player yes, but hasn't stood out at all.

He's not a stand-out, Hollywood type player. He's a deep midfielder that stays behind the ball to always give an option. He's a little bit like Carrick. Good positional sense and keeps the ball moving when he gets it. Makes very few mistakes. Good sense of tempo also. When to speed it up and when to slow it down. Anyone watching him for a few full games would see this. It's not just potential. He's probably first player on the Wigan teamsheet and should be on the Irish one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jayob10 wrote: »

He's doing fine from what I can see, but I wouldn't go any further than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

yes I understand what kind of player he is. But my point is that he doesn't even stand out as a Michael Carrick type player.

I've seen countless games pass him by, sideways passes, taking the handy pass more often than not.

Its the popular thing to say now that "He's not a player who catches the eye", but he must have something that sets him apart if we are to believe the hype that he is capable of playing for the best teams in the world in fairness.

I just don't see anything yet. If he was to move to United or Chelsea I think he will be found out. A bit like Jordan Henderson at Liverpool, lots of gametime from a young age, received plaudits and hype for being a young lad operating in the premiership.

He has youth on his side, but I honestly don't see where there is potential for him to be great in any aspect of his game to warrant such hype and high hopes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think Villa under Lambert would be the ideal transfer for him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

CSF wrote: »

Don't think he wants to play in the Championship next season like :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Best thing about him at the weekend was his angry reaction to the second QPR goal and within two minutes he was the personification of calm and composed to control the ball then quickly, accurately get a shot away resulting in a goal.

If any of QPR's 5 defenders around him had that ability, to go from manic to composed in seconds he would never have got a chance to control the ball.

That type of mental strength and attitiude is what will help him make a big impact in his career whatever the next step is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

McCarthy has looked a class player for ages now. I am amazed a bigger club hasn't come in for him because he's wasting his time at Wigan.
    If by ages you mean the couple of months that this season has been on then I'll agree with you. He has certainly come on in leaps and bounds this season.

He was pretty average for most of last season though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

According to Martinez in the press yesterday. Obviously has one eye on the transfer kitty next summer, but still...

He has been getting a lot more attention in the media lately, I'm pleased to see. Gary Neville on MNF last week singled him out as Wigan's best player, said he was the best player on the pitch against City and one of the big clubs will be in for him before long. Scored two good goals at the weekend as well, the second was a very composed finish with four or five players surrounding him. :)

I was really impressed with him when we (City) played Wigan a couple of weeks back. He was absolutely outstanding that game and I wouldn't argue with Neville on that front, he was definitely one of teh best players on the pitch that day.

There's a lot to admire about him too when considering his transfer history. He stayed at Hamilton when he could have gone to Celtic and when he felt he was ready he moved to the Premier, I remember that Chelsea were after him at that time, as well as Liverpool and he turned all down to play at Wigan which was really smart. I wish him all the best and I do think he could be a great player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Personally think he's showed a marked improvement this season. The biggest flaw I saw in his game was not being as big an influence as a player of his ability should be, often went missing for large spells in games and didn't believe in himself as much as he should, a criticism you could level at lots of young players tbf to him.

Like last season he averaged 45 passes per game which is ok but this figure has risen to 57 per games so far this season, that's a pretty massive leap, 15th highest in the league, and the highest for a player in the bottom half of the league, he's been a big factor in Wigan's improved form thus far this season. Also very accurate with his passing around the 90%, all the more impressive as he mixes his range during a game and it's not all short back and sides.

If he keeps progressing and learning his trade preferably at Wigan under Martinez I could definitely see him reach a lower European teams standard at least if not a CL side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

eagle eye wrote: »
    If by ages you mean the couple of months that this season has been on then I'll agree with you. He has certainly come on in leaps and bounds this season.

He was pretty average for most of last season though.
    His first season at Wigan he didn't look comfortable as he was played all over the place. Since he settled down in the defensive midfield position, he has been class. He was very good last season (especially towards the latter half of the season where he looked quality against many top 6 clubs) and has gone on to be excellent this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Before the Wigan game, a united fan said they need a player like Roy Keane in the midfield, I said James McCarthy would be perfect, then boom 2 goals.

I'm psychic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Whether or no goes on to be a great player, top 6 pl player or whatever, what i admire about the lad is he is giving himself the best possible shot at fulfilling his potential.

180 senior club games at 22 is a lot of experience so hopefully his level will only continue to improve from where it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

CSF wrote: »

If Villa were to stay up and those young players start turning the team into a top half side he'd be perfect for them. Lots of potential yet and himself and Long for Ireland could work very well in the future.
    I'd say he's best at Wigan for a while yet, he seems to be good at choosing clubs so hopefully when the time comes he picks the right one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

When Wigan drew 1-1 with Chelsea this time last year was when I was fully convinced he had the ability to make it at the highest level, he completely dominated midfied that day and Wigan were unlucky not to win. This season he is giving performances like that on a consistant basis. I'd rate him as good, if not better than Javi Garcia, Jack Rodwell and Joe Allen so if Wigan sell him they should be looking at £20m+.
    My only concern for him is burnout considering the amount of football he has played since a young age but so far his injuries have not been muscle related.

Another Wigan player who has improved rapidly in the last year or so is Franco Di Santo, he still lacks goals but his all round play is top class and could comfortably slot in to a better team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Doing well, but limited enough.

He's not exactly an imposing defensive midfielder, or an attacking midfielder who's gonna bag loads of goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

djPSB wrote: »

He's not exactly an imposing defensive midfielder, or an attacking midfielder who's gonna bag loads of goals.

Never stopped Xavi

He is a good passer, good tackler, good positional sense, good decision making, has a decent shot on him and has shown he is able to compete physically from a young age. He probably lacks a little bit of pace and can look knackered in the latter stages of games but I wouldn't consider him limited enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

He's not there yet.

I wanted him to sign last summer he is 22 and now is the time for a move. He would only improve at United. He is younger and already better and more experienced than Cleverley imo, yet alot rave about Cleverley. United are hardly full of world class midfielders. Would love United to sign him think he could be a very good player for United. He won't break the bank and worth a punt.

He is a good passer, good tackler, good positional sense, good decision making, has a decent shot on him and has shown he is able to compete physically from a young age. He probably lacks a little bit of pace and can look knackered in the latter stages of games but I wouldn't consider him limited enough.

He'd at about the same level as Carrick or Henderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

But Carrick and Henderson are not at the same level?

Operating at a similar level as Carrick despite only turning 22 and I can't believe you are serious about Jordan Henderson being on the same level as Carrick.
    McCarthy is probably a level below a fully fit Lucas if you want to make a Liverpool analogy.

Liam O wrote: »
    But Carrick and Henderson are not at the same level?

Hendersons a sub for Liverpool.

Carrick has done well for himself, punched above his weight.

McCarthys not a bad player. In fact, City would have been much better off signing him rather than Rodwell.

Hendersons a sub for Liverpool.

Carrick has done well for himself, punched above his weight.

McCarthys not a bad player. In fact, City would have been much better off signing him rather than Rodwell.

Your comparing a sub for a mid table team to a first team starter for the last few years of a team who have been very succesful.

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Your comparing a sub for a mid table team to a first team starter for the last few years of a team who have been very succesful.

When Carrick was 22, he was playing for West Ham.

Age is obviously a factor.

When Carrick was 22, he was playing for West Ham.

Age is obviously a factor.

You compared Carrick to Henderson not a 22yr old Carrick to Henderson.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    You compared Carrick to Henderson not a 22yr old Carrick to Henderson.

If I said McCarthy is like Roy Keane, would you think I meant he is like Roy Keane as his current age of 41 or when he was the same age as McCarthy?

If I said McCarthy is like Roy Keane, would you think I meant he is like Roy Keane as his current age of 41 or when he was the same age as McCarthy?

Well Roy Keane is retired so that would have been more clearer. Saying Carrick and Henderson are similar doesnt' make it clear your talking of a younger Carrick.

That is different because Roy Keane is retired. However if you said for exapmple Frank Lampard instead of Carrick people would still assume you meant a 34 year old Frank Lampard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

So,Who do ye think he is going to inevitably sign for during the summer?

Is there a place now for him at Man Utd,with Scholesy finished.Would he work well with Moyes?

He will follow Martinez to Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

He will follow Martinez to Everton.

Gibson and McCarthy Midfield with Coleman on the wing, might not be a bad thing for an Irish viewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

McCarthy needs to get a better manager than Martinez to realise his potential imo. If he does end up at the same team as Martinez next season I will be very disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Pro. F wrote: »
    McCarthy needs to get a better manager than Martinez to realise his potential imo. If he does end up at the same team as Martinez next season I will be very disappointed.

Off to Swansea with him then
    Seriously though, who. Laudrup VB of Spurs and Moyes would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

The Villa shouts earlier on in the thread are still valid. He's better than Westwood and Lambert would bring him on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If he leaves Wigan ,which is very likely,how much do ye reckon he would cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

yabadabado wrote: »
    If he leaves Wigan ,which is very likely,how much do ye reckon he would cost?

It all depends on his contract there could be a release clause of x amount if they are relegated . I would say if wigan avoided the drop he might have sold for anything up to 15 million .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Pro. F wrote: »

What is so bad about a manager that brought him to the premier league, played him on a regular basis (every game this season) and made McCarthy a central player to how he wanted Wigan to play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Wigan was a good move for him, regular football and development in a good footballing side benefited him better than going to a Spurs or a Man City, not making it then going to a lesser club like Stoke with his reputation reduced and probably a bit depressed by it all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement