Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another iPhone mugging in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Ben D Bus wrote: »

I lived abroad for 7 years, didn't buy a house. Have significant savings.

My other half is not Irish.

Happy.

listermint wrote: »
    Id love to see your stats, because frankly your talking through your arse with that statement.

My mate had is phone stolen on Sopot in Poland a supposedly affluent area of the country. We phoned it and phoned it and eventually someone picked up. Ended up handing over 25 Euro to a polish junkie outside a KFC restaurant. Does the experience colour poland for me ?

No it doesnt id go back in a heartbeat.

Il tell you why, im not an idiot and i realise this sort of thing goes on the world over..

Roll eyes...

Of course there are places worse than Dublin. But out of all the cities I have lived in it is the most unsafe in regards to heroin addicts roaming the main city thoroughfare.

Plus people seem to still have some sort of celtic tiger era reasoning that Dublin is actually a nice place, I'm just posting on here so that people who are thinking of visiting the place can see both sides of the coin.

budgemook wrote: »
    Dublin is a grand spot. Phones get stolen in every city every day. I'd say Dublin probably one of the safer capital cities. Sure didn't new york have first day without a murder for yonks only recently.

Also Open, how do you know the thief was addicted to heroin?

Blissfully unaware..

Heroin addicts routinely mugging women (easy targets) in the main streets of the city is not something that you come across every day in other capital European cities. I travel regularly (can PM you a list as want to keep my ID on the downlow) and nothing comes near to seeing junkies on o'connell st puking and smoking heroin on the strees and dealing benzo's in public with the guards doing nothing.

Seriously, the people sticking up for the place either live in nice areas or came from even ****tier holes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

pmcmahon wrote: »
    London,Glasgow,Edinburgh,most major UK cities,paris to some extent,cologne,madrid,barcelona will i continue?

Yes, but do they give their drug addicts free disability passes that enable them to move around their cities terrorising law-abiding citizens?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

lima wrote: »
    Blissfully unaware..

Heroin addicts routinely mugging women (easy targets) in the main streets of the city is not something that you come across every day in other capital European cities. I travel regularly (can PM you a list as want to keep my ID on the downlow) and nothing comes near to seeing junkies on o'connell st puking and smoking heroin on the strees and dealing benzo's in public with the guards doing nothing

Routinely? I have never seen it and work and spend until midnight in the heart of the city centre and get everywhere on Dublin Bus and my bus home is also served by the 27, 77A and 40. What parts of the city can I see this routinely happen so I can plan the next journey?

This thread needs to be re-read after this topic:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056804840

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Blissfully unaware..

Heroin addicts routinely mugging women (easy targets) in the main streets of the city is not something that you come across every day in other capital European cities. I travel regularly (can PM you a list as want to keep my ID on the downlow) and nothing comes near to seeing junkies on o'connell st puking and smoking heroin on the strees and dealing benzo's in public with the guards doing nothing.

Seriously, the people sticking up for the place either live in nice areas or came from even ****tier holes!

Lol...

dfx- wrote: »

Routinely? I have never seen it and work and spend until midnight in the heart of the city centre and get everywhere on Dublin Bus and my bus home is also served by the 27, 77A and 40. What parts of the city can I see this routinely happen so I can plan the next journey?

This thread needs to be re-read after this topic:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056804840

Happened last night on Nassau St as she was getting on the 15a, a junkie must have been watching her text me and as she put phone in her pocket and got on bus he came onto bus and bumped into her and went to put change into machine only to pretend he didn't have enough change and got off.. bam - phone gone.

Also happened by brother in north strand

Also happened a mate on Mary St

Also happened her friend waiting for the Luas.

Also I was in the Ben Dunne gym on Jervis st 6 months ago and saw a woman chasing a little knacker down the road with her phone in his hand.

Lol...

Kiss x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

freddiek wrote: »
    is there another major city in western europe where junkie trash and the underclass in general are given such free reign to harass the general population?
    london and amsterdam come to mind.Lived in both and strangely enough the same type of sh1te goes on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Happened last night on Nassau St as she was getting on the 15a, a junkie must have been watching her text me and as she put phone in her pocket and got on bus he came onto bus and bumped into her and went to put change into machine only to pretend he didn't have enough change and got off.. bam - phone gone.

On a weekday, Dublin Bus says it carries 400,000 passengers on 1,000 buses at 5,000 stops. If it is routine, it should happen more often than that surely. Someone who uses the bus frequently as I do to get around the city (possibly 4-5 times a day, or more) should see this everywhere..

Then add the car journeys, people who live/shop in the city centre, especially at a busy time like Christmas - there is going to be 100, maybe 200 occurrences naturally. It's not routine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Also I was in the Ben Dunne gym on Jervis st 6 months ago and saw a woman chasing a little knacker down the road with her phone in his hand.

How do you know she wasn't trying to mug him? The hunted becomes the huntress. Poor little knackers have no chance with this attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

There are two issues here.

1) Statistically Dublin is pretty safe and has small enough pick-pocketting.
    2) The perception is much worse. O'Connell st will always seem more violent than the Champs Elysee, or Oxford st because the Junkies are taking it over. There is always an incident along that street, always some hollering or yelling, somebody shouting "leave it ouh". Then Talbot st. God almighty. Like the Zombie apocalypse some times.

Put the cops on the corner there, and on all the city streets.

rgmmg wrote: »

How do you know she wasn't trying to mug him? The hunted becomes the huntress. Poor little knackers have no chance with this attitude.

What a stupid thing to think!!

A women in business attire desperate to get her expensive smart device back from a teenaged boy. Hmm.

What a stupid thing to think!!

A women in business attire desperate to get her expensive smart device back from a teenaged boy. Hmm.

Hmm. Did I actually think it? What a stupid thing to think! :pac:

dfx- wrote: »

On a weekday, Dublin Bus says it carries 400,000 passengers on 1,000 buses at 5,000 stops. If it is routine, it should happen more often than that surely. Someone who uses the bus frequently as I do to get around the city (possibly 4-5 times a day, or more) should see this everywhere..

Then add the car journeys, people who live/shop in the city centre, especially at a busy time like Christmas - there is going to be 100, maybe 200 occurrences naturally. It's not routine.

iPhone's are routinely getting stolen in the city centre, it is well known that organised criminals are getting youths and junkies I steal them for money. It is routine, and happens more often than other cities, for example London, where I lived for 6 years when I never had to grip my phone with both hands on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It wasn't a mugging incidentally. It was a pick-pocketing.

rgmmg wrote: »

Hmm. Did I actually think it? What a stupid thing to think! :pac:

You must have if you asked, else somebody asked you to say it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

How long ago did you live in London? Genuinely not nit picking, but, like you; I travel a lot with work too, and see it everywhere!

iPhone's are routinely getting stolen in the city centre, it is well known that organised criminals are getting youths and junkies I steal them for money. It is routine, and happens more often than other cities, for example London, where I lived for 6 years when I never had to grip my phone with both hands on the street.

Source? Stats?

It wasn't a mugging incidentally. It was a pick-pocketing.

Kind of. He stared at her and put so much fear into her that she froze. She couldn't snap out of it until he had gone and the bus driver asked her did something just happen as she was white with fear. He knew what he was doing.

• Advertisement

Source? Stats?

http://www.herald.ie/news/it-takes-just-20-minutes-for-criminals-to-fence-your-stolen-iphone-3086171.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/0913/1224304027604.html

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/23545-gardai-to-crack-down-on-iph

Plus my experience and the four below:

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    How long ago did you live in London? Genuinely not nit picking, but, like you; I travel a lot with work too, and see it everywhere!

up until July 2011. You'd hear the odd story in a city of 7million but nothing like the frequency of mention in Dublin

Ok in fairness it probably happens more in London:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/iphone-muggers-on-bikes-plague-london-8323324.html

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/iphones-laptops-and-mp3-players-top-the-muggers-wish-list-8300248.html

However, the simple fact is that we only have one city centre and it is extremely risky to use a phone in public without it being stolen by someone who is more than likely doing it to fund a heroin addiction.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If you recall years ago how American Tourist where always seen as easy targets to rob/pickpocket as they would have their expensive camera around their neck, the bum-bag/fanny-pack around their waist, and a large map in front of their face. Basically parading their valuables making themselves a target.

This is essentially what people are doing nowadays by brandishing their expensive smart phones constantly and not taking care of their surroundings.

To the OP - I am not saying that your other half was waving the phone around with a big neon sign saying 'rob me'. But you say that she sent you an sms before boarding the bus. This to me sounds like she was stationary at a bus stop with her phone in hand on public display, making herself a target. A target probably among about 10 other people doing the same thing as is the norm at bus stops. It was probably unfortunate that your other half was the victim but she didn't help herself.

I wasn't there so I don't know the full events, I am basing my assessment on what you have written and my own observations of everyday use of smartphones.

Ok in fairness it probably happens more in London:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/iphone-muggers-on-bikes-plague-london-8323324.html

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/iphones-laptops-and-mp3-players-top-the-muggers-wish-list-8300248.html

However, the simple fact is that we only have one city centre and it is extremely risky to use a phone in public without it being stolen by someone who is more than likely doing it to fund a heroin addiction.

Eh, first you say it's Dublin centric, then you revise your statement and say London actuallly has more problems, then you make a general comment about how use of mobile phones in city centres is dangerous. So, in summary, you're just urging people to be cautious when using their smartphones in a city centre as junkies will use them to fund their addictions, irrespective of where that city is? Thanks for the tip. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If it's so routine why did your partner leave her phone in her pocket where it could easily be robbed.

I'm delighted you'll be leaving when you breed as your children would obviously grow up with an irrational and illogical view of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

To be fair to the OP, there is an issue with iPhone theft. It happened to me recently when I was jumped from behind and my phone ripped from my hand whilst I was on a call. The gardai confirmed that it is a major problem for them at the moment but said that the best advice that they could give was to fit the "where's my iPhone" app to the phones. They have recovered phones using this app.

I would suggest however to the OP that he could have used less emotive language and less generalisation. Dublin does have problems, but so do most other major cities. I do think that the location of the methadone clinics in the city centre does lead to the drug problem being more visible than elsewhere perhaps, but to suggest that other cities don't have similar problems is myopic at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Kind of. He stared at her and put so much fear into her that she froze. She couldn't snap out of it until he had gone and the bus driver asked her did something just happen as she was white with fear. He knew what he was doing.

so did he hypnotise her ? ...or pick pocket her ...or mug her ... your story is changing a little.

first he bumped into her, then her was pretending he didn't have enough change for the machine ...now he simply stared at her and it was gone !!

have you ever thought it could have been a distraction crime ... while she was focussed on him (ie watching him...staring at him) ... another person swiped the phone !!

As regards crime in this City... yes, its horrible, yes it appears like criminals are getting away with it ..but who do you blame??

- the Gardai cant catch them all unless people REPORT crimes so they know where and what the accused look like and operate.

- the judges are reluctant to give custodial sentences because they know there isn't enough space for house them all.

- ordinary citizens are afraid to intervene because they could get injured themselves (plenty of cases where this has happened)

people need to take responsibility for themselves ... who else can you GF/Partner blame.... herself !! did she take proper measures to ensure her personal items were not on display to attract a criminal/thief ? did she put the items in a locked bag or zipped up pocket to deter a potential criminal ? Did she flaunt the expensive phone (i.e. texting) in public in front of people who may not be able to afford one (ie. showing off) ??

Personally I'd like a sterilisation programme for those with multiple convictions (recidivist criminals) - stop them reproducing and you'll reduce the crime rates in 15-20yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

It's a wet grim unhappy hole of a place run by cronies and populated by heroin addicts, with nothing worthwhile to do but drink.
    Going through some of your previous posts, you seem to do nothing but moan about Dublin. 'Junkies this and junkies that. It's terrible. Have a job here. will be out in a second when I've a family. I hate it, hate it, hate it. I hate Dublin, it's full of scum'. Change the record for christ's sake. You don't like it fine, no need to start a new thread about it every time something shít happens to you, labelling the entire county negatively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

On my first day in Chicago a junkie threatened to shoot me.

Three years ago my parents were forced off a motorway in Barcelona and their wallets and phones were stolen from the car.

I've been approached and hassled by junkies in Amsterdam, Ghent, Pavia and London to name a few.

Yes Dublin does have a problem with street crime, the Gardai need more resources to tackle it but that won't happen any time soon. In the meantime all anyone can do is remain vigilant and keep a hand on your phone if someone gets too close to you. This is the same in all cities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement