Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2012/13 Premier League relegation thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Other
    Would be very, very surprised if Newcastle or West Ham went down. Sunderland too I imagine are safe (they have some handy home games that will give them the 2 or 3 wins they need). Fulham and Norwich who were both dark horses both got wins this weekend to take them to 32 points. They are also safe.

It's probably not going to take a huge total to stay up this year. West Ham are a very good side at home and will easily pick up at least 2 more wins, and a couple of draws needed for safety.

Newcastle after their win against Southampton are safe. They have the quality in their squad now to be finishing in the top half.

I would agree that QPR are close to relegated. It would take a big turnaround.

So probably 2 from Wigan, Reading, Villa and Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Table looking a lot better for us but still won't be comfortable until we can pull further away. On paper we've a good squad. We also had a good squad on paper when we went down that time.

Though there doesn't seem to be any mercenaries on the books this time around and we're all pulling in the same direction. Ben Arfa still to come back too which is massive.

As I say, on paper we've a good squad but a midfield of
    Ben Arfa ---Cabaye --- Tiote --- Gouffran

Sissoko

is a mouth watering prospect.

Other
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Table looking a lot better for us but still won't be comfortable until we can pull further away. On paper we've a good squad. We also had a good squad on paper when we went down that time.

Though there doesn't seem to be any mercenaries on the books this time around and we're all pulling in the same direction. Ben Arfa still to come back too which is massive.

As I say, on paper we've a good squad but a midfield of
    Ben Arfa ---Cabaye --- Tiote --- Gouffran

Sissoko

is a mouth watering prospect.

Newcastle could (and should) finish in the top half this season. Only 3 points from Stoke in 10th. Next season they should build towards a push for European places again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Morzadec wrote: »
    Newcastle could (and should) finish in the top half this season. Only 3 points from Stoke in 10th. Next season they should build towards a push for European places again.

Survival is happy with me for now. Even if we finish 17th, I'll be happy.

Truthfully, we should have gotten these players in the summer but we're starting to get strength in depth... FINALLY!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

QPR win everyone else in the immediate danger zone (30 points) lost or drew (Sunderland)

The next round of games contains a few of those six-pointers or as good as

Norwich City 15 : 00 Southampton
    Queens Park Ra…15 : 00 Sunderland
    Reading 15 : 00 Aston Villa

plus

Newcastle United 15 : 00 Stoke City neither of whom can breath easy yet.

Other
    mike65 wrote: »
    QPR win everyone else in the immediate danger zone (30 points) lost or drew (Sunderland)

The next round of games contains a few of those six-pointers or as good as

Norwich City 15 : 00 Southampton
    Queens Park Ra…15 : 00 Sunderland
    Reading 15 : 00 Aston Villa

plus

Newcastle United 15 : 00 Stoke City neither of whom can breath easy yet.

QPR beating Sunderland would suddenly make things very interesting.

I wouldn't bet against a draw in the Newcastle vs Stoke game - at this stage of the season with the way the table is, both teams will know that they just need to keep the points total ticking over slightly to ensure safety and perhaps won't see a point here as a bad result at all.

Norwich might be thinking the same in their match

Alain Peugeot says he wants to push for top 10 finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Aston Villa
    Alain Peugeot says he wants to push for top 10 finish.

I assume hes talking about next season? :p

2 or 3 games go against them and others around them win they'll be dragged into it, although ultimately, I cant see them going down.

Norwich City 0 - 0 Southampton
    Queens Park Ra…3 - 1 Sunderland
    Reading 1 - 2 Aston Villa

Norwich blow it failing to convert a peno in extra time, for Soton point not that much use but they'll take it
    QPR fightback is on! Sunderland being dragged into this dog fight?
    Massive win for Villa big loss for Reading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

10 (10) Fulham 28 8 9 11 39 44 -5 33
    11 (11) Stoke City 28 7 12 9 26 33 -7 33
    12 (12) West Ham United 28 9 6 13 32 41 -9 33
    13 (13) Norwich City 29 7 12 10 27 45 -18 33
    14 (14) Sunderland 29 7 9 13 32 41 -9 30
    15 (15) Newcastle United 28 8 6 14 38 49 -11 30
    16 (16) Southampton 29 6 10 13 39 51 -12 28
    17 (18) Aston Villa 29 6 9 14 28 54 -26 27
    18 (17) Wigan Athletic 28 6 6 16 33 55 -22 24
    19 (19) Reading 29 5 8 16 35 56 -21 23
    20 (20) Queens Park Rangers 29 4 11 14 24 45 -21 23

Ten points seperating the bottom half of the table, should be a close one this season, qpr might do ot again

QPR have a good run until the final 3 games by which point they might not actually need a win. All speculation of course but I've a horrid feeling 'arry will do it!

Other
    Norwich City 0 - 0 Southampton
    Queens Park Ra…3 - 1 Sunderland
    Reading 1 - 2 Aston Villa

Norwich blow it failing to convert a peno in extra time, for Soton point not that much use but they'll take it
    QPR fightback is on! Sunderland being dragged into this dog fight?
    Massive win for Villa big loss for Reading

A point away for Southampton is nothing to be sniffed at in the slightest, especially considering they are a couple of points outside the relegation zone. They will be delighted with that last minute penalty miss. Could be absolutely crucial come the end of the season.

Sunderland being dragged in?

Yes imo. They still have some winnable fixtures, but we can't rule anything out and they are not many points clear.

This relegation fight has been nowhere near as straightforward as some predicted when this thread was made, and I'd expect some twists and turns yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Other
    Sunderland look to be precariously placed. O'Neill teams have a habit of running out of steam around this time of the season, and they could still do with another couple of wins to get themselves away from the bottom three. If they don't pick them up in the next 3 or 4 games it'll really be squeaky bum time around the Stadium of Light I think

Fascinating weekend at the bottom

(West Ham
    33 currently losing 2-0)
    Newcastle Utd lose---33
    Sunderland draw
    Soton win
    Villa win
    Wigan win
    Reading lose
    QPR loose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Southampton
    Wow, Wigan lucky today! Huge 3 points for them. This the start of their season? Usually happens about this time :D

• Advertisement

Suddenly Norwich have been dragged into the mire! If momentum counts then Soton look to be on their way to safety as do Wigan (of course!), none of the rest bar Villa and West Ham possibly have anything to build on really.

West Ham win
    Soton win
    Stoke City lose
    Norwich City lose----34
    Newcastle Utd lose---33
    Sunderland lose
    Wigan win
    Villa lose
    QPR lose
    Reading lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Reading, QPR unfortunately as I am a supporter since 1992, and out of the rest I think Sunderland look the most likely. In the unlikely event that Di Canio gives them a dead cat bounce I think that Norwich may be in trouble.

Bad loss for Stoke was also a vital win for Villa
    Norwich really needed a win rather than sharing the spoils with Swansea.

More excitement tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wigan
    great win for villa

come on wigan, do the business tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd love it if Stoke got relegated.

• Advertisement

Other
    I'd love it if Stoke got relegated.

Can't see it happening, sadly. Their fixtures are a lot better than Sunderlands, and they only need 4 points in all likelihood - Sunderland, on the other hand, need to find 7 from somewhere

Other
    Stoke a massive 8/1 to go down according to Paddy Power - surely there is massive value there.

They are on awful form at the moment and are right down there. I would certainly agree that Sunderland and Wigan are more likely candidates but 8/1 seems very generous. Also Norwich at 14/1 seems great odds as well.

Maybe I´m underestimating the importance of the few more points they have, but they are both firmly embroiled in the battle and the price doesn´t really reflect that.

Pleased that Southampton are all but safe - a good addition to the Premier League imo

Other
    Stoke a massive 8/1 to go down according to Paddy Power - surely there is massive value there.

They are on awful form at the moment and are right down there. I would certainly agree that Sunderland and Wigan are more likely candidates but 8/1 seems very generous. Also Norwich at 14/1 seems great odds as well.

Maybe I´m underestimating the importance of the few more points they have, but they are both firmly embroiled in the battle and the price doesn´t really reflect that.

Pleased that Southampton are all but safe - a good addition to the Premier League imo

Comparing the fixtures of Stoke and Sunderland respectively, it's almost impossible to see Stoke dropping...

Stoke:
    United (H)
    QPR (A)
    Norwich (H)
    Sunderland (A)
    Spurs (H)
    Southampton (A)

Sunderland:
    Chelsea (A)
    Newcastle (A)
    Everton (H)
    Villa (A)
    Stoke (H)
    Southampton (H)
    Spurs (A)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Southampton
    Huge game tomorrow for Wigan and QPR. Wigan win I think they stay up handy enough with a few points to spare, QPR win and theyre right back in it and would only be 4 from Wigan and 5 from Sunderland in 17th who are away to Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Stoke were atrocious today for what's it worth.

Other
    Huge game tomorrow for Wigan and QPR. Wigan win I think they stay up handy enough with a few points to spare, QPR win and theyre right back in it and would only be 4 from Wigan and 5 from Sunderland in 17th who are away to Chelsea

QPR are gone regardless. A win for them tomorrow would only make the clubs on 33-34 points breathe a bit easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

COYVB wrote: »
    Comparing the fixtures of Stoke and Sunderland respectively, it's almost impossible to see Stoke dropping...

Wigan could also get above Stoke.

Other
    Wigan could also get above Stoke.

Yup, but if Sunderland don't it won't make any difference to Stoke. For Stoke to go down they need every team but 2 who are currently below them to bypass them

Sunderland are, quite easily, the least likely out of the teams below to get the necessary points to do that (excluding the bottom 2)

Other

Stoke:
    United (H)
    QPR (A)
    Norwich (H)
    Sunderland (A)
    Spurs (H)
    Southampton (A)

Sunderland:
    Chelsea (A)
    Newcastle (A)
    Everton (H)
    Villa (A)
    Stoke (H)
    Southampton (H)
    Spurs (A)

I'm not sure I'd agree completely. Stoke have 1 point from their last 6 games.

Of their remaining fixtures the home match against Norwich is the only one they go in as favourites. I'd almost say it's a must-win unless they can be efficient about picking up regular draws in away games or against top opposition at home.

Sunderland meanwhile have really tough fixtures but a fantastic opportunity to potentially get above Stoke with the home match. If Stoke aren't more than 3 or 4 points clear by then, then a win for Sunderland could turn everything around. They follow that up with a match against Southampton at home which they will see as winnable.

These are the two bad-form teams in the Premier League at the moment. It's up to whatever team can turn it around. If Di Canio coming in can kickstart Sunderland into some form and Stoke continue this abysmal run then we could definitely see them going down.

The massive game for Stoke is against Norwich imo. They'll be relying on away points or trying to pick something up against United or Spurs otherwise

Other
    Nah, Stoke's biggest game remaining is against Sunderland. If they win that they'll finish above them

They've got 3 points over Sunderland as it is - a win there would make it 6 - and can you then see Sunderland picking up 6 points PLUS however many more Stoke get for their other games from that fixture list? I can't see sunderland getting any more than 3 tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Looking at the fixtures I don't think it's that unlikely for Stoke to be dragged down. Sunderland vs Stoke will be huge. Hard to predict how Sunderland will do with Di Canio.

Other
    Nah, Stoke's biggest game remaining is against Sunderland. If they win that they'll finish above them

They've got 3 points over Sunderland as it is - a win there would make it 6 - and can you then see Sunderland picking up 6 points PLUS however many more Stoke get for their other games from that fixture list? I can't see sunderland getting any more than 3 tbh

No not at all, but that's easier said than done - Sunderland will be favourites for that match imo. Stoke have usually relied on strong home form. They rarely win away from home. However a point may be enough for them.

But if they are not more than 3 points clear when they have to play Sunderland, then Sunderland will have a fantastic opportunity to overtake them.

Stoke will be looking not to give them that chance, and Pulis will be looking at that Norwich fixture thinking they have to win it. It's their best chance by a mile to get a vital 3 points.

There are 2 main reasons why I think Stoke are more likely to go down than you or the bookies suggest:

1. They are (on current form) the worst team in the league at the moment. Their recent run has been abysmal. Sunderland are the only other relegation-threatened team that have anywhere near a comparable record recently.

2. They have traditionally relied on strong home form to pick up the wins they need. Of their remaining home matches only 1 looks realistically winnable.

Also don't forget Sunderland have a game in hand (albeit against Chelsea away).

To make myself clear, if I had to call it now I'd go for Sunderland. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if Stoke go down, and I expect them to come close.

I don't at all make them the relative longshots at 8/1 that PP have them at.

EDIT: Just checked PP again, they've reigned Stoke in slightly in the last hour, now have them at 13/2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Sunderland
    The Di Canio factor is going to be crucial here. If he can have a similar effect to O'Neill in his early games, Sunderland could well stay up. And if so, Stoke look like the team in most trouble. They've been very poor for months now.And you can tell Pulis is getting desperate when he starts dropping old favourites like Crouch.
    Their home form has been the secret of their success in the Premiership. But they were shocking against Villa today. And home games against United and Spurs still to come. Hard to see them getting many points there either.
    Whichever way it goes I'd say its the end of the Pulis era at Stoke. He's taken that team as far as he can with a very limited style of play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Wigan
    If Stoke get relegated I'm going back on the beer and throwing a week long party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

"Operation Relegate Stoke" is gathering momentum.

excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yup, but if Sunderland don't it won't make any difference to Stoke. For Stoke to go down they need every team but 2 who are currently below them to bypass them

Sunderland are, quite easily, the least likely out of the teams below to get the necessary points to do that (excluding the bottom 2)

Haha yeah sorry. Bit of a brain fart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Massive chance for Wigan to grab 3 points from QPR after Zamora's red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Other
    QPR just gone down to 10 against Wigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wigan
    i really want to see harry & qpr go down, but the comical way they are doing it makes it even more hilarious.

their training sessions must be a constant foot-shooting exercise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Would like Wigan to stay up, dont care who goes :)

Other
    Not sure if Zamora meant any harm but he can have little complaint. Almost took Gomez's head off.

Ref has to give a red.

Probably to final, fatal blow to relegate QPR

Other
    That's Newcastle safe.

5 teams for 1 spot now (unless QPR pull something off with 10 men)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Other
    SlickRic wrote: »
    "Operation Relegate Stoke" is gathering momentum.

excellent.

Unfortunately they've picked the one season where there's only one spot available between many poor teams..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

QPR go 1-0

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Remy scores a super goal to give QPR hope and stunt Wigan's revival.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Great goal that was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Wigan
    some goal... 5th of the season for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Aston Villa
    Wigan have played like they expected the goal to come when QPR went down to 10 men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Other
    YES!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Aston Villa
    Wow. What a free kick! Unbelievable!

• Advertisement
Advertisement