Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Degree

Options
  • 11-12-2012 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if it possible to return to college and do a second degree at the same level(8) and still quaify for free fees? I got my fees and a grant while doing my first degree. I think I read somewhere that if the degree was obtained more than 5 years ago you will qualify, but maybe that has changed?
    Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

The 5 year rule applies to 'second chance fees' when fees will be paid if you have been out of education for 5 years plus, however you cannot get them if you already have a degree. Info here

So far as I know, the only way you can get fees paid is if you pay for them, unless someone else here knows of a grant that will do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Hi Orchids

Unfortunately you won't be able to claim free fees or grants again as you already have a undergraduate degree.

If you study another degree part time you can claim tax relief on quite alot of the course cost. I think it MAY apply to Full Time courses also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Not what I was hoping to hear but thanks for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Maldesu wrote: »
    The 5 year rule applies to 'second chance fees' when fees will be paid if you have been out of education for 5 years plus, however you cannot get them if you already have a degree. Info here

So far as I know, the only way you can get fees paid is if you pay for them, unless someone else here knows of a grant that will do it for you.

Hi, I wonder could someone give me some info on the fees for full time courses. I did a diploma in Engineering in 2003. I have been out of work for two years, I do voluntary work in care, and I want to go back and do an undergraduate Degree in Occupational Therapy. Would I be entitled to free fees or would I have to pay the full amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

bri007 wrote: »
    Hi, I wonder could someone give me some info on the fees for full time courses. I did a diploma in Engineering in 2003. I have been out of work for two years, I do voluntary work in care, and I want to go back and do an undergraduate Degree in Occupational Therapy. Would I be entitled to free fees or would I have to pay the full amount?

If your Engineering course was 2/3 years then you may not be eligible for free fees for the first 2/3 years of any further third level course that you do. You would be elgible for free fess for the final year of the degree.
    Tuition fees will not be paid in respect of:
    1. students pursuing a second undergraduate course.
    2. students who already hold a postgraduate qualification
    Notwithstanding this condition and subject to compliance with the other conditions of the Free Fees initiative, students who already hold a Level 6 qualification (Higher Certificate or National Certificate) or a Level 7 qualification (Ordinary Bachelor Degree or National Diploma) and are progressing to a Level 8 (Honours Bachelor Degree) course without necessarily having received an exemption from the normal duration of the course may be deemed eligible for free fees,

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9377/course-fees/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

paperclip2 wrote: »
    If your Engineering course was 2/3 years then you may not be eligible for free fees for the first 2/3 years of any further third level course that you do. You would be elgible for free fess for the final year of the degree.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9377/course-fees/index.html

Thanks for getting back to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Beryl Walsh

Hi,

I am looking for some information on doing a second degree. I have my first one that I did part time in the evenings over 3 years. I paid the registration fees of €2,000 per year. If I was starting a second one but full time would I get help with the fees etc or not?? I'm clueless so any help would be great and information about costs of the second degree if I had to pay.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

You'll have to pay fees for a second degree, regardless if your first degree was paid by free fees or not.

It's best contacting the fees or admissions office in the college you are thinking of studying in to get the full cost of fees. Some of the college websites display the fees also.

Advertisement