Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body and Soul 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Really interesting looking collection of acts here.

The "wow" factor of the Nick Cave booking is tempered by the fact that I'll be seeing him @ Primavera but I reckon seeing him at Ballinlough will be a more special occasion than the Parc del Forum. Plus my better half will now actually be genuinely looking forward to one of the musical acts rather than just looking forward to a hot tub in the woods :)

Delighted to see Mmoths on here - also Solange, Charles Bradley, Willy Mason, George Fitzgerald, Iron Curtis all sounding good to me

Also will be kind of legendary to see Johnny Rotten live!

What a line up.
    Another Wow..

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Wow! is right... I'd like to think I know a fair bit about music and I only recognise 2 acts in that lineup?!
    Both of which I wouldn't go see in my back yard...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

kormak wrote: »
    Wow! is right... I'd like to think I know a fair bit about music and I only recognise 2 acts in that lineup?!
    Both of which I wouldn't go see in my back yard...

Wow! You think you know a fair bit about music!!😜😜

Super line up!

lordgoat wrote: »
    Wow! You think you know a fair bit about music!!😜😜

Super line up!

I do yeah! but obv not to your tastes...
    I doubt I'd be alone in calling that a poor lineup for it's price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.
    That's why I held off till I saw the lineup. Horses for courses I guess...
    Think Longitude is the way forward this year. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Are there more acts to be announced or is this it?
    Nick Cave, PiL and Solange are strong for me, must do some investigating into the other names.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I was hoping to go this year but once again can't :( Plenty of other festivals to make up for it but I really want to experience Body & Soul.

Definitely a case of "horses for courses" on the line-up.

If you like Nick Cave, you will be going "wow" - he's one of the best live performers I've ever seen, and the new album is his best in ages. I predict an epic show - as long as the organisers don't have an epic fail moment and only give him a one-hour slot (i'm still bitter about how short the Spiritualised slot was last year...). His gig at Liss Ard in the 90s is in my personal "Best 5 gigs ever" list, and BnS is well capable of providing an atmosphere to match it.

If my music taste was as guitar focussed as it used to be, then most likely this line-up wouldn't do a lot for me.

Aside from Nick Cave, all the stuff that grabbed my eye is either pop/soul acts like Solange or Charles Bradley, or the electronic acts like Mmoths, George Fitzgerald etc.

And also, most of the above I know very little about. I just feel like I will enjoy them a lot at Ballinlough.

Another reason to be excited (and to shell out the cash for the weekend) is that I feel like BnS is about a lot more than the music. I had a great time there last year, but most of it was enjoying the woodlands, the random DJ's that weren't even worthy of being listed on the official line-up, the food stalls, the hot tubs etc.

So for me, with my tastes, and with the potential absence of EP, going to this feels like a no brainer. Longitude says it's going to be more than just a music festival - I know BnS is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

Will Nick et Al do the Sunday I wonder.
    V tempted to bring the missus and kids on a day trip!

I agree totally. Body & Soul is an amazing wee festival, love it to bits.
    More than just the music... the setup, the atmosphere, the quirkyness of it all!!!
    Just not feeling this year's lineup one single bit, as opposed to previous years.
    It's funny how blinkered people are becoming with the Nick Cave announcement and nothing else.
    Take him away and it's a very weak festival lineup so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

preferred last year's tbh.
    don't like PiL at all, and Nick Cave never did much for me.

Pantha Du Prince and George Fitzgerald would be the only 2 that i'd be especially happy about, although GF is in Dublin next month anyway...
    like bits of Solange, Charles Bradley, Kurt Vile and John Hopkins, so should probably check them out properly.

as grudgehugger says above though, it's definitely a festival that is about a lot more than the music, so not having to race from stage to stage allows you time to enjoy the other things and general vibe at it. every year at EP for example, i never get to see any of the "other" stuff really, because from 3pm onwards there's always an act i want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Adultrock, Willy Mason, MMoths and RSAG will be worth a look. I got an early bird ticket but I wouldn't pay €145 for them

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

Nick playing saturday night by whats on his/their website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Definitely a case of "horses for courses" on the line-up.

If you like Nick Cave, you will be going "wow" - he's one of the best live performers I've ever seen, and the new album is his best in ages. I predict an epic show - as long as the organisers don't have an epic fail moment and only give him a one-hour slot (i'm still bitter about how short the Spiritualised slot was last year...). His gig at Liss Ard in the 90s is in my personal "Best 5 gigs ever" list, and BnS is well capable of providing an atmosphere to match it.

If my music taste was as guitar focussed as it used to be, then most likely this line-up wouldn't do a lot for me.

Aside from Nick Cave, all the stuff that grabbed my eye is either pop/soul acts like Solange or Charles Bradley, or the electronic acts like Mmoths, George Fitzgerald etc.

And also, most of the above I know very little about. I just feel like I will enjoy them a lot at Ballinlough.

Another reason to be excited (and to shell out the cash for the weekend) is that I feel like BnS is about a lot more than the music. I had a great time there last year, but most of it was enjoying the woodlands, the random DJ's that weren't even worthy of being listed on the official line-up, the food stalls, the hot tubs etc.

So for me, with my tastes, and with the potential absence of EP, going to this feels like a no brainer. Longitude says it's going to be more than just a music festival - I know BnS is.

Just out of interest, how long did Spiritualized play for last year. Was gonna head down (they would've been the main reason) but didn't in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭autotrader

That looks like a fairly rubbish line up compare to last year:o

You'd think with EP not announced yet they may have picked up a few more marquee names. I can't imagine many people would have many of those acts on their must see list

I'm sure it will be great craic anyway but it's a but of a marmite line up

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Just out of interest, how long did Spiritualized play for last year. Was gonna head down (they would've been the main reason) but didn't in the end

About an hour, maybe a little less.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Some nice additions here from On The Record
    Latest additions to the Body & Soul festival which takes place at Ballinlough Castle, Co Westmeath from June 21 to 23:

**** Buttons (hell yeah!)
    The Congos (“Fisherman” will sound ace in that setting)
    Kate Boy (Stockholm-based band playing as part of their first ever tour)
    Forrests (Dublin-based two-piece with a soon-come debut album under their collective oxters)

They join the previously announced Solange, Nick Cave, PiL (featuring sexist numptie John Lydon), Charles Bradley, George Fitzgerald and many more. We hear that more acts will be added to the bill in the coming weeks.

Weekend camping tickets for the festival are €139 a pop (plus TM rebates tax) and are now on sale

F*ck B*ttons is a great addition :)

No word on whether they have new material coming out - I assume they do.

Fantastic news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

And Wallis Bird who I love...

F*ck Butttons will be feckin surreal @ Body&Soul!! Great addition...
    It's still lacking Oomph! but it's headed in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭roll

is there music on the friday-can't remember from last year....

would it be fair to say the organizers of B&S have overpriced a little bit this year?
    Especially now as you can get a wknd camping ticket to Electric Picnic for €150 with proof of previous picnic attendance, which I'm sure most people can provide!!
    Just from speaking with random people, the feeling seems to be favouring the Picnic especially as it's back being "affordable".
    Persoanlly speaking I think it was a big mistake jacking up the prices of B&S this year...
    regardless if it's a 3 day event. Just seems a bit oppurtunistic, especially with the lineup!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭roll

u are dead on but tis too late now-tix bought! they might not sell many more now tho....

• Registered Users Posts: 43 IntoYourSister

What i don't get about the Body & Soul lineup is that they have so far only announced 23 acts.

It's supposed to be 3 days of music over about 6 or 7 stages.

They could really do with announcing more acts!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

IMO I would rather pay €150 for b&s than go to EP.
    It is a far superior festival....sure the line up doesnt have as many big acts but it also doesnt have a tonne of **** either :)
    I dont think they are comparable but if you have to then my money is on b&s!
    Cant wait ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Fi H wrote: »
    IMO I would rather pay €150 for b&s than go to EP.
    It is a far superior festival....sure the line up doesnt have as many big acts but it also doesnt have a tonne of **** either :)
    I dont think they are comparable but if you have to then my money is on b&s!
    Cant wait ....

I love Body & Soul festival too but I'm a Picnic veteran also, this will be my 9th year in a row going there, I wouldn't knock the Picnic. Bear in mind that there wouldn't be a Body & Soul festival if it wasn't for the Picnic in first place.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Will there be another announcement for this soon.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Will there be another announcement for this soon.

Was just thinking the same myself... it doesn't look likely does it?!
    I've been getting into some of the acts listed to play but I would agree it's agree it's lacking big time!
    Very few DJs/Electronic acts??
    George Fitz, **** Buttons, Mmmoths... is that it?

Advertisement