Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Hulk returning to PC

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Spent many hours on the board game and the PC one as well. I think this is more a version of the board game, which is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Seems like a perfect iOS game actually, but I hope it pops up on the Windows Store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242570/

Available for pre-order now on Steam. For the odd price of €27.99. My first reaction was "that's a low price for a pre-order game, quality must be ****", but PC Gamer and RPS seem to be reasonable happy with it. I'm still not going to preorder despite my hard-on for W40K games, I'm a bit wary of this.

Never played the original, for the record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

STOMP STOMP STOMP
    Purge the Xenos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242570/

Available for pre-order now on Steam. For the odd price of €27.99. My first reaction was "that's a low price for a pre-order game, quality must be ****", but PC Gamer and RPS seem to be reasonable happy with it. I'm still not going to preorder despite my hard-on for W40K games, I'm a bit wary of this.

Never played the original, for the record.

Really? That price struck me as about right for a high end boardgame implementation. We're not talking the equivalent in complexity and coder time as Dawn of War here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

It is a perfect 3rd Edition board game conversation, and it is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you can get it here for ~€17.42

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Review here and they utterly slated it: Rock Paper Shotgun

humanji wrote: »

That's not a slating. I think I'd be sitebanned if I used a suitable analogy for what the reviewer did to the game's corpse there.

Actually, how the hell do you screw up an implementation of Space Hulk? Really, it's not a complicated game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

And the worst part is that they're making Jagged Alliance next.

One of the reviews on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/app/242570/discussions/0/864976115148060145/

Admittedly the guy is trolling but...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

humanji wrote: »

Bizarre.

The guy obviously knows and loves the Space Hulk board game, as do I, but seems to have had a completely different experience of the computer game.

He's got a couple of specific complaints, and I think he's really overreacting in a lot of them.

1) He complains that the movements of the terminators are animated, and that they are too slow compared to the board game where he can pick up and move pieces instantly. They're guys in friggin giant mech-like armour, they're supposed to move slowly and clunky. TBH i find that adds to the atmosphere. The genestealers move rapidly, and your marines are slow and cumbersome. Would it be nice to have the option to turn off animations for a speedy game? Yeah, maybe. But he neglects to mention that you can issue move orders to new units without having to wait for the previous unit to finish moving. You can easily plan out your moves then issue move orders to all 5 or 10 marines or whatever in a couple of seconds.

2)He complains about the graphics and camera angles making door difficult to spot? Methinks he needs glasses. The graphics are fine, and the camera is easily adjustable, you can zoom in, out, rotate etc.

3)He's experienced bugs where marines seem to glitch through walls, bolter fire goes screwy or genestealers appear when there's really nothing there. He played 6 hours, I've only played 4 so far, but have experienced none of these, so they can't be that major an issue.

4)His issue with the genestealer blips dispaying the "secret" number in Hotseat games. Yeah, if that's the case, its incredibly dumb. I haven't tried Hotseat.

5)His other issue with multiplayer is that its possible to play asyncronously and this doesn't work well with strangers if you're trying to play in real time because you don't know if they're still there or if it'll be two days before they make their own move. I for one am happy with the asyncronous option.

Not saying his opinions are wrong, just offering an alternative experience after (roughly) the same play time and apparently the same familiarity with the source material.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It's very unforgiving, lost two terminators in one turn after they rolled 1's in combat with Genestealers, and the very next turn I got bolter jams, which screwed me. Even still, I've enjoyed it. I wouldn't pick it over the Dawn of War games, sure, but I've still found it enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Angron wrote: »
    It's very unforgiving, lost two terminators in one turn after they rolled 1's in combat with Genestealers, and the very next turn I got bolter jams, which screwed me. Even still, I've enjoyed it. I wouldn't pick it over the Dawn of War games, sure, but I've still found it enjoyable.
    I have played all the dawn of war games and love them.
    Might wait and get this at a reduced price later in the year. I am not familiar with the board games etc, but really enjoy the whole universe and mythology behind warhammer 40k

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, Dawn of War Dark Crusade was the first 40k game I played, that got me into the background of the series, and I've loved it ever since.

A WTF is is out:

TL:DR: Implements both the good and bad sides of the boardgame. Production values are nowhere near where they should be for this price. Errors and bugs are prevalent (game crashes at the end of the video). Animation and other features are either poorly thought out or poorly implemented. Very uneven production values, some things are really well done, others really not.

Advice: Avoid. Wait for bugfixes and a price drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

nesf wrote: »
    Advice: Avoid. Wait for bugfixes and a price drop.

I'll second that, it's a broken mess. Woeful animations & voice acting. Not to mention it's so poorly optimized it's completely unplayable unless you have a seriously high end machine. Avoid at all costs unless it gets violently patched and goes into a steam sale for under a fiver.

If you want to play a good space hulk game go dig up vengeance of the blood angels for psx/3do.

Such a shame, what a complete waste of fantastic source material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I played the original Space Hulk on PC, it was brilliant, how did they screw it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm enjoying it so far but I wish Relic would make a new 40k game. DoW was great and I love space marine.

Who owns the 40k license now that THQ is gone?

• Advertisement

I'm enjoying it so far but I wish Relic would make a new 40k game. DoW was great and I love space marine.

Who owns the 40k license now that THQ is gone?

I think Relic still has the 40k one for RTS games. GW could have withdrawn it after the sale to Sega but decided not to or something.

So, eh, it's more complicated than that. It does sound/look like Relic is making DoW III right now. It does not seem clear at all that Sega have the 40k licence or the ability to make any other kind of 40k game. Slitherine are making a turn based 40k game (good choice, they're pretty well respected in the TBS community) and Creative Assembly are doing a Total War esque Warhammer Fantasy game.

It seems a bit of a mess but it does seem we're going to get DoW III and that Relic will be behind it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd only really be interested in DoW III if they go back to bases; I was not overly happy with DoW II because of this (and I know I was not the only one).

Nody wrote: »
    I'd only really be interested in DoW III if they go back to bases; I was not overly happy with DoW II because of this (and I know I was not the only one).

Yeah there's seems to be quite a division between "go back to RTS roots" and "innovate damn it!" people in the DoW scene. I think by the time of Retribution DoW II did look a lot better as a game.

If Relic does have the 40k licence still, and seeing as they are owned by Sega, I'd be pretty hopeful Sega wouldn't screw things up. I mean, they have Creative Assembly, and they didn't screw up Total War.

I actually looked it up on google, to see who owns the 40k licence for video games, and google tried to auto-complete it to "Who owns the moon".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Prepurchased it at the behest of a few mates for coop last week, only had a few hours today to put my teeth into it and all things being equal I'm enjoying it so far. About the only real qualm I have is that it's not, IMO, worth the asking price (€17-€20 maybe).

Advertisement