Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to make a hot port?!

Options
  • 11-12-2012 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I had a hot port in a pub this afternoon.. it was amazing!
    So I went to the off license and asked the girl behind the counter what I should buy.. she said Sandeman tawny port. I happily handed over the 16 euro..
    Now I'm not sure if I have the right bottle?

How do I make it like the yum one I had in the pub (Was Paddy Cullen's in Ballsbridge!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

60mls port
    boiling water
    slice of lemon with 5 cloves in it
    enjoy
    (sugar optional)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    60mls port
    boiling water
    slice of lemon with 5 cloves in it
    enjoy
    (sugar optional)

Great thanks!
    Glad that I bought the right port as I was wondering about ruby port!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Yep as above, most won't add sugar, they may have added a sprinkle of cinnamon or something to it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Sandeman is the one most pubs would use as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ruby port would have been the one for hot port. Tawney will taste fine but is usually more expensive - bit like using a single malt in a hot whiskey.
    Sales assistant was either a bit clueless or was engaging in a bit of up selling!
    Ruby port is usually under a tenner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Great for the olde cold and flu - haven't made one in years. This thread has got me thinking must pick up a good bottle of port for the Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tejula

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a hot poet which was not deep red which to me would mean it was made with a ruby poet or possibly an LBV but less likely to be a tawny. Will probably turn out fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

you typed poet and you didn't know it

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tejula

probably autocorrect thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Don’t forget to heat the glass first. Fill it with boiling water and leave it for a minute before pouring out. Makes a huge difference.

Advertisement