Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2012/13 Premier League relegation thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Other
    Maloney has surely dumped QPR to the championship!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

taarabt ducked out of it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

That goal could have doomed QPR

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

QPR are really terrible, Samba was a crazy signing for the fees involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Other
    That goal could have doomed QPR

They're gone. If they win 4 of the last 6 they still only have 36 points with a terrible goal difference.

Games against Everton, Newcastle, Arsenal, Liverpool.. No chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Southampton
    JPA wrote: »
    He did very well today. Not disagreeing about the fees but they badly needed a defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

eagle eye wrote: »
    He did very well today. Not disagreeing about the fees but they badly needed a defender.

He didn't do too bad today, but I think he is still way off the pace, we both know he can do much better,

He seems to have left his match sharpness in Russia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Southampton--32___-7____37
    West Ham Utd-31___-9____37
    Newcastle Utd-32__-14_ ___36
    Norwich
    32___-19____35
    Stoke City----32___-11____34
    Aston Villa----32___-24____33
    Sunderland--- 32___-11____31
    Wigan
    31____-20____31
    QPR
    32____-23____24
    Reading
    32____-27____23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Would like Wigan to stay up, dont care who goes :)

Wigan staying up and stoke getting relegated would be fantastic. God i hope they get relegated...

Stoke have some tough fixtures.

With any luck they'll go down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Southampton
    Does everyone hate Stoke? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

JPA wrote: »
    He's been garbage so far, looked overweight from day one, shocking carry on from a player earning nearly £100k per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Other
    Hoping we (Wigan) make the game in hand count. Any points against City, Spurs and Arsenal would be welcomed but not expected. Potential wins at home to Swansea and Villa while we could pick up at a win away at either West Brom or West Ham.

Honestly we should have done so much better today, really made the extra man count. Not the biggest fan of McManaman, I'd rather have Di Santo up front for the next few.

Couldn't care less who goes down, as long as it's not us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Aston Villa
    Taraabt is an awful, awful player. Anonymous and sub-par for such long periods of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Other
    Did the BBC Sport results predictor and I have Villa to go down on goal difference.

Obviously this means little, but it does help give an overall indication of how hard some of the teams fixtures are relative to each other and to the points tallies.

Looking at how it's going I would say that certainly 40 points should keep you up.

Norwich have some very winnable fixtures (Reading, Villa and WBA all at home). 2 wins or a win and 2 draws here will take them to 40. I think it's likely that Norwich are okay.

Goal difference could be absolutely crucial as it's so close down there. Villa and Wigan are the worse off in this regard.

Final day of the season Wigan have Villa at home. Stoke have to go to Southampton and Sunderland to Spurs.

Could be an epic final day and it could well be that the relegated team will be the loser of the Villa vs Wigan match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Time for a bump. If Sunderland hold on it's a great result for the neutral. Stoke(if they lose today), Sunderland, and Villa all on 34 points with 33 games played while in relegation zone is Wigan on 31 points with 31 games played.

Villa play - United(A), Sunderland(H), Norwich(A), Chelsea(H), Wigan(A)

Wigan play - Man City(A) West Ham(A), Spurs(A), West Brom(A), Swansea(H), Arsenal (A), villa(H)

Stoke play - United(H), QPR(A), Norwich(H), Sunderland(A), Spurs(H), Southampton(A).

Sunderland play - Everton(H), Villa(A), Stoke(H), Southampton(H), Spurs(A)

The games against each other will be huge. Shaping up to be an excellent run in. Hopefully Wigan can pick up a win against West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Other

Villa play - United(A), Sunderland(H), Norwich(A), Chelsea(H), Wigan(A)

Wigan play - Man City(A) West Ham(A), Spurs(A), West Brom(A), Swansea(H), Arsenal (A), villa(H)

Stoke play - United(H), QPR(A), Norwich(H), Sunderland(A), Spurs(H), Southampton(A).

Sunderland play - Everton(H), Villa(A), Stoke(H), Southampton(H), Spurs(A)

After today I'm hoping we'll now have enough confidence and belief to take what we need from the Stoke and Southampton home games along with maybe a point from one of the Villa and Everton games. Our goal difference is probably worth an extra point too in all honesty.

Stoke are in real trouble for me. It's a shame QPR have given up now as they'll probably roll over and give them at least a point, but anything less than 3 or 4 points from Stoke's next two games and they will be really up against it.

Wigan play a lot of teams with nothing to play for and who will be on the beach so that could work in their favour.

Newcastle should really be safe but with their fixture list (3 away, they've got the joint worst away record in the league with only 1 win and 2 home, Arsenal and Liverpool) they might just get nervous again.

I just can't call it to be honest, the neutrals must be loving it!

Newcastle Utd-33__-17_ ___36
    Norwich
    33___-21____35
    Sunderland--- 33___-08____34
    Stoke City----33___-11____34
    Aston Villa----33___-24____34
    Wigan
    31____-20____31
    QPR
    33____-25____24
    Reading
    33____-27____24

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

SlickRic wrote: »
    "Operation Relegate Stoke" is gathering momentum.

excellent.

Utd and Sunderland both doing their jobs today. even Villa yesterday with another point helped.

it's still on.

BELIEVE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Firstly, not to be stating the obvious though I'm about to, QPR and Reading look doomed.

The third relegation team is a hard one to call. Wigan have the pedigree for pulling clear at this time of year. Aston Villa, could they go down? Yesterday was the type of game they need to be winning. Stoke are in dangerous territory. Sunderland had a massive win today but Everton (H) next is tough. Norwich have Reading (H), Stoke (A) and Villa (H). 3 relegation 6 pointers there that could decide how they'll fair. Newcastle remaining two home games are Liverpool and Arsenal. They might have to plunder points away from home to avoid the drop. West Ham and Southampton have nudged to a safe enough position. A win for each should see them over the line.

My shout for the third relegation spot is Stoke.

Other
    What a massive win for Sunderland yesterday.

The passion and togetherness Di Canio exudes is exactly what is needed in a relegation battle. Already the decision to sack O'Neill looks justified. I know it's just one match, but Di Canio has appeared to light a fire in the belly of the Sunderland players, as well as instilling a sense of team spirit.

Sunderland have some relatively nice fixtures, including Stoke and Southampton at home and Villa away. I think they'll stay up, personally.

I can't understand how Stoke are still relatively long at 4/1 in the bookies - they've picked up just 5 points in 2013. They are, on form, the worst team in the league. They are real contenders to drop imo.

They still have some winnable games, but the problem is a lot of them come away from home, where they have never done brilliantly. Like I said before, their home match against Norwich could be crucial.

I'll stick with my prediction of Villa - their fixtures are the toughest. But it could easily be Wigan or Stoke.

I imagine that Norwich, Newcastle and Sunderland should be safe but who knows - this relegation battle has thrown up a lot of surprises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Other
    Morzadec wrote: »
    I'll stick with my prediction of Villa - their fixtures are the toughest

How do you make that out

Other
    COYVB wrote: »
    How do you make that out

Looking at Wigan's fixtures too they look very tricky, but the reason I'm saying Villa is that I'm giving Wigan the benefit of a home match against Villa on the last day of the season.

Sunderland at home is probably the only remaining game Villa go in as favourites, and I have this feeling that Sunderland have turned a corner and will be tough to beat.

It's well in Villa's hands though - with 3 matches against relegation rivals, if they're good enough to stay up they will.

Just the fact that 2 of them come away from home and the other comes against Sunderland who may not be as easy to beat now.

Plus that goal difference could mean an extra point.

Other
    Actually looking closer at the fixtures I admit I'm probably wrong saying Villa have the toughest fixtures - there's a few games there they can get something from.

Probably have to have Wigan as favourites to go down, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a final day scenario in which Villa are 3 points ahead of Wigan, with a Wigan win being enough to send Villa down on goal difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Other
    Morzadec wrote: »
    Just the fact that 2 of them come away from home and the other comes against Sunderland who may not be as easy to beat now.

Villa's away record is actually better than their home one though. Away games against relegation rivals are preferable to home ones at this stage

Todays result keeps Wigan firmly in the mix albeit with with a game in hand. West Ham and Fulham are surely safe at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Sunderland
    Really starting to get excited about the propect of Stoke's demise. Will feel dirty for cheering on a Redknapp led team this weekend, but hopefully QPR do them.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Really starting to get excited about the propect of Stoke's demise.

It's bloody fantastic isn't it. Jog on in your tracksuit Pulis, jog the **** on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Southampton
    Still think it'll be Wigan to go down ... Stoke to survive (unfortunately)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Southampton
    Wigan unfortunate last night, thought they deserved a point but that's what happens when ya can't put away your chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Norwich at home to Reading have a good chance to get to 38 points this weekend. QPR home to Stoke is an interesting one. While QPR look doomed, a win will thrown then a lifeline at least but will only cose the gap to Stoke to 7 points. West Ham are only a point off 40 and probably should get something from Wigan's trip to Upton Park. Villa have the worst game of all teams down there, having to travel to Old Trafford on Monday night. Sunderland despite last weekend's massive win are not out of trouble at all. They do not do well against Everton. The game being played at SoL doesn't change anything. It'll be Di Canio's first home game though. They'll need to get a least a draw ahead of a trip to Villa next. I don't know what to expect from Newcastle going to West Brom. West Brom are in a safe position. Newcastle will be looking for a reaction to last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

Wigan
    I'd love to see what the FA would do if Wigan play Villa on the last game of the season with bith teams now 3 points ahead of Sunderland or Stoke and only needing a draw for both the stay up - cue the last 10 minutes of Ireland vs Netherlands Italy 1990, dragged out over 90 minutes, no shots on goal, no tackles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Sunderland
    Patser wrote: »
    I'd love to see what the FA would do if Wigan play Villa on the last game of the season with bith teams now 3 points ahead of Sunderland or Stoke and only needing a draw for both the stay up - cue the last 10 minutes of Ireland vs Netherlands Italy 1990, dragged out over 90 minutes, no shots on goal, no tackles.

Not a whole lot they could do. Both teams could argue they were waiting for the other side to come and apply pressure. You'd have a hell of a time trying to prove that they agreed on a draw before hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

Wigan
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Not a whole lot they could do. Both teams could argue they were waiting for the other side to come and apply pressure. You'd have a hell of a time trying to prove that they agreed on a draw before hand.

But imagine the outrage in The Sun and papers like that. It'd be grateful fun to watch.

Other
    Patser wrote: »
    But imagine the outrage in The Sun and papers like that. It'd be grateful fun to watch.

I don't know - it would be very hard to blame them in that situation imo. They're just the breaks and I think both teams would be absolutely retarded to do anything other than play out a 0-0 in that situation.

I'm not sure if any of the papers would be outraged - what could they possibly expect them to do with millions of pounds at stake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Other
    QPR 0-1 Stoke

West Ham 1-0 Wigan

Norwich 1-0 Reading

Scores so far in massive games

Goodbye QPR 2 down.

Wigan 2 down, looking worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Other
    For all the praise Pardew gets for his "astute" signings they're having a bit of a mare of a season. By modern day standards of sackings I wouldn't be surprised if he was chopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

QPR fúcking the Stoke plan up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Aston Villa
    I'd settle for Pulis getting the sack and Stoke maybe becoming less ****e.

**** sake

Reading v QPR - the game of dearth death 1.30 KO I'm open to correction but if this ends in a draw they are both gone.

Reading: McCarthy, Gunter, Kelly, Mariappa, Morrison, Karacan, Guthrie, McCleary, McAnuff, Blackman, Pogrebnyak. Subs: Taylor, Harte, Pearce, Carrico, Robson-Kanu, Hunt, Le Fondre

QPR: Green, Bosingwa, Onuoha, Hill, Traore, Granero, Jenas, Mbia, Taarabt, Remy, Bothroyd. Subs: Cesar, Derry, Park, Mackie, Fabio, Ben Haim, Hoilett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Cant believe how bad qpr have been with the experienced players theyve brought in. Should be some exodus there this summer with the big earners not wanted and probably wont fancy playing the championship. Who will leave i wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

klose wrote: »
    the big earners not wanged

oooh er.

klose wrote: »
    Cant believe how bad qpr have been with the experienced players theyve brought in. Should be some exodus there this summer with the big earners not wanted and probably wont fancy playing the championship. Who will leave i wonder?

Remy will be first out the door, to Liverpool the chatter says.

The way these two are playing you'd think a draw would keep both up not get both relegated.

and bye bye to two crap teams. Cardiff and Hull must be better replacements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Sunderland
    mike65 wrote: »
    and bye bye to two crap teams. Cardiff and Hull must be better replacements.

Terrible game that, considering both teams could have technically stayed up with a win, neither looked like winning.

Interesting times ahead for QPR, they could go bust considering their wage bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Southampton
    Harry having a laugh at the full time whistle, I'm biting my tongue here.

Delighted he's taken them down, hope it's the last we've seen of him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Aston Villa
    In hindsight, Redknapp did an absolutely **** job at QPR.

Advertisement