Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gordon Taylor (PFA CEO) calls for protective netting in stadiums.

• 11-12-2012 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/dec/10/pfa-protective-netting-rio-ferdinand
    He said: "It could have been a career-threatening injury if it had caught Rio's eye. There are certain areas that are more vulnerable than others – at corners, behind the goals and behind the dugout where substitutions are made. It's an option to consider. You wonder if there is a copycat reaction and that's obviously not good for players or referees.

"It's the job of the PFA to safeguard the players. If we ignore this problem we ignore it at our peril. It's trying to keep a check on a pattern. People may think there are sufficient sanctions in place but if that had been a bad injury to Rio I don't think anything could have condoned that.

"You wouldn't want anything to restrict the view and of course we aren't talking about fences, after Hillsborough. You've got to look at technology and see if there can be a way of protection without restricting the view. Safety of players and safety of fans is key."

Personally I think it's a retrograde step and really bad idea, only bowing to a couple of numpty trouble makers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Just ban celebrating in front of opposition fans

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Prop Joe wrote: »

What happens if an away team scores the opposite end to their fans? Do they have to run the whole pitch to celebrate?

I'd rather just do a "Three Strikes" type of thing. Don't force a team to put them up when there's one incident, but if there's repeated occurance, they have to put the nets up for a set time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Doesn't mean a player can't still get hit as seen by the Rio incident at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Shouldn't be a problem. The worst we should be saying about a player like that is calling him a prick or whatever, not accusing him of inciting a riot. It's a sad world when that becomes the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

What happens if an away team scores the opposite end to their fans? Do they have to run the whole pitch to celebrate?

I'd rather just do a "Three Strikes" type of thing. Don't force a team to put them up when there's one incident, but if there's repeated occurance, they have to put the nets up for a set time.

I think in fairness Rio should not have tried to wind up the city fans,That could possibly of caused a riot.

Players can't act all shocked when trouble flairs in the stands if they entice it,Especially with the history that the English fans have of hooliganism.

I don't get why you would want to celebrate facing the opposition support,Celebrate in front of your own fans or in the middle of the pitch

Regardless it would'nt solve the issue of idiots at football games.

I like your idea of 3 strikes though,But maybe forcing teams to play behind closed doors is the only way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The game is turning into a ****ing embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Footballs problem is there is too many dopes in power with too many opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Paully D wrote: »
    The game is turning into a ****ing embarrassment.
    Footballs problem is there is too many dopes in power with too many opinions.

Problem and cause right there ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Gordon Taylor will say anything to keep him self on the telly or in the press. Fast becoming an irrelevance and knows his days are numbered. Clarke Carlisle to be new CEO within a couple of years I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I think in fairness Rio should not have tried to wind up the city fans,That could possibly of caused a riot.

Players can't act all shocked when trouble flairs in the stands if they entice it,Especially with the history that the English fans have of hooliganism.

I don't get why you would want to celebrate facing the opposition support,Celebrate in front of your own fans or in the middle of the pitch

Regardless it would'nt solve the issue of idiots at football games.

I like your idea of 3 strikes though,But maybe forcing teams to play behind closed doors is the only way

Considering ferdinand was celebrating in front of his own supporters, are you saying players shouldn't celebrate on away grounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Should they make sure that players only take corners in front of their own fans too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Protective hair netting maybe ........

Advertisement