Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blank screen

Options
  • 11-12-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi i have a Dell vostro 3700 & the screen is blank. Its not black, there is some light so i assume its not the inverter. The laptop charges & power button stays on, there is a lock with a 9 inside it that light stays on to. Any help with this ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Hi i have a Dell vostro 3700 & the screen is blank. Its not black, there is some light so i assume its not the inverter. The laptop charges & power button stays on, there is a lock with a 9 inside it that light stays on to. Any help with this ?

check the ribbon cable going from the laptop screen to the motherboard is not damaged or loose

usually a lit but black screen means it is getting power but no signal from the gchip on the laptop... that usually means the flat ribbon cable is either loose or damaged.

but in some cases if the gchip is blown it will happen too... try plugging in an external monitor to verify that the gchip is working. if u see a picture on the external screen you know the problem lies with the ribbon cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Possibly just loose cable or its gone. I had to replace the LCD cable in my Toshiba and works grand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 activityyup

Ive reseated the lcd cable & processor, ram, hdd & all the cables & tried a external screen but no signal on that. fn f8 to switch it onto external screen ? Sometimes when i go to turn it off i dont have to hold the power button to turn it off, other times i have to hold it down for a few seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Ive reseated the lcd cable & processor, ram, hdd & all the cables & tried a external screen but no signal on that. fn f8 to switch it onto external screen ? Sometimes when i go to turn it off i dont have to hold the power button to turn it off, other times i have to hold it down for a few seconds

no signal on external screen mean the gpu is toast... you'll need a new motherboard for the laptop.... is it still under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Graphics card might be an issue. Probably need to replace your screen. Had to replace mine and and get a new screen as my old one went green could still see the screen but went black/blank after a few weeks. Take it to a technical support person to see what can be done. Take the whole computer mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement