Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can my plants survive the current frost

Options
  • 11-12-2012 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

have planted crocuses,irises,alliums and daffodils as well as snowdrops am wondering just how adept are they to growing in the current frosty conditions.For example i have a pot with five allium bulbs(some to the edge of it) and am wondering just how well they are at adapting to cold,frosty weather.that pot for example the top two inches or so of soil is frozen solid i actually had to use a knife to get through it and was even frozen until three pm in the afternoon.Ive since taken it inside as i want to keep it there.the room i have it in isnt too warm (id say its about 4oC - a storeroom) so would it be best to keep it there until they begin to sprout?
    I did earlier on give it some warm water to water it through the ice but its since frozen again could this damage the bulbs.just how frost resistant and hardy are allium bubs.
    Would my other flowers in the flowerbed grow easily

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't know about the ones in pots, but the ones in the ground should be fine, as long as they're well buried.

• Site Banned Posts: 13 Chunkycw

leave them alone and they will be fine. if you heat them up you'll only damage them. they are winter hardy bulbs.

Advertisement