Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nymph Fishing For Trout.

Options
  • 11-12-2012 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Anybody here do some nymph fishing for trout.I am looking for methods and nymphs to use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 steel header

I do a lot of it. Its a great way to catch fish especially in rivers. There are many different methods. I would suggest "indi" style if your a beginner. That's using a strike indicator to detect hits.
    Here is one of my nymph box's...

and the flip side...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭minktrapper

You definately do a lot of it.I need help in tying up leaders and in fishing methods.Fly patterns as well.I am fly fishing for 20 or so yrs.I also have been tying flies for 15 yrs.I have always wanted to do some nymph fishing but never knew the right methods etc..

What type of water are you going to be fishing? Nymphing is most effective is moving water, presented on a DEAD DRIFT.

My leader is usually around the length of my rod. I use 10'... 3 and 4 weight rods. Nymphing is all about feel. I usually fish 2 nymphs at a time about, 18" apart. My favorite nymph at the moment is a "polish pheasant tail" Davie Mc Phail does a great version and you can see him tie it on YouTube. Just google Davie McPhail polish pheasant tail and it will come up. Tie up a few of those and see how you get on. Hare's ears, Prince nymphs, copper johns, and pupa patterns will all catch fish anywhere.

What type of water are you going to be fishing? Nymphing is most effective is moving water, presented on a DEAD DRIFT.

My leader is usually around the length of my rod. I use 10'... 3 and 4 weight rods. Nymphing is all about feel. I usually fish 2 nymphs at a time about, 18" apart. My favorite nymph at the moment is a "polish pheasant tail" Davie Mc Phail does a great version and you can see him tie it on YouTube. Just google Davie McPhail polish pheasant tail and it will come up. Tie up a few of those and see how you get on. Hare's ears, Prince nymphs, copper johns, and pupa patterns will all catch fish anywhere.

I am fishing a wonderful river.What kind of material do you use as a leader.Should I use floating leader or sinking.What sort of depth will I fish them and what method.What is a 3 and 4 weight rod.Do you use a flyline.Will the flies not get caught on the bottom.

• Advertisement

I'm sure the river you fish is "wonderful" what I meant was what type water has it? Fast? Slow? Deep? Shallow? I can suggest a method if I know. What type of fishing do you do now? Just curious!

I'm sure the river you fish is "wonderful" what I meant was what type water has it? Fast? Slow? Deep? Shallow? I can suggest a method if I know. What type of fishing do you do now? Just curious!

All of the above Fast,slow, deep and shallow.It has all types of water.That is why it is a wonderfull river.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 trout fisherman 918

the method i find most affective is up stream nymphing uyou can fish it in all sorts of water aswell i use a leader the length of my rod 4lb tippet and 3 nymphs about 8inches apart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Soft hackle patterns are great. Read a bit about them online to get an idea.
    This one is labelled an emerger but it would work well as a nymph.
    http://vimeo.com/m/29630395

Advertisement