Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another iPhone mugging in Dublin

Options
  • 11-12-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Happened on Nassau st as my gf was getting onto a bus. The heroin addict got on the same time as her and 'bumped' into her, taking her phone and leaving the bus.
    Called the guards but you can't report over the phone and we do not have time to go to the station to report it.

Dublin is a complete dive, I came back after 7 years and the place is ruled by junkies. Everyone in the nice areas turn a blind eye.

Advice to anyone thinking of moving here - it will be the worst mistake you make

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

lima wrote: »
    Happened on Nassau st as my gf was getting onto a bus. The heroin addict got on the same time as her and 'bumped' into her, taking her phone and leaving the bus.
    Called the guards but you can't report over the phone and we do not have time to go to the station to report it.

Dublin is a complete dive, I came back after 7 years and the place is ruled by junkies. Everyone in the nice areas turn a blind eye.

Advice to anyone thinking of moving here - it will be the worst mistake you make

Sorry to hear that. Can you report it tomorrow? It is sad but you have to be really careful where you use your phone in public. It isnt just Dublin its any large city.

Its a bad thing to happen for sure and the junkie issue is in my opinion Dublins biggest issue. That said, its still a great place and it wont be long before your girlfriend sees an act of kindness to restore some kind of faith.

Hope you can replace the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Sorry to hear about the story but jesus, the above is a serious overreaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Jev/N wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the story but jesus, the above is a serious overreaction.

It's a wet grim unhappy hole of a place run by cronies and populated by heroin addicts, with nothing worthwhile to do but drink.

Luckily we are pretty happy people so we get on with it. Wouldn't bring my kids up here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Are you talking about City Center living, or Dublin as a whole?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

It's a wet grim unhappy hole of a place run by cronies and populated by heroin addicts, with nothing worthwhile to do but drink.

There are a litany of people on this forum, including myself, who would and have argued otherwise.

I don't live there at the moment but having moved there from the country and lived for 7 years, I thought it was a great city. I won't bother with the whys and hows of it all as I expect it will fall on deaf ears.

Suffice it to say, the unfortunate incident you mentioned happens in most if not all cities across the world and doesn't make Dublin any less worthwhile to live in than anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

you can get iphone apps now that photograph the thief and report the gps co-ordinates to an email address. not much good to you but for anyone reading and for the future a pretty good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

Sorry your girlfriend was robbed, that must have been upsetting for her. To be fair though if you can't make time to go down to the cop shop to report it there's no point whinging about it on Boards! If you don't report a crime when it happens to you how can you expect anything to be done about it?

I've lived and worked in Dublin for most of my life and I don't think it's much worse than any other European city. I've had phones and wallets robbed before but sh!t happens and it can happen anywhere if you aren't careful with your belongings or become distracted.

You say that people in the "nice areas" turn a blind eye but imo you're mistaken - the reason that these areas stay "nice" is because antisocial behavior isn't tolerated.

Personally I love living here I think that we have a beautiful city and that the vast majority of people are good.

I lived in another country for a time and was never more happy and content as when I returned to Dublin and I think it's a great place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

its a shame phones get stolen, on another note you should leave dublin.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Luckily we are pretty happy people so we get on with it. Wouldn't bring my kids up here though.

lost any credibility with that statement mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Try living in a small county town for a while, then you can really use the excuse that's there's nothing to do apart from drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

agree 100%. its a grim, dark, depressing and hopeless place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

freddiek wrote: »
    agree 100%. its a grim, dark, depressing and hopeless place

god it must be awful for you that this is your perception of Dublin... or are you just trying to be offensive? anyway im glad i dont perceive things as you do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Luckily we are pretty happy people

Non sequitur?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

is there another major city in western europe where junkie trash and the underclass in general are given such free reign to harass the general population?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

emilyjmc wrote: »
    Sorry your girlfriend was robbed, that must have been upsetting for her. To be fair though if you can't make time to go down to the cop shop to report it there's no point whinging about it on Boards! If you don't report a crime when it happens to you how can you expect anything to be done about it?

I've lived and worked in Dublin for most of my life and I don't think it's much worse than any other European city. I've had phones and wallets robbed before but sh!t happens and it can happen anywhere if you aren't careful with your belongings or become distracted.

You say that people in the "nice areas" turn a blind eye but imo you're mistaken - the reason that these areas stay "nice" is because antisocial behavior isn't tolerated.

Personally I love living here I think that we have a beautiful city and that the vast majority of people are good.

I lived in another country for a time and was never more happy and content as when I returned to Dublin and I think it's a great place to live.
    i actually think that anti social behavior is tolerated almost completely in dublin. The OP has a point, there are way too many junkies around with nothing being done about it. i find it hard to go to an ATM without having to step over a junkie and being asked for money while i withdraw some.

also i constantly see scumbags on the street picking fights with easy targets. if they get punished at all it's usually a weak punishment

sure other cities have crime, but most of the major ones i lived in have a very tough stance on anti social behavior and drugs. people actually fear the police and the police act on any wrong doings. i don't find the same attitude here.
    i've walked around some cities in other countries late at night alone and unless you go to a notoriously rough area or you're unlucky, you won't be hassled. Here i can't walk down the street in the city after 11 without having at least one drunken asshole shout something at me or approach me

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

Fair enought EyeSight, you are right that there are issues with begging at ATMs and our laws regarding punishing criminals often seem far too lenient. I do still think that in the "nice" areas where there isn't much antisocial behavior it's because when it does happen it is clamped down on quickly and people don't just put up with it and do/say nothing.

I live and and work in the city centre and have to say rarely see a fight, not saying they don't happen - I just don't seem to see it. Living near Harcourt Street and work just off Talbot Street so I walk right through the city at least once a day most days.

Also I would walk through town after eleven on a regular basis and rarely get any hassle. The odd drunken eejit or creep might make a remark late at night (ok, sometimes during daylight hours too!) but I've experienced that in most cities I've spent time in, I don't think that we are any worse for it.

Signing off now

A happy Dubliner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Dublin is a grand spot. Phones get stolen in every city every day. I'd say Dublin probably one of the safer capital cities. Sure didn't new york have first day without a murder for yonks only recently.

Also Open, how do you know the thief was addicted to heroin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think you'll find junkies have lots better to do than drink, such as doing drugs. That's what makes them junkies after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭highdef

is there another major city in western europe where junkie trash and the underclass in general are given such free reign to harass the general population?

Completely agree. Dublin city centre has turned into a complete $hithole in the past few years. Junkies wander round off their faces and NOTHING appears to be done about it. They really do rule the roost! I'm sure action is taken from time to time but I'm sure if I decided to become a junkie for the day (and not be recognised as one of "the regulars"), I'd be banged up, charged and convicted pretty quickly for drug possession, dealing, being under the influence of drugs, harrassment and god knows how many other crimes yet those junkies you see wandering around every day are rarely "bothered" by the law because the people who our taxes pay to protect us cannot be arsed to do anything....not because they do not want to but because they know that they are basically powerless to do anything that will stop this scourge to our society and as a result their own confidence is hindered. They know that arresting any of these scum (yes I know some will disagree with this description but from the few dealings I have had with them, I see this term as being quite apt and fair) will amount to them being in the cell for the night at most and they'll be back "earning" their wage for their fix the following morning.

OP, I agree, the city has gone to the dogs. Dublin is a beautiful city. If I were a tourist visiting, I would most definitely state that the junkies are the most off-putting thing when touring the city by foot. I know other western cities have similar issues but many others do not so I'm sure it's not an unfathomable thing to suggest that we can try curb this horrible wart on our capital city. Such widespread junkies is a relatively recent thing and it could be sorted. The cost of making our streets clear of what is very much an extreme minority must be many many times less than the loss of money from tourism due to non-returning tourists and tourists who have advised their friends (and their friends....and their friends, and so on, so forth) not to travel to Dublin (and probably Ireland in general) because of the unpleasantness of being approached by junkies off their faces....this being the most optimistic of situations when encountering a junkie!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

London,Glasgow,Edinburgh,most major UK cities,paris to some extent,cologne,madrid,barcelona will i continue?

• Advertisement

pmcmahon wrote: »
    London,Glasgow,Edinburgh,most major UK cities,paris to some extent,cologne,madrid,barcelona will i continue?

We appear to be turning into another one those cities in your list.....or should I say we have turned into another one of those cities. Other major cities in Europe suffer to a much much lesser effect. With a bit of political "oomph", we can join those much more pleasant cities :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Some lovely generalisations here. Yes, Dublin has problems with Heroin, thieves etc, but show me a capital city anywhere in Europe that doesnt have similar problems. OP theres no point moaning about something happening if youre not willing to report it, it takes about 5 minutes and you can do it in any Garda station.

Theres nowhere in Ireland I'd rather live than Dublin. It's a shame you had a bad experience, but Dublin has a lot going for it. Nice Restaurants/Bars, some great museums and Galleries, great guided tours and some brilliant visitor attractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Interesting that your username is "lima". The biggest shíthole in south america!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

You can't tar the whole of Dublin with the same Brush. Every city has a couple of undesirables.

MarkMc wrote: »
    Some lovely generalisations here. Yes, Dublin has problems with Heroin, thieves etc, but show me a capital city anywhere in Europe that doesnt have similar problems. OP theres no point moaning about something happening if youre not willing to report it, it takes about 5 minutes and you can do it in any Garda station.

Theres nowhere in Ireland I'd rather live than Dublin. It's a shame you had a bad experience, but Dublin has a lot going for it. Nice Restaurants/Bars, some great museums and Galleries, great guided tours and some brilliant visitor attractions.

Completely agree, there really is so much to do and see in Dublin and to do everything would take at least a week. The actual nice stuff is there, it's just those people stealing/mugging/harassing/begging to feed their habit that are ruining the experience for many, not just tourists. As I have mentioned, Dublin really is an amazing city with so much culture and history. It's just a shame that such a tiny amount of people are making the city so less desirable. My parents are from Dominick Street and Dorset Street on Dublins inner city northside, as are their parents so I would consider myself a true Dub so I'm not just some typical jackeen giving bad light to our city. I love Dublin but this issue is my main qualm.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

I love dublin but like any major city in the world you always need to keep your wits about you. This incident could have happened anywhere.

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    Are you talking about City Center living, or Dublin as a whole?

City Centre living is what I'm talking about here

emilyjmc wrote: »

I've lived and worked in Dublin for most of my life

You are then blissfully unaware that this carry-on happens more often in Dublin that many other places.

Piriz wrote: »
    its a shame phones get stolen, on another note you should leave dublin.

I would but I am earning quite a lot of money here in a good job. It was the only thing that made me come back. I will leave again once I decide to have kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You are then blissfully unaware that this carry-on happens more often in Dublin that many other places.

Id love to see your stats, because frankly your talking through your arse with that statement.

My mate had is phone stolen on Sopot in Poland a supposedly affluent area of the country. We phoned it and phoned it and eventually someone picked up. Ended up handing over 25 Euro to a polish junkie outside a KFC restaurant. Does the experience colour poland for me ?

No it doesnt id go back in a heartbeat.

Il tell you why, im not an idiot and i realise this sort of thing goes on the world over..

Roll eyes...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement