Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cordless drill recommendation please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

It's not bad value for money at the "special offer" price- I wouldn't pay full ticket price for it though as €130 ish would get you a professional rated drill/ driver from Makita or Bosch (maybe not 18 volt, but 12 or 14 volt is adequate for most DIY) if you shopped around. It's worthwhile checking out what offers B & Q have on their cordless tools at the moment also; I've never bought tools from them but have heard they do good offers from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

For 99.98 euro you can get a dewalt 18 volt combi drill in B@Q .I have found dewalt cordless drills to be very good , they can take all kinds of abuse and keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭MadamX

Thanks for the advice.

What about these http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7114542.htm or http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7113457.htm. Looking at these as Argos are grand for exchanging things if he decides he wants something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Dewalt would be my pick. B&Q or mcquillans. Make sure you have min 2 batteries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

For ordinary DIY stuff, I find Ryobi very good.

I have two of their cordless drills, a torch and jigsaw all which use the same batteries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

dewalt from B&Q would be my choice aswell madamx..next monday they have a 20% off offer aswell so you would be getting a good drill at a very good price..check bargain alerts forum about the offer next monday..dewalt will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Final Approach

+1 for the Dewalt. I bought mine for in or around E100 as the previous posters have said from B & Q last year. Really nice piece of kit,

I wouldn't touch Black and Decker any longer. I really liked their tools up until a few years ago, when it became blatantly obvious that the overall quality has reduced significantly.

DeWalt is now what Black and Decker was 20 years ago in terms of quality. And well worth paying the extra few euro for.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

For whats its worth, I'd be gutted if my wife bought any of my tools for me. I think of them very personally. I like to pick them myself and get a propoer feel for the before I spend.

But..... as a recommendation with your budget, a decent set of accessories/bits for a cordless would be a great purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

Nice present idea I would say, unlike harry21 I would be delighted with any form of power or hand tool as a pressie. And it wan't quite the right one I'd keep it and get the one i wanted anywya cause you can never have too many tools!

Anyway, as a cheaper alternative you could give him an IOU for when LIDL next have their parkside one in. I got an 18V parkside with two batteries a bag and a charger that charges a flat battery in an hour or so from there and I have to say for my purposes it is great. Not remotely as fancy and well built as my (carpenter) friends makita but then at a quarter of the price or less what can you expect. I've used it fairly well over the past two years with no issues at all. Still going strong and doing everything I ask of it. Gets called into action most weeks at some stage and for the money is great. I think it was about €40 and it might even have a 3 year warranty!

worth a look anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I have a good few Lidl/Parkside mains powered and cordless power tools and I find them very good indeed.

Got this cross cut sliding mitre saw for 60 euro during the summer.

Fantastic bit of kit indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Another vote for DeWalt. I have gone through so many drills over the years but this one has stood the test of time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I also got a Mac 18V screwgun/drill,2 batteries and carry case in B&Q for 50 euro recently....reduced from 100 euro.

Great bit of kit and I get a dead battery fully charged in under 1 hour.

Also has a built in light too,so when you press the trigger to drill/screw,the area you are working on is illiminated by the light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

In the last 15 years i have bought 2 makitas, a black and decker, a hitachi ,a milwalkee and a dewalt which lasted the longest . A friend of mine who runs a large air conditioning installation company in the uk also swears by them .he bought 10 of them and they all still work 3 years later and are in daily use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭tphase

+1 for the Dewalt. I bought mine for in or around E100 as the previous posters have said from B & Q last year. Really nice piece of kit,

I wouldn't touch Black and Decker any longer. I really liked their tools up until a few years ago, when it became blatantly obvious that the overall quality has reduced significantly.

DeWalt is now what Black and Decker was 20 years ago in terms of quality. And well worth paying the extra few euro for.

Hope this helps.
    +1 on DeWalt. Spend about E150 on a 12V cordless drill in 1999, it took dogs abuse, broke it twice but managed to repair it and probably still works but the batteries are knackered

BTW DeWalt was bought by Black and Decker in 1960 and is now a subsidiary of Stanley Black and Decker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

paddy147 wrote: »
    I have a good few Lidl/Parkside mains powered and cordless power tools and I find them very good indeed.

Got this cross cut sliding mitre saw for 60 euro during the summer.

Fantastic bit of kit indeed.

Paddy, when I saw the first picture I was ready to tease you that it hadn't been out of the box!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

+1 For the Dewalt and as most people are saying "will charge a dead battery in an hour" Dewalt typically charge a battery in 30mins so its ready to go a lot faster. Is aimed at trade use so built to last, I have been using the same one for the past 6 years and its been dropped down stairs and all sorts and still as good as new!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

+1 for the dewalt. Bought it 3 years ago for general DIY and a bit of use in work too. Never let me down, its been used for everything including putting a new roof of the garage. It will drill up to 6mm or so brick/concrete.

+1 for the dewalt. Bought it 3 years ago for general DIY and a bit of use in work too. Never let me down, its been used for everything including putting a new roof of the garage. It will drill up to 6mm or so brick/concrete.

Ive used 10mm conc bits in mine :) but still better to use a dedicated SDS drill if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Get the dewalt. I've got about 4 of them.

They aren't as good as they used to be..but still for the price the best value.

• Advertisement

I havent any experience with that drill personally but I know the drills bosch make that are aimed at trade use are typically blue.

Bnq are currently doing the dewalt for €130 I think with two batteries, im going to pick up one soon as I need new batteries and they work out more expensive to buy separately.

Advertisement