If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centre speaker for Onkyo NR609

Options
  • 11-12-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭

Hi. Any thoughts on a centre speaker for Onkyo NR609. I have the little boston accoustics 5.1. The little centre looks a bit out of place, and I'm sure bigger = better, even if the wife tells me otherwise :)

If I could pick one up for about 100 euro that would give me a noticeable improvement it would be great...

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi. Any thoughts on a centre speaker for Onkyo NR609. I have the little boston accoustics 5.1. The little centre looks a bit out of place, and I'm sure bigger = better, even if the wife tells me otherwise :)

If I could pick one up for about 100 euro that would give me a noticeable improvement it would be great...

mcentre.large.jpg

Keep me posted if you would like to grab one,

ATVB,

John Mc& Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Looks like a monitor audio centre. What price delivered to Dublin? Thanks.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Looks like a monitor audio centre. What price delivered to Dublin? Thanks.
    Boards member

Apologies for the delay getting back to you AND also for not posting the price!

The MCentre is £69.95 and shipping is £12.95

If you would like to go for it please drop us a PM or a mail with your contact details to sales@richersounds.ie and I'll get one of the guys to give you a shout to get you sorted.

Thanks again
    John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi RS.

I'm just getting back on this now....I lost momentum before, but I am keen to get a better centre speaker. I find the Boston Accoustics speakers very good, particularly for their size, and I'm pretty happy with them apart from the clarity of dialogue on some moves.

So I'm looking to trade up the centre for something better. I still have the same setup, Boston Accoustics XS 5.1 with the Onkyo NR 609.

Should I be looking for something with little or no bass because I have the sub? I listen to music through spotify, will a better centre speaker affect the overall balance of the room for music?

I don't want anything too big, it has to go on a shelf above the telly, so maybe something about 4 or 5 times the width of the boston speakers, and not more than twice the height. 

Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated, ideally with prices. Anything shop floor/demo would be ideal as don't want to blow too much on this.

Thanks!

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

Hi RS.

I'm just getting back on this now....I lost momentum before, but I am keen to get a better centre speaker. I find the Boston Accoustics speakers very good, particularly for their size, and I'm pretty happy with them apart from the clarity of dialogue on some moves.

So I'm looking to trade up the centre for something better. I still have the same setup, Boston Accoustics XS 5.1 with the Onkyo NR 609.

Should I be looking for something with little or no bass because I have the sub? I listen to music through spotify, will a better centre speaker affect the overall balance of the room for music?

I don't want anything too big, it has to go on a shelf above the telly, so maybe something about 4 or 5 times the width of the boston speakers, and not more than twice the height. 

Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated, ideally with prices. Anything shop floor/demo would be ideal as don't want to blow too much on this.

Thanks!
    HI Boardsmember,

Going by the previous posts, would the Monitor Audio MR Centre suit - http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200811-mr-centre-walnut.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab - at £79/€108?  Dimensions WxDxH are 460x165x165?

Centre speakers are geared more towards vocals than anything else in a surround setup, so there's no issue to look for one with less bass etc.
    To match it in to your system, you just need to set up the speaker levels in the amp to suit

Cheers
    Brian

• Advertisement

Thanks Brian, I will measure up tonight and see if it fits.

Probably a stupid question, but does it come with a cover or grille (not even sure what to call it), i.e. are the cones visible or behind a fabril layer?

Hi Brian,

I measured up and it will fit, though her indoors will want me to put it in the cabinet out of view. 

I'd be keen on the black rather than brown version, do you have that in stock?

How much would delivery to Dublin be?

Thanks,

David

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

Hi Brian,

I measured up and it will fit, though her indoors will want me to put it in the cabinet out of view. 

I'd be keen on the black rather than brown version, do you have that in stock?

How much would delivery to Dublin be?

Thanks,

David
    it does come with a black/grey cloth grille on it yea - http://ca2.monitoraudiocdn.com/downloads/brochure/Monitor-Reference-2015-LR.pdf?mtime=20150402162705

The black we have in stock, ready to ship, and at €108 including shipping.

If you're interested, give me a call on 0044333 900 0070 option2 or drop me a PM with your contact number

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks Brian, the speaker arrived promptly and sounds great.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks Brian, the speaker arrived promptly and sounds great.
    Excellent Boardsmemeber!

Glad you are up and running and happy with your purchase.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.