Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog got violated!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Same as, my boy woke up afterwards and the first thing he tried to do was run to the door to meet the postman, didn't take a fidge out of him. I did work experience as a vet nurse and have seen the surgery - nothing horrific about it! Seen a vet do it in 5 minutes, the most detailed and careful part of the surgery was shaving his cahonies beforehand :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Pal wrote: »
    we just got a pup and my wife wants him neutered. The vet described the procedure to me. sounds horrific. Am I being cruel to go ahead and do this ? genuine question. Feels cruel to me. I do understand the dog overpopulation problem that my city has.

What type of dog is it? If it's a large breed dog, I'd wait until he was grown before I'd consider it- depending of course if you can confine your dog safely at all times ( my garden is walled, my own dog goes nowhere unless I or the OH are with him).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Hi Pal. It isn't cruel at all. We got our guy done and the only cruel thing was seeing his big brown eyes staring up at us everytime we put the cone of shame on him! We knew it was for his own good though :D

As he is only a pup I would strongely suggest waiting until he is over the age of 5 months before getting him neutered. I know from other posts you just have him so he might be a bit on the young side yet.

Waiting longer than that you run the risk of developing 'humping' habits which tend to stay even after the bits are gone! He might also be a tad more on the aggressive side as well if you wait a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Pal wrote: »
    we just got a pup and my wife wants him neutered. The vet described the procedure to me. sounds horrific. Am I being cruel to go ahead and do this ? genuine question. Feels cruel to me. I do understand the dog overpopulation problem that my city has.

It only sounds horrific to you because you have the capacity to understand it, the dog doesn't. Hell, an appendectomy sounds horrific, but you'd have it done if necessary.

Remember that the dog will be anaesthatised while it happens. When he wakes up all he'll know is that he's a bit sore. He won't be wondering where his testicles are gone, he doesn't even know he has testicles. He certainly won't bemoan the fact that he can't father puppies.

Some of the stories of what dogs have done to get to bitches in heat are unbelievable. I've heard of dogs climbing walls to get out and travelling miles, I've even heard of dogs breaking windows! Then there's the fighting with other entire males, the desire to roam and the associated dangers, and the tendency to hump everything, not to mention the risk of testicular cancer.

So yeah, if protecting your dog from illness, wandering and getting run over, getting injured in fights, and removing the frustration of being around sexy females but never ever being allowed to touch them is cruel, then I guess neutering is cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Thanks. I didn't understand. That's all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

ok well went to get the second injection the next day (i hope she enjoyed her bit of fun cause cost me a few quid!) so its most likely there should be no surprises. The OH came in with me this time, as me and my internet friends obviously didnt know what we where talking about... anyways while waiting to be seen and talking to other dog owners who have had their dogs fixed gave there accounts of why its best to get it done but unbelievably the myth of its good for them to have one litter was still doing the rounds by other dog owners!?!?

so we went in and i have to say you guys are very well informed here, the vet gave all the reasons on why it would be best to get her spayed. He didnt really go down the over population of dogs but mentioned it, he went at the angle of, you clearly love your dog (which she does in all fairness, the dog gets same consideration as our kids! :) ) you will do this for the health benefits and to cut any risks she'll encore during pregnancy and the torment to us and the dog herself which in turn made the OH feel more comfortable that we were helping the dog and doing whats in her best interest.

So all has eneded well although the vet wont do the operation til february, i think because of the injections she recieved... the little JRT is still howling outside our house day and night and now has competition from a yorkshire terrior and are constantly battling each other on my door step for the last few days, who leaves there dogs out alone like this for this length of time unsupervised idk...

Anyways big thank you for all that took the time out to reply and helped me argue my case, we got there in the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

The reason the op won't be done until February is to give the uterus time to settle down again, when a dog is in season, it is very bloody in there, and the vet may miss a bit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

That's brilliant news OP, really wish more dog owners were like you and not like the owners of those dogs who are out all night howling at your door!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭magicherbs

I still believe it's deeply regrettable that people come into ownership of animals and are completely ignorant of the care required to look after them.

Both my pets, a Greyhound and a Westie were spayed. The Greyhound didn't put on any weight, but the Westie did! It was very hard to get her portions right. She had had 2 litters, whether that makes a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

If you leave the dog go in and out of heat she can develop cancer in male dogs cancer is higher then female. dog neutering is a must for male if you are not going to breed.

Advertisement