Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros and cons of kindle fire

• 11-12-2012 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

hi all,
    lookin at gettin a Kindle fire 8 Gb, primarily as an e-book but lookin at the internet access too. Only interested in getting gmail access and social network as i hear they are supported.
    Suggestions please..............:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭macsauce

Im looking at getting one too. tbh i havent done much research but definitely two pros would be the much lower price compared to the ipad and also the free 3g functionality you get for downloading books (again, not sure if thats supported on the fire as it now comes with all the new apps etc). I do have one question though: Since they're not yet available in Ireland (licence problems apparently) do anybody know if i order one from the UK will it work in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

on sale in Dixons in Dublin Airport

Really?! Was reading comments from PC World page that they wouldn't be in till 2013. Thanks, I'll drop into Carrickmines tomorrow and see if they have any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

macsauce wrote: »
    Really?! Was reading comments from PC World page that they wouldn't be in till 2013. Thanks, I'll drop into Carrickmines tomorrow and see if they have any.

The Kindle Fire isn't on sale in Ireland. Perhaps it's only available in the Airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Diairist

At the airport 'Amazon kindle wifi e reader, 6" e-ink display screen WR enabled ( I don't understand most of this...) €79.72; €17 for 3 years support option...

• Advertisement

Hi Diarist, that looks like one of the older models. Did you happen to see the Kindle Fire? Its the one with a colour screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Diairist wrote: »
    At the airport 'Amazon kindle wifi e reader, 6" e-ink display screen WR enabled ( I don't understand most of this...) €79.72; €17 for 3 years support option...

Yeah that's not the Fire. The Fire is 7" for a start.

You can't get the Kindle Fire in the Republic.

I didn't look that hard. Travel companions acting the maggot at the time..

macsauce wrote: »
    Hi Diarist, that looks like one of the older models. Did you happen to see the Kindle Fire? Its the one with a colour screen?

I didn't look too far along the row. Didn't actually know what to look for. Debating between kobo / kindle + / - fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

OP, did you consider the Nexus 7? You can get it in Currys for €250.

It's a 7in tablet in a similar price range to the Kindle Fire. It has a quad core processor and runs Jelly Bean OS, so its operation is quick and smooth.

I had considered the Kindle Fire, but bought the nexus 7 instead. I'm very happy with it.

The Guardian has a comparative review of similar devices here.

Somebody mentioned 3g. The Kindle Paperwhite 3g has it and the old Kindle Keyboard 3g had it, but the Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD do not. You can see here if you scroll three quarters of the way down the page for a comparison between Kindles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement