Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBMC/OpenElec TV Card Support

• 11-12-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,707 ✭✭✭✭

Since Live TV/PVR is now becoming better supported I would like to move from Windows to Linux for my HTPC
    Problem seems to be support for TV cards - my Pinnacle 7010 isn't supported.

Can anyone recommend a tried and tested DVB-S2/DVB-T card that they have working in XBMC/OpenElec.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,707 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not a reliable list, even the ones listed as supported people have problems with.
    Looking for real world experience of a card.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not a reliable list, even the ones listed as supported people have problems with.
    Looking for real world experience of a card.

The only one I have used is a USB dongle ....
    Afatech AF9015 DVB-T USB2.0 stick
    with a tda18218 tuner chip.

It works well .... keeps cool if kept in airflow from a fan, otherwise it heats up a bit.

More bothered about DVB-S2 - couldn't really care less about Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

I'm using the TBS6981 Dual DBV-S2 Tuner XBMC as the frontend with TVHeadend as the PVR. You need to be able to compile the TBS drivers on Linux.

• Advertisement

Antigrav wrote: »
    I'm using the TBS6981 Dual DBV-S2 Tuner XBMC as the frontend with TVHeadend as the PVR. You need to be able to compile the TBS drivers on Linux.

Are you using Openelec as the OS or some other Linux version?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

Are you using Openelec as the OS or some other Linux version?

I'm using Openelec ION Build just for XBMC front end. There is a tvheadend add-on for Openelec, but I have it running on a separate server. I think is is much better to have a separate back end accessible on LAN to any other devices.

This would appear to be a community build of OpenElec with the TBS drivers included.

http://openelec.tv/forum/71-pvr--live-tv/56174-tbs-6981-on-openelec?limit=20&start=20#57115

Might be worth a look ..... for those not separating backand function from the HTPC.

I'm open to any OS XBMCbuntu, OpenElec etc.
    I don't see the point of a seperate server just for the tv when I'm only running one box
    Will look at the TBS...

I can confirm that the Openelec version I linked to above works with the TBS 6981.

As it is still based on a Beta version of Openelec it is not quite glitch-free as yet .... but it does use the card ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭PJtharsaile

I'm using a Hauppauge Win-TV Nova HD-S2 DVB-S/DVB-S2 card which works out of the box with OpenElec.

My Hauppauge Nova-T-500 DVB-T dual tuner card doesn't work with OpenElec (v3.0 RC 4). Sees the muxes but 0% signal. Works fine with Windows 7 MC.

Recommendations on a PCI DVB-T card for Irish channels welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭yfaykya

Sorry for adding to old thread. Was about to buy a DVB-T card for openelec - just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

Thanks.

yfaykya wrote: »
    Sorry for adding to old thread. Was about to buy a DVB-T card for openelec - just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

Thanks.

I'm still using TBS 6280 Dual Tuner DVB-T/T2 card, along with TBS 6981 Dual Tuner DVB-S/S2 card.

I am using the 4.0.6 version of Openelec from here which includes drivers for the cards ...
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ymf5w62755xsxc6/ImpVfyeLFd

The relevant thread for info
    http://openelec.tv/forum/83-dvb-s-s2-support/70750-oe-4-0-for-tbs-crazycat-media-build-liplianin

I have no experience of other tuner cards.

Thanks,

My box has no pci/pci-e slots. I need to get a USB one.

Thanks,

My box has no pci/pci-e slots. I need to get a USB one.

You could get a cheap USB dongle with a single or dual tuner on board.

You could get a cheap USB dongle with a single or dual tuner on board.

I'm hoping too :-)
    Just want to see if anyone has used one in openelec/linux - Too old to be farting around with compiling drivers etc any more. Looking for out of the box or as close as it. But obviously if there is a good one that requires work then that's ok too.

Thanks.

I'm hoping too :-)
    Just want to see if anyone has used one in openelec/linux - Too old to be farting around with compiling drivers etc any more. Looking for out of the box or as close as it. But obviously if there is a good one that requires work then that's ok too.

Thanks.

The difficulty with selecting one that works is that there is little or no information when you go to buy one of those about chipset used or tuner chip, and thus no way to know if it is properly supported in Linux.

Yes I have used one in Openelec (using TVHeadend backend) .... but it is supported in Linux. I had that dongle for most of a year before it got support - Afatech AF9015 DVB-T USB2.0 stick

This might help you get a working device
    http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

hi i have a small htpc so no space for a card.so usb would be ideal. i also have a sky dish on roof doing nuthing.can anyone suggest a cheap usb option.i am also running open-elec from a ssd.so will need to be compatable.cheers all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

massy086 wrote: »
    hi i have a small htpc so no space for a card.so usb would be ideal. i also have a sky dish on roof doing nuthing.can anyone suggest a cheap usb option.i am also running open-elec from a ssd.so will need to be compatable.cheers all

anyone????

massy086 wrote: »

Dunno about that requirement but look here

http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/dvb-s2-tv-tuner-usb.html

You will need to check compatibility yourself with whatever Openelec image you choose.

• Advertisement

Or Ebay

Advertisement