Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing, so much demand but so little supply!!

Options
  • 11-12-2012 9:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

This is getting infuriating, I've been looking for months for shared accommodation in D2/4/6/8 etc. But there is so much demand that when I eventually come across somewhere that's not a complete kip, I'm in competition with 50 other people for the damn place!!

Just today I came across somewhere that looks decent, and the guy had to take the ad down after a couple of hours because of the sheer volume of enquiries.

What's the story like?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

This is getting infuriating, I've been looking for months for shared accommodation in D2/4/6/8 etc. But there is so much demand that when I eventually come across somewhere that's not a complete kip, I'm in competition with 50 other people for the damn place!!

Just today I came across somewhere that looks decent, and the guy had to take the ad down after a couple of hours because of the sheer volume of enquiries.

What's the story like?!

There is a genuine shortage in central Dublin. People were putting it down to students returning etc but if its still going on now its more than that. I think more people are migrating from other parts of the country to dublin for work. Nama really should be releasing more of the apartments they have!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It is a renters market! Maybe people just don't want to share with you. There are a lot of objectionable people seeking to share accommodation. They exhibit one or more of the following qualities messy, moody, and mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Why don't you put an ad out to find some people to share with and then rent a place yourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jo King wrote: »
    It is a renters market!
    It is in terms of actual vacant properties, but that in turn can reduce the volume of sharing properties available because most people will be willing to stretch to a little extra rent if it means that they don't have to share a property.

It's a side-effect of lower rents that individual occupancy goes up so the availability of shared accomodation drops.

If you're willing to look outside the immediate city centre it should be possible to find a number of owner-occupied places looking to share as people try to get some cash in to help with the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

It is a renters market!

That all depends on what area you're talking about. It certainly isn't in some places in Dublin. We're moving out of our place, and there's a queue of people lined up to take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Why only the southside?
    It always surprises me that somebody comes to Dublin and only look at the southside of the city.
    People think it is much more dangerous north of the city. South Dublin has a lot of dodgy areas that people will rent in before looking north that has nice areas too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Why only the southside?
    It always surprises me that somebody comes to Dublin and only look at the southside of the city.
    People think it is much more dangerous north of the city. South Dublin has a lot of dodgy areas that people will rent in before looking north that has nice areas too.

Because I work on the south side, and the reason I'm moving is so I don't have a long commute to work. Preferably I would like to be within walking distance. But for your information I'm interested in Dublin 1 & 3 also. Although for some reason there doesn't appear to be a whole lot in D1 besides shared bedrooms! And while I'm interested in D3 it, to me, looks like a fairy dodgy walk to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

It is a renters market! Maybe people just don't want to share with you. There are a lot of objectionable people seeking to share accommodation. They exhibit one or more of the following qualities messy, moody, and mean.
    It's not a renters Market in cities currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Because I work on the south side, and the reason I'm moving is so I don't have a long commute to work. Preferably I would like to be within walking distance. But for your information I'm interested in Dublin 1 & 3 also. Although for some reason there doesn't appear to be a whole lot in D1 besides shared bedrooms! And while I'm interested in D3 it, to me, looks like a fairy dodgy walk to work.
    Well excuse me for going by what you posted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Well excuse me for going by what you posted.

You're excused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

What's the story like?!

Supply and demand.

If there is suitable unrented accomodation available like a 2 or three bed, would you be able to carry the rent and deposit on your own for a month?
    If so, and demand for shared accomodation in those areas is as high as you indicate, then you could rent an entire house yourself and should have no trouble attracting flat mates in a short amount of time (this your could agree in advance witih the landlord).
    What's even better, and worth the inital out lay in my opinion is the fact that you get to be the person choosing from 50 potential flatmates and not the other way around, you can thus choose people that it suits you to live with.
    By the sounds of it, you will either have to do that or look at other areas.

Advertisement