Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body and Soul 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

I have to believe that enforcement on this drinks policy will be reasonably lax.

One way or another this is getting them a lot of negative press - posts on their Facebook page are hate-tastic.

This is the last thing they need in the week before the festival (when most people buy their tickets apparently...).

Do people this will have a major impact on the attendance? Anyone got any anecdotal info on how tickets are selling e.g. you knew 20 people going last year but this year it's only a handful???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I have to believe that enforcement on this drinks policy will be reasonably lax.

One way or another this is getting them a lot of negative press - posts on their Facebook page are hate-tastic.

This is the last thing they need in the week before the festival (when most people buy their tickets apparently...).

Do people this will have a major impact on the attendance? Anyone got any anecdotal info on how tickets are selling e.g. you knew 20 people going last year but this year it's only a handful???

Well im glad they are getting negative press, they deserve it, the greedy pigs

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭dendof

None of us went last year but after enjoying Body & Soul so much at Electric Picnic last year 7 of us are going to Body & Soul festival this year.
    We also went to Vantastival earlier this year which was completely BYO, with no checks whatsover. That was laid back beyond belief, even ended up buying the odd can in the bar there while wandering around rather than go back to the campsite for a bargain €3. Great vibes.
    I know you can't really compare the two festivals but this alcohol thing is going completely against their whole free-spirited vibe thing. Sure the best craic at Electric Picnic is when they allow you to bring in cans after the bars close. Then up to Body & Soul arena and maybe give an auld stranger or two a can, knowing you have a few back at the tent anyways. Won't be doing that at B&S with my 24 cans. 8 a day is maybe enough for some but a concert special (coke bottle etc with a spirit) is a glorious thing at a festival!
    This is a PR disaster, and rightly so. It's left a sour taste with all my friends. I can't see them being strict at the searches. I'm sure it'll be a good festival and all but they could have done without this hassle the week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

dendof wrote: »
    None of us went last year but after enjoying Body & Soul so much at Electric Picnic last year 7 of us are going to Body & Soul festival this year.
    We also went to Vantastival earlier this year which was completely BYO, with no checks whatsover. That was laid back beyond belief, even ended up buying the odd can in the bar there while wandering around rather than go back to the campsite for a bargain €3. Great vibes.
    I know you can't really compare the two festivals but this alcohol thing is going completely against their whole free-spirited vibe thing. Sure the best craic at Electric Picnic is when they allow you to bring in cans after the bars close. Then up to Body & Soul arena and maybe give an auld stranger or two a can, knowing you have a few back at the tent anyways. Won't be doing that at B&S with my 24 cans. 8 a day is maybe enough for some but a concert special (coke bottle etc with a spirit) is a glorious thing at a festival!
    This is a PR disaster, and rightly so. It's left a sour taste with all my friends. I can't see them being strict at the searches. I'm sure it'll be a good festival and all but they could have done without this hassle the week before.

I was at Body & Soul last year and it 's a great festival. Lovely vibe, great location, friendly people and just an allround good time. But as I said, it's biggest selling point is its laid back nature and older crowd - yet with these restrictions, people are being treated like children. There was no trouble last year but the alcohol limits have been more than halved - it's poor form, espcially considering the price increase.

Last year I brought 24 cans and two litres of spirits. I brought some home with me and I gave a lot away, but it was nice to have a choice of what to drink. I also bought a rakeload of pints in the main arena - so that's why it leaves a bit of a sour taste.

[edit] To anyone posting complaints on the Body & Soul Facebook page, keep it civil. Get your point across without using insults. They are much more likely to pay attention to well argued points rather than abuse, which is likely to be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Laura Sheeran is playing Wanderlust on the Saturday at midnight, she's well worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Body&Soul After the points raised in relation to the policy of bringing alcohol into Body&Soul 2013 we met collectively last night and feel that some strong, valid and honest observations were made. On reviewing your feedback and on reflection we have revised our position to 24 cans or 4 bottles of wine or 1 litre of spirits.

We are sorry that this has upset people. We put a huge amount of work creatively, organisationally and artistically to deliver a festival that is safe and enjoyable. We also very much appreciate and respect our audience and the constructive comments that were well made and well put. We hope that our revised position will be more acceptable and tolerable to you.

We ask that our festival-goers drink responsibly and respect the hard work that our staff have put into this festival, the overall programme and the beautiful art installations which reside in Ballinlough.
    We are giving everything we've got into making this years Body&Soul the best it has ever been and look forward to seeing everyone soon.

Basically increased spirit and wine levels, still not great.

That's still fairly useless. Lugging in your slab plus all your gear is a pain in the hole, and i think we all know sneaking the spirits in, in your bag won't be a big deal, it's the fact that you cant bring booze in on saturday which is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Friends of mine are playing the Fusion stage in Sunday night, where is the Fusion stage? Is that formally known as the Radio Shack stage or tent and is it in the Walled Garden or the Forest, is it the Forest Dance stage that Donal Dineen done his mammoth three hour set on Friday night?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Really shot themselves in the foot this year Body&Soul. First the price hike for a “3 day festival” that’s not gonna have any live music the first day?
    Then the lineup… some quality acts came along eventually, but at first it was one of the poorest anti-climax announcements in years.
    Then there’s the latest bullish beer restrictions and all the time their feckin radio ad bleets across TodayFM every 2 minutes which means they haven’t come even close to selling out this year!!
    I like Body&Sould, have been in the past and would love to see F*ck Buttons live this year but sorry B&S… this year it’s just BS!

It has been done before, didnt Liss Ard festival last year have a no re-entry with alcohol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Solange and Kate Boy are clashing as are Kid Karate and Adult Rock.
    What's a boy to do?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152907725340514&set=a.10150135048660514.404571.234755240513&type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Anyone know the lineups on Sat and Sun?
    Also can you buy day tickets?

Chelon wrote: »
    Anyone know the lineups on Sat and Sun?
    Also can you buy day tickets?[/QUO
    Just the weekend tickets and Sunday tickets only.

Did well on my guesses at the day splits - main slip-up was thinking Midnight Circus wouldn't be open the Friday - but it is and James Murphy is on then... so arrive on Friday everyone!

James Murphy -> Lucent Dossier -> Donal Dineen from 10 to 3am sounds like 5 hours of good music and serious craic :)
    Wondering about day splits myself so been having a browse around... My educated guess at the Main Stage splits...

Saturday:
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
    **** Buttons
    Charles Bradley & His Extraordinaires
    Mmoths
    Kid Karate
    Candice Gordon

Sunday:
    Wallis Bird
    Public Image Ltd
    Doldrums
    Solange
    Willy Mason
    The Congos

Unsure:
    Nicolas Jaar
    Kurt Vile & The Violators
    Breton
    Forrests

In case people weren't clear, official stage-times are up now on the Facebook page at link posted by Eroticplants.

Happy enough with it, although Nick Cave clashing with both Mmoths and George FitzGerald is a bit of a pain....

Have been really looking to George F, but him overlapping with both Nick Cave and F!ck Buttons is not good :(
    Solange and Kate Boy are clashing as are Kid Karate and Adult Rock.
    What's a boy to do?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152907725340514&set=a.10150135048660514.404571.234755240513&type=1&theater

Is the Midnight Circus, what was called the Upstage Tent last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭jimosterberg

Delighted with those stage times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Anyone know if they are strict with checking wristbands into the campsite on Sunday? Just going to see Nicolas Jaar really but not really into leaving straight away afterwards..

so they did a complete u-turn with their drinks policy after people quite rightly went mental at them on their facebook page.... poor form!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

kormak wrote: »
    so they did a complete u-turn with their drinks policy after people quite rightly went mental at them on their facebook page.... poor form!
    they haven't done a complete u-turn, just increased the amount of spirits or wine you can bring, up to a still inadequate level for 3 days.

still can't bring in any alcohol after your first entry to the campsite.

• Advertisement

they haven't done a complete u-turn, just increased the amount of spirits or wine you can bring, up to a still inadequate level for 3 days.

still can't bring in any alcohol after your first entry to the campsite.
    Oh really?! that's crazy stuff... sounds like they're stuck between a rock and a hard place... i.e. loyal fans vs greedy corpo sponsors!

For these that are fans of the site, BnS Clashfinder is available at http://clashfinder.com/s/bodyandsoul2013/

The weather forecast isnt looking great for the next 7 days...could be a bit of a bog by the time we arrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

dulux99 wrote: »
    The weather forecast isnt looking great for the next 7 days...could be a bit of a bog by the time we arrive!

Shush you!!!!!!:p

The sun shall be splitting the stones this time next week.......

Still a bit miffed that going to Nick Cave and F!ck Buttons will mean missing George FitzGerald.

However, this Boiler Room audio has cheered me up quite a bit :)

Jon Hopkins live @ Boiler Room

It's from a live performance this week so expect B&S to sound very much like this.

Jon Hopkins followed by Nicolas Jaar will be a fantastic finish to the festival, I reckon...

Still a bit miffed that going to Nick Cave and F!ck Buttons will mean missing George FitzGerald.

However, this Boiler Room audio has cheered me up quite a bit :)

Jon Hopkins live @ Boiler Room

It's from a live performance this week so expect B&S to sound very much like this.

Jon Hopkins followed by Nicolas Jaar will be a fantastic finish to the festival, I reckon...

Thanks for posting, I wasn't aware of this guy, till one of my mates started raving about his new album and then you posted this, so I'm definitely going to check him out. Was listening to these guys too.

A pretty interesting line up there.

Could anyone tell me what the trek is like from car park to campsite? and is the campsite quite big? I won't be landing up till about 6 and most of my pals won't be up till about 8, I just hope the campsite isn't too cramped

dulux99 wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me what the trek is like from car park to campsite? and is the campsite quite big? I won't be landing up till about 6 and most of my pals won't be up till about 8, I just hope the campsite isn't too cramped

Having worked at the car parks last year, I would say to the main campsite about fifteen to twenty minutes if you are not carrying anything and at least half an hour to 35 mins if you are carrying a fair load.

Having worked at the car parks last year, I would say to the main campsite about fifteen to twenty minutes if you are not carrying anything and at least half an hour to 35 mins if you are carrying a fair load.

Ugh for Christ sake. Makes the fact that we've to lug all the booze in at once even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 bogzilla

crazy question i know ... but is there anywhere nearby [i.e. pub / hotel within 5k] to watch the lions first test on the saturday morning?

:(

Advertisement