Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else notice this?

• 11-12-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

I've an iPhone 4 running iOS 6.0.1
    When sharing something, say emailing an article from the journal app or a photo, if I select a contact it ALWAYS selects the wrong email or number to send the item too. Especially now that Facebook has integrated and stuck those fake emails into every contact. For one contact I have a number designated as iPhone and with the star beside it but I still have to manually type in the phone number or email to ensure it goes to the right one.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

When sharing something, say emailing an article from the journal app or a photo, if I select a contact it ALWAYS selects the wrong email or number to send the item too. Especially now that Facebook has integrated and stuck those fake emails into every contact. For one contact I have a number designated as iPhone and with the star beside it but I still have to manually type in the phone number or email to ensure it goes to the right one.

i have turned off the facebook contacts options, that way you only get your genuine contact emails/numbers.
    • Contacts
    • Groups
    • Untick "Facebook"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

It should present you with the draft email ready to go on screen. Does it do that ?

Then all you should need to do is tap on the To: field and you should be presented with a scrolling wheel of email addresses that you chose from. The same goes for the From: field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Piliger wrote: »

It should present you with the draft email ready to go on screen. Does it do that ?

Then all you should need to do is tap on the To: field and you should be presented with a scrolling wheel of email addresses that you chose from. The same goes for the From: field.
    Yes, draft email/message appears.
    Tapping on To: field does nothing but bring up keyboard. Tapping blue + brings up contacts but I'm only allowed select a contact, not a specific email/number for that contact.
    Maybe it's specific to the iPhone 4?

Yes, draft email/message appears.
    Tapping on To: field does nothing but bring up keyboard.
    Wrong. It brings up the keyboard AND it adds a Blue (+) to the To: field.

You can add recipients by typing ... and contacts email addresses will appear, or clicking on (+) to chose from contact list
    Tapping blue + brings up contacts but I'm only allowed select a contact, not a specific email/number for that contact.
    Wrong. If the contact has only one email address then that email address will be added. if that contact has more than one, you will be asked to chose.
    Maybe it's specific to the iPhone 4?

Nope.

Wrong. If the contact has only one email address then that email address will be added. if that contact has more than one, you will be asked to chose.
    Well on mine if I use the blue + to add a recipient and select a contact, that contact just appears as a blue bubble like the + No options are given, even if you tap the contacts name. It seems to default to the stupid Facebook email in a contacts file. Same with sending say a photo via SMS. If you select a contact with multiple numbers through the + it doesn't let me choose which number to use.

• Advertisement

Well on mine if I use the blue + to add a recipient and select a contact, that contact just appears as a blue bubble like the + No options are given, even if you tap the contacts name. It seems to default to the stupid Facebook email in a contacts file. Same with sending say a photo via SMS. If you select a contact with multiple numbers through the + it doesn't let me choose which number to use.

It looks to me like your contact is set up in a strange way. Are you saying that this contact has more than one email address but you are not given a choice ? it always adds the facebook one ? Have you double clicked on the blue bubble and chosen the other one ?

It looks to me like your contact is set up in a strange way. Are you saying that this contact has more than one email address but you are not given a choice ? it always adds the facebook one ?
    Yes. I think it's happening for any contact with a Facebook email address in their file. Wether sending something by SMS or email etc. When using the contacts list brought up by tapping the blue +
    Have you double clicked on the blue bubble and chosen the other one ?
    Firstly didn't know double tap was an option other than for zooming (this whole thing is making me feel so so old!) and second nope. No options upon double tap. Only stupid Facebook email.
    Easiest solution is to get rid of the Facebook emails but any other fixes?

Ok ... I went to my iPhone 5 with iOS 6.0.1

I edited a contact for myself in my Contact List (ME). I added two email addresses. Firstly my main email address .. and also my facebook email address.

I chose a photo in my Camera Roll. I created an email to email it. I clicked on the blue(+) and chose ME from my Contact list. Immediately my Contact came on screen with two email addresses to chose from and I could chose either. When I chose one (I tested both) I was sent back to the email with my name in the To: field and the correct email address. I could check this by double taping on the blue bubble and seeing the email I chose in blue on my contact.

I think you have your Contact set up wrong in some way. It is not iOS.

Come back and go over how your Contact is set up with two email addresses ?

The two emails are in since I updated to ios6 and synced it with my Facebook account. It's not just emails though. An SMS will default to the Facebook email instead of phone number. It's as if its set to default to Facebook email, no options are given.
    I've no idea about programming, hardware or IT in general (obviously) but could this be a bug or the start of iOS exceeding the iPhone 4 capabilities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

The exact same thing happens on m iPhone 4. I though it was a problem with the contact but I edited it and set the email as home but when I tried it again the Facebook email defaulted

• Advertisement

The two emails are in since I updated to ios6 and synced it with my Facebook account. It's not just emails though. An SMS will default to the Facebook email instead of phone number. It's as if its set to default to Facebook email, no options are given.
    I've no idea about programming, hardware or IT in general (obviously) but could this be a bug or the start of iOS exceeding the iPhone 4 capabilities?

Well I have offered to go through the contact email content but you don't appear to want to. Your point about defaulting to facebook is ridiculous and your Contacts details clearly wrongly entered or corrupt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Ok ... I went to my iPhone 5 with iOS 6.0.1

I edited a contact for myself in my Contact List (ME). I added two email addresses. Firstly my main email address .. and also my facebook email address.

I chose a photo in my Camera Roll. I created an email to email it. I clicked on the blue(+) and chose ME from my Contact list. Immediately my Contact came on screen with two email addresses to chose from and I could chose either. When I chose one (I tested both) I was sent back to the email with my name in the To: field and the correct email address. I could check this by double taping on the blue bubble and seeing the email I chose in blue on my contact.

I think you have your Contact set up wrong in some way. It is not iOS.

Exactly the same for me on my ipad.

Well I have offered to go through the contact email content but you don't appear to want to. Your point about defaulting to facebook is ridiculous and your Contacts details clearly wrongly entered or corrupt.
    I have given you all the info I have, short of giving you the contact details, which I'm not going to do.
    Again: contacts were working fine. I updated to ios6 and synced my contacts with Facebook. This added a Facebook email to every contact with a Facebook account. Now if I try and send anything, SMS or email to a contact it defaults to the Facebook email and doesn't give any option to select a number or email to use.

Edit: contacts were initially set up by typing them in and worked fine until ios6 and Facebook integration. Each contact still works fine when selected by typing in the individual email or number - but what's the point of having contacts with multiple emails or numbers then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Have you turned off Facebook in your contacts like kceire said? I'm on iPhone 4 6.0.1 and this doesn't happen, never has because iOS is not designed like this, unless you've incorrectly edited or set up your contacts.

Go to settings>Facebook>turn contacts off and see what happens. If you've got all your contacts set up properly there should be no issue.

muff03 wrote: »
    Have you turned off Facebook in your contacts like kceire said? I'm on iPhone 4 6.0.1 and this doesn't happen, never has because iOS is not designed like this, unless you've incorrectly edited or set up your contacts.

Go to settings>Facebook>turn contacts off and see what happens. If you've got all your contacts set up properly there should be no issue.
    Yes turning FB contacts off resolves the issue but what's the point in having it if its just going to create an issue like this?
    I don't see how you can set up contacts incorrectly on an iPhone either, the only option you're given is to type in the number/email and if they work when selected manually then isn't the only other possibility that turning on the Facebook contact option also sets it as a default?

muff03 wrote: »

if they are set up correctly this is not an issue whether on or off. I have facebook contacts on and it does not have this problem. It's not an iOS problem - it's a user problem.

if they are set up correctly this is not an issue whether on or off. I have facebook contacts on and it does not have this problem. It's not an iOS problem - it's a user problem.
    So tell me how exactly they could be set up incorrectly? There are no options. You can only type in name and details. If the details were entered wrong they wouldn't work at all Facebook contacts on or off.

Advertisement