Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body and Soul 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Sziget, Exit, T-in the Park, Reading, Hardly strictly bluegrass, Witnness, all didn't allow alcohol when I went.
    Glasto was the unique one, allowing alcohol
    Things have changed somewhat recently - I think the B&S intention is noble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I'm just going to bring a crate of beer for them to see and then stuff a litre of vodka wrapped up in a sleeping bag or whatever. There's no way they are going to be rigorously searching everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

harryd2 wrote: »
    Sziget, Exit, T-in the Park, Reading, Hardly strictly bluegrass, Witnness, all didn't allow alcohol when I went.

Witnness and Reading for two of that list definitely allow drink into the campsites.
    In my experience bar Castlepalooza, they all do into the campsites.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

And in fairness to Castlepalooza the tickets are great value for money imho. Sure you'll have to buy drink in the campsite and arena but at least they make it transparent every year. I bought my ticket for body and soul 6 months ago and then couldnt believe what i read about the alcohol situation on here last week.

Still 24 cans and bottle of whiskey packed in the tent bag, its not gonna be an issue for me. But what about (im guessing) the majority of people who still havent heard about this and will show up unexpectantly on friday. Should be fun to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Bringing it back to the positive side of things for a moment (hope that's allowed!), just listened to this Nicolas Jaar Boiler Room set on my drive home this evening - love it.

I've said it before and am so excited I'll say it again.... Jon Hopkins and then Nico Jaar should be an epic end to what I expect to be a great weekend - regardless of the misguided booze policy and dodgy weather forecast.

And if anyone browsing this board is a Twin Peaks fan, you have to give the first track on this Nicolas Jaar Essential Mix a listen. Angelo Badalamenti comes across as a total legend. I'm thinking of starting the "Angelo for Body and Soul 2014" campaign once I get back from the festival on Monday - who's with me?!

(on the alcohol, the no booze on re-entry is what's really killing them I think - as many of us have said, surely enforcement will be very lax....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Any lifts going up from Galway on the Friday for 2? Will pay petrol etc, don't really want to get a bus to dublin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

kormak wrote: »
    you're considering selling your B&S ticket because you're gonna miss a Lions game?! the mind boggles!!

and the possible poxy weather which i mentioned and not accommadating loads of people for the match and ripping people off on the gargle... the mind boggles :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    and the possible poxy weather which i mentioned and not accommadating loads of people for the match and ripping people off on the gargle... the mind boggles :rolleyes:

My take on this and the overall frustration with the organisers coming out in many posts:

Body and Soul provide a unique experience for the Irish festival goer. The variety of small music and arts happenings not listed on the main poster is unrivalled. No other Irish festival in the same broad target market comes close when it comes to what's offered when you exclude the bands listed on the posters, not even the Electric Picnic I would say.

This year they have made a major PR faux pas with their alcohol policy, most likely due to sponsorship restrictions which they are now bound by and can't easily get out of.

The reason for this is much more likely, in my opinion, to be the shakiness and riskiness of putting on an event like Body and Soul rather than corporate greed.

There are also plenty of people who won't go this weekend due to the bad weather forecast thereby losing BnS lots of money for reasons totally outside their control.

Sponsorship is one way for them to protect themselves against the fickleness of the Irish weather and the impact it can have on their ability to pay off the sizeable costs they incur in entertaining me and thousands of others for a weekend.

Hopefully the fuss over the booze policy is a storm in a teacup and the festival's good rep is enough to guarantee a decent turn-out despite the forecast.

EP could easily be shelved any year now and replaced with either nothing or something much more corporate and bland. BnS deserves the support of the Irish festival going public - losing it wouldn't take all that much I imagine and I think we would be losing something pretty special.

Let's all go have a great weekend in the sun, in the rain, under a super moon, under banks of clouds.... whatever ... and when we're done having the craic make sure BnS continue to have the point rammed home that unduly restrictive booze policies do them no favours so strike a better deal (still a deal, just a better one!) with their sponsors next time.

Rant almost over.... just one thing left...

As for the Lions thing, this is pretty standard for music festivals.... not 100% sure why but most likely as it's a slippery slope - if you show one event, why not have the GAA on as well, or the tennis or whatever.... perhaps some kind of odd snootiness about showing sports, I'm not sure.... Anyhow, I've never watched a major sporting event at any of the 20-odd multi-day festivals I've been to home and abroad. Only one I've heard of being shown was a Barca Champs League final @ Primavera (in Barca) a few years back. That was a one-off though - this year the game wasn't shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

Fridays weather forecast is improving !!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

The booze situation although not really cool, is not all that bad...
    My UK buddies tell me that they've to put up with police sniffer dogs who surprise you at the gates!!
    This sounds like a right pain in the ar$e... something that thankfully we haven't yet seen at Irish festivals. *touchwood*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 ofthebeststuff

grudgehugger! I love your attitude. You can have one of my can allowance any day. :)

And I agree that sponsorship is needed, and that it's a tricky row to hoe. I'm often involved in putting on events (though nothing remotely of this scale) and I know that when we accept sponsorship, it's not out of greediness, but because we are genuinely excited with what a bigger budget would allow us to do creatively, what it will allow us to give the audience.

Sponsorship also keeps ticket prices down.

So yeah, nothing against keeping the sponsors happy. I personally won't be affected by the cap, probably. I'm most likely coming by bus and am not even sure of my ability to carry 24 cans along with everything else. I think it was just terribly handled, and the no re-entry hurts the masses of people who simply use their car as a safe, to catch the few who might be profiteering, etc... I worry a little that having to keep all the alcohol in the tents might lead to a rash of tent-robbing as people run out of cans. But people are mostly kind. I've only ever has stuff robbed at one festival, and the probable culprits turned out to not even have tickets.

As for the sports thing, I think all the interested parties should band together and take a minibus to the pub. It's sure to be affordable at that rate: I've seen guys asking that question all over the internet.

Lukker, many of my Galway friends and I seem to be having trouble getting lifts. But! There is actually a Galway/Athboy bus running. It's like 23 euro single, 34 euro return. There's one 20 min stop in Athlone. It's not ideal, but I'd say it's easier/cheaper than going to Dublin. You need to get the Dundalk bus at 12:30. You'll get to Athboy at 16:15, and I image there will be a load of people who could share a taxi from there, it's only a few miles. I'm waiting to hear back from one more friend about a lift and then I'm going to book it.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360753126-070.pdf

I am getting pretty damned excited! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Any buses from Cork going? Getting excited now!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ofthebeststuff

Looks like the only option is to go to Dublin and get a bus from there:

http://getthere.ie/cork-athboy/21-Jun

You can either take Bus Eireann buses all the way or connect to the festival buses. Not sure which option is cheaper.

By Bus – Dublin

Official Festival buses leave from Custom House Quay, a 5 minute walk from O’Connell Bridge (near Busaras), directly across the quays from Tara Street Station.
    Return tickets cost €28 and can be purchased on the day at Customs House Quay.

Timetable:

Friday, 21 June 2013

Dep Customs House Quay, Dublin 14.00 16.00 18.00 18.30

Saturday, 22 June 2013

Dep Customs House Quay, Dublin 10.00 11.00 12.00 13.00

Sunday, 23 June 2013

Dep Customs House Quay, Dublin 11.00 12.00

Sunday, 23 June 2013

Dep Ballinlough Castle 22.30 00.00 01.30 02.30

Monday, 24 June 2013

Dep Ballinlough Castle 09.00 10.30 11.30 12.30 13.30

Departs from Tipperary at 13.00, Cashel 13.30, Portlaois at 14.30.

Note: Regular commuter services from Limerick, Cork and Galway have buses that get into Dublin in time to connect with Body&Soul buses departing from Custom House Quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Yeah that's what I thought. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

harryd2 wrote: »
    as mentioned above, Witnness and Reading did/do allow alcohol to be brought to the campsite, and i'm pretty sure TITP does too.
    the other 3, i don't know. almost every Irish festival does though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

24 cans.
    3 days.
    8 cans a day.
    Wow.
    Party.

grudgehugger! I love your attitude. You can have one of my can allowance any day. :)

And I agree that sponsorship is needed, and that it's a tricky row to hoe. I'm often involved in putting on events (though nothing remotely of this scale) and I know that when we accept sponsorship, it's not out of greediness, but because we are genuinely excited with what a bigger budget would allow us to do creatively, what it will allow us to give the audience.

Sponsorship also keeps ticket prices down.

So yeah, nothing against keeping the sponsors happy. I personally won't be affected by the cap, probably. I'm most likely coming by bus and am not even sure of my ability to carry 24 cans along with everything else. I think it was just terribly handled, and the no re-entry hurts the masses of people who simply use their car as a safe, to catch the few who might be profiteering, etc... I worry a little that having to keep all the alcohol in the tents might lead to a rash of tent-robbing as people run out of cans. But people are mostly kind. I've only ever has stuff robbed at one festival, and the probable culprits turned out to not even have tickets.
    i've nothing against sponsorship, i'd gladly have corporate logos all over the place if it meant cheaper tickets prices.
    this year the prices have gone up though, along with the restrictions on alcohol, which i could understand if there was some sort of clear point to them, but there doesn't seem to be any reasonable explanation as to what B&S are trying to achieve not allowing people to bring alcohol in with them after their first trip, let alone the meagre allowances. hiding behind "advice from the relevant authorities and DrinkAware" seems like a complete cop-out.

with any luck, they'll completely ignore these rules, and just act like they did last year, and pretty much every other festival does.
    i know people who aren't going this year, partly because of the alcohol/re-entrance limits, and there will probably be plenty more next year if they do enforce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

8 cans a day would not obliterate everyone. And whats with the "we"?

As for the Lions thing, this is pretty standard for music festivals.... not 100% sure why but most likely as it's a slippery slope - if you show one event, why not have the GAA on as well, or the tennis or whatever.... perhaps some kind of odd snootiness about showing sports, I'm not sure.... Anyhow, I've never watched a major sporting event at any of the 20-odd multi-day festivals I've been to home and abroad. Only one I've heard of being shown was a Barca Champs League final @ Primavera (in Barca) a few years back. That was a one-off though - this year the game wasn't shown.
    i believe there's the cost of getting a licence to show it too.
    i remember Oxegen showed the World Cup final in 2006 on a big screen in the campsite, and I think they showed the 2010 one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

Funkfield wrote: »
    24 cans.
    3 days.
    8 cans a day.
    Wow.
    Party.
    not to mention if you'd prefer to bring spirits instead of beer/cider, you're restricted to 1L, which is a about 4 or 5 doubles for the full day/night....

good for you.

it's not enough for a lot of people going to festivals though, including many who don't get "obliterated".

thankfully B&S can treat us like children rather than allowing us to make reasonable decisions as adults, and it has nothing to do with making money :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

My take on this and the overall frustration with the organisers coming out in many posts:

Body and Soul provide a unique experience for the Irish festival goer. The variety of small music and arts happenings not listed on the main poster is unrivalled. No other Irish festival in the same broad target market comes close when it comes to what's offered when you exclude the bands listed on the posters, not even the Electric Picnic I would say.

This year they have made a major PR faux pas with their alcohol policy, most likely due to sponsorship restrictions which they are now bound by and can't easily get out of.

The reason for this is much more likely, in my opinion, to be the shakiness and riskiness of putting on an event like Body and Soul rather than corporate greed.

There are also plenty of people who won't go this weekend due to the bad weather forecast thereby losing BnS lots of money for reasons totally outside their control.

Sponsorship is one way for them to protect themselves against the fickleness of the Irish weather and the impact it can have on their ability to pay off the sizeable costs they incur in entertaining me and thousands of others for a weekend.

Hopefully the fuss over the booze policy is a storm in a teacup and the festival's good rep is enough to guarantee a decent turn-out despite the forecast.

EP could easily be shelved any year now and replaced with either nothing or something much more corporate and bland. BnS deserves the support of the Irish festival going public - losing it wouldn't take all that much I imagine and I think we would be losing something pretty special.

Let's all go have a great weekend in the sun, in the rain, under a super moon, under banks of clouds.... whatever ... and when we're done having the craic make sure BnS continue to have the point rammed home that unduly restrictive booze policies do them no favours so strike a better deal (still a deal, just a better one!) with their sponsors next time.

Rant almost over.... just one thing left...

At last, an adult has entered the conversation.

At last, an adult has entered the conversation.

You're an adult!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭roll

i'm not as worried about the weather as some.... it will be showery on sat but with a bit of luck they should be isolated enough notwithstanding the fact that one or two may be heavy-still if its just isolated showers and not persistant rain the ground will dry up fairly quickly-especially as it will be breezy..... my biggest problem this weekend is i can't go friday! however b&s is the ultimate in getting away from the rat race-can't wait!

Whether you like it or not, some people are viewing this as a three day session, myself included.

It's a pity about the weather and the Lions match but I'll get over it :) I can't wait

Does anyone remember the rain on Saturday last year? Literally as soon I pitched my tent around 2pm, it started raining heavily for an hour or so. I just remember looking at my friends with that "oh ****" feeling. At least I'll be prepared this time

Grimebox wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the rain on Saturday last year? Literally as soon I pitched my tent around 2pm, it started raining heavily for an hour or so. I just remember looking at my friends with that "oh ****" feeling. At least I'll be prepared this time

I must have arrived just after you. Pitched my tent in an overflow campsite that had recently been vacated of sheep. Pitched it in a few inches of mud at that point.

Had the best festival experience ever after that though.

• Advertisement

Funkfield wrote: »
    I must have arrived just after you. Pitched my tent in an overflow campsite that had recently been vacated of sheep. Pitched it in a few inches of mud at that point.

Had the best festival experience ever after that though.

I'm ashamed to admit that the overflow site is how I got in. After deciding to go down at the last minute, I was told after a few phones calls that I could get tickets on the door since ticketmaster was no longer selling. I couldn't. I had a choice of going home or... :o

Advertisement